Author Topic: Breastfeeding and contraception  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Soffi

• Learning
Breastfeeding and contraception
« on: April 08, 2012, 07:34:15 PM »
Hi all! Its been about 2 months since the birth of our first baby. I assumed that as long as you breastfeed and havent got your period back there is no chance of getting pregnant (silly me). I just recently found out that you can get pregnant before getting a period because you can ovulate before your bleed. My friend told me that many women often find out their expecting again at their 6 week check up! Yikes!  :o I wanted to know what have you found to be a good contraception method for when your breastfeeding? Im not really for hormonal birth control and plus dont think you can really take them when breastfeeding. Before i used NFP but thats out the window since i havent got my period so cant chart etc..

thanks

Soffi

Offline kcb

• Adept
Re: Breastfeeding and contraception
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
I'm sure there are threads about this.  Unfortunately, there is not an easy answer.  I hope you can find a solution that suits you and your dh.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Homeschool_Newbie

• Adept
  • The best of summer...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 05:14:12 AM »
Soffi,
If you are breastfeeding exclusively, without any supplements, you will *most likely* have at least a few more months until your fertility returns. :) A GREAT read is " Taking Charge Of Your Fertility". This book will clue you in to the signs that your body may be attempting to ovulate again. It is true that it can be tricky to use this type of birth control while breastfeeding. The reason being, is that your body may make *many* attempts to ovulate before it actually does so.
If you read the book, you might choose to use a barrier method during those " iffy" times, which could go on for weeks. I've had b' feeding friends tell me that they have gotten their cycle back anywhere from about 5-14 months postpartum. Just a guess, but it seems like most women have at least 9 months. There's always the exception to the rule, though..I heard of a b'feeding mom who gave birth 13 months after the birth of her baby. ;D My personal experience is that I did not have a period and then ovulated at about 15 months postpartum and got pregnant.  I'm a serious breastfeeder and continue to b'feed about every 3 hours for a long, long time. :) Best wishes to you and your new baby. :) I hope you can enjoy this time without too much fear of getting pregnant, whatever you decide to do. :)
Blessed wife and mom of 5, going on 6 great kiddos... with more babies I can't wait to meet in heaven.

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:24:54 AM »
I would also suggest reading the book " Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing " by Sheila Kippley. So far thats worked for me.

Offline melissag

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 05:07:56 PM »
Just wanted to say I ebf all four of my babies and my periods always return very early.  6 weeks pp to maybe a few months pp.  I've never supplemented.  Some have gotten pacifiers but my period returned even before that.  And that's with being with them 24/7 (not having gone back to work) and co-sleeping.  My SIL got one period back at maybe a year, then didn't have one for a few months again and then got pregnant.
Sorry to ramble...I'm in the same boat as you though!