Author Topic: Lowering oxalates by soaking?  (Read 5581 times)

Offline marmiemama

• Adept
    • www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com
Lowering oxalates by soaking?
« on: March 26, 2012, 05:22:29 PM »
Hello all,
We were on a grain free diet for about five months, and have recently added grains back in.  I'll be purchasing a grinder hopefully next week.  I'm on a low oxalate diet, though, and almost all grains are high in oxalates.  I've been trying to research if soaking your grains will reduce the oxalates enough for them not to be a problem (at least into the medium oxalate range).  I know they will remove phytates, but I haven't seen or heard of anyone being able to add grains back into their diet by soaking first.  I do make coconut flour breads and muffins, but there is nothing like a nice loaf of real bread!
Thanks so much for any advice!
Blessings,
Lisa
"Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  Phil. 4:6-7
www.lovethelordandknityoursocks.blogspot.com

Offline DHW

• Adept
Re: Lowering oxalates by soaking?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 01:05:10 PM »
Check here in the spreadsheet: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/files/Information%20about%20foods/Oxalate%20Spreadsheets/

Search for soak and you will get a few grains to pop up.

It looks like a few grains are low to medium if they are soaked, rinsed, then cooked like pasta in lots of water and drained.  I am not too sure how you could turn cooked grains into bread, though.

There are a few recipes on the yahoo group for breads with alternative grains.  Look for them here:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/files/Recipes/

You do know to always check oxalate status through this group, right?  Other lists are way out-of-date.

Offline marmiemama

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »
Thanks so much...I used to be part of that group, so I just put in an application to re-join.  I also saw an interesting video at www.breadbeckers.com on Redmond Real Salt and Redmond Clay.  The clay taken internally (think it's a bentonite clay) will bind with negatively charged toxins.  When I googled oxaltes and if they are negatively charged, they are.  Ordered some and am going to give it a try.
"Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  Phil. 4:6-7

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
Thanks so much...I used to be part of that group, so I just put in an application to re-join.  I also saw an interesting video at www.breadbeckers.com on Redmond Real Salt and Redmond Clay.  The clay taken internally (think it's a bentonite clay) will bind with negatively charged toxins.  When I googled oxaltes and if they are negatively charged, they are.  Ordered some and am going to give it a try.
Read up on the other things clay will absorb. Long term usage could get you into trouble and nutrient deficiencies.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »
marmiemama, are you planning on ingesting the clay a few minutes before meals to bind with the oxalates?

Offline marmiemama

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:50:06 PM »
Thanks for the tip, boysmama.  I'll google it some more. 
As for how I'll use it, I'm not sure yet.  I was just thinking a teaspoon a day.  I did realize though that the reason that my pain has increased is because of dumping of oxalates after going on a low oxalate diet and adding in the calcium citrate.  Still feeling awful, but hopefully it will pass soon.