Author Topic: Malaria preventative  (Read 4692 times)

Offline InEverything

• Adept
Malaria preventative
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:20:43 AM »
Hello--- my husband and son are going to Peru in May on a mission trip. The doctor who is going with them suggests they take a preventative antibiotic the whole trip :o
I would rather them do something that would not zap their digestive health in the process. Does anyone have a suggestion of something herbal/natural that they could take daily as a precaution?
Thank you!
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Malaria preventative
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:11:15 AM »
Is the prescription an antibiotic or an anti-malaria pill?  There is some difference.
The anti-malarial drugs are not as hard on the digestive system although they do put extra burden on the liver and can affect long term digestion that way if the liver is not supported and cleansed. Malaria is hard on the liver too though as well as making you very sick over all!!! Many times the preventative drugs are preferable to contracting malaria.
How willing you should be to experiment with natural alternatives depends on factors like how high the risk of infections is in which they are staying, what types of malaria are common to that area (some are harder to treat and are best prevented), and what methods are available to guard against mosquitoes and how conscientious they will be used (netting, repellents).

If what you are wanting to avoid are anti-malarial drugs...try this thread. http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3061

For general overseas/international travel concerns and tips try this one. If the drug in question is truly an antibiotic, then there are natural methods of prevention discussed that should help greatly and at least eliminate the need for prophylactic antibiotic usage. http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3899

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:36:45 AM »
Thank you for the links.  There are some really good ideas about boosting the immune system prior to leaving.
The doctor is suggesting an antibiotic to take the whole time.
He also wants flu, pneumonia, yellow fever and tetanus shots. 
I will keep researching and also see what my husband is comfortable with.
Thank you again.  I have been away from WTM awhile and it is good to be back :)
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:12:22 AM »
Hello--- my husband and son are going to Peru in May on a mission trip. The doctor who is going with them suggests they take a preventative antibiotic the whole trip :o
I would rather them do something that would not zap their digestive health in the process. Does anyone have a suggestion of something herbal/natural that they could take daily as a precaution?
Thank you!

I think you have to weigh the risk/benefit of malaria to antibiotics IMO.  I know a couple who were going to Peru as missionaries and they were not concerned about malaria there.   I'm sure that depends on where they are going in the country, but in general it may not be as big an issue as they think.  He could take garlic capsules daily the whole time to help boost his immune system as a preventive.   There are homeopathic mosquito repellents that are VERY effective at deterring being bitten as well.  Put in a spray bottle and sprayed on the skin/clothing lightly each day can prevent being bitten completely (it's also extremely effective for preventing tick bites as well). 

You might also want to look into having them take a malaria homeopathic remedy with them.  If they were to get malaria they could easily take the remedy and it would quickly get rid of the issue.  They do not have to wait until they are deathly ill to take the remedy.  It can be taken on first signs of the malaria. 

Personally, I would not risk putting the drugs into my body.  Instead I would go armed with natural things to take daily as immune boosters (garlic being one of the easiest), homeopathic repellents, and a h-pathic remedy as a "just in case" medication if needed for actually contracting it. 
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 07:23:42 PM »
I really like the garlic recommendation.  I wonder if that helps against yellow fever as well?

These are the recommendations  ( I have already pared the list down a bit with the help of a wise friend who is an RN)
Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Hep. A and Tetanus vaccines and  Doxycycline(?) as a Malaria preventative.

I emailed the missionary who lives in the area to see which things he feels are a real threat.  I will let you know when I hear back.

I would love to just have him take a great probiotic, garlic capsules and mosquito repellant  :)
I would also like to not offend the doctor who is going on the trip with them

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:58:39 AM »

I would also like to not offend the doctor who is going on the trip with them

Almost impossible when you're considering anything natural unless the guy has some natural bend.  I would not vaccinate for anything given the risks of vaccination.  But I speak after having 3 damaged kids by them so I'm jaded.
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 04:49:28 AM »
I am leaning toward not wanting to vaccinate for anything after doing a lot of research last night.  The chances of malaria and yellow fever are so small! Especially in the area they are going (southern Peru).  And they are also not going in peak mosquito season.
Unfortunately the missionary down there just agreed that they should have everything on the list.
I am going to give my dh my research and then let him make the final decision.
Thanks again

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 07:44:36 AM »
I wanted to update you on what some others are doing for this trip.
Two others are taking homeopathic drops for each of the illnesses that are a risk.
I have never used homeopathics.... would some of you mind giving me your opinion?

I am still thinking of having them take garlic pills everyday, maybe pau d'arco pills daily and a probiotic.  Also, to avoid sugar as much as possible.
They will also use bug spray.

Of course covering them in prayer is the biggest thing!

Medicinally do you think we have it covered or are the homeopathics a better choice?  Thank you!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 06:04:14 AM »
I would add echineacea tincture 2 or more times per day and elderberry extracts, vit C, and some extra Vit D3 to enhance immune response and help mediate travel stress.