Author Topic: Skullcap for adrenal problems in pregnancy  (Read 4923 times)

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
Skullcap for adrenal problems in pregnancy
« on: February 16, 2012, 05:15:05 PM »
I really, really need some help. I feel like I've exhausted every option and I just can't continue like this.

Several weeks ago, at about 12 weeks, I still had morning sickness, but I was able to eat. I was running errands with my husband, etc. One morning I woke up severely ill, unable to keep anything down, with severe shaking and feeling like I was having one panic attack after another (hot, then chills, shivering, tingling, chest pain, etc.). I literally felt like I had no control of my body.

After about a week and half of that, I started going in to get IV's with B6 at my old doctor's office, and my midwife had me getting acupuncture every day. My acupuncturist and midwife believed that my "adrenals crashed" from all of the activity. They put me on valerian root.

I finally started to feel like I was turning a corner - again, I was able to eat, so I felt better. My mom flew in to help us with the kids, and while I was at the acupuncture appointment with my husband, my four-year-old had an accident involving her eye and a knife. My mom called us home (we were close by), and we rushed her to the hospital where they did emergency surgery to save her eye. She has permanent vision loss and disfigurement in her eye.

All of the stress of the hospital stay, etc., was pushed aside as we were helping our daughter. Then, a few days ago, I woke up with the same thing again - severe nausea, shaking, panic attacks, the whole thing. I immediately went in for acupuncture and an IV, and it was helping. But now I'm at a point where I feel like I can deal with the nausea, even though it's very hard, but I need these feelings of panic - almost like a heart attack! - to go away!

The valerian root is just not really working, so my midwife recommended today skullcap tincture - but when I google it, it says that it's not safe during pregnancy?

I'm 15 weeks now, and desperate. Is skullcap safe, and is there anything else that can help?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
Re: Skullcap for adrenal problems in pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 06:05:49 PM »
I recomend you check into  Mountain Meadow Herbs Adrenal Aid II for pregnant and nursing women...they are a good company

http://www.mountainmeadowherbs.com/Adren_L_Aid_II_p/a2000.htm

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
I am sorry that you are going through such a rough time!  It does sound like adrenal burnout.  In that case you will need to do lots of support measures for an extended period of time, at least through delivery, probably longer.  Pregnancy compounds the problem in that if your adrenals are weak then your body will piggyback on the baby's adrenals when they become functional.  You will feel better from the boost you are getting from the baby's adrenals, but it compromises adrenal function in the infant. 

Definitely read James Wilson's book on adrenal fatigue.  He has a line of supplements (kind of pricey), but you can make selections based on his recommendations. 

As I recall, he recommends magnesium (not mag oxide) to be taken orally to bowel tolerance plus mag chloride topically and/or epsom salt baths/foot soaks, B vitamins (esp B6), vitamin C (divided doses through the day), and licorice (DGL) are all recommended, plus several others.  You might consider an adrenal extract like Std Process Drenamin or Metagenix Adrenogen.  Severe cases may require Isocort.  No caffeine, no chocolate, no sugar, but add lots of protein and veggies.  Rest, rest, rest.  It may take a while to heal, so be patient with yourself!

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »
Thank you SO, SO much. The diet recommendations are great. My husband things I'm just going crazy and doesn't believe I really need to rest - but every time I try to do too much, I end up like this. I've never had anything like this before, so it's a little hard for us to understand. My midwife actually just recommended the Standard Process Drenamin, so I'm going to try that., but it relieves me to see that someone else suggested it, too. 

Will Drenamin make these symptoms go away? Or start to improve them? I'm also taking "rescue remedy", and it doesn't really help, but it makes me feel better to be doing something for the problem.

I also notice that every day I feel a tiny bit better. It's still not fun, but is that typical of adrenal issues?

Does anyone know if skullcap tincture is safe? I'm wondering if it's OK to take that until I can get the Drenamin.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:00:06 PM by prolifeguyswife »

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:47:43 AM »
I actually have some Drenamin here I dont want!    Also Mountain Meadow herbs has a pregnancy safe Herbal Calcium that contains Skullcap, they say dont use it during early pregnancy as it may stimulate contractions.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 05:20:03 AM »
So I wonder if 15 weeks is still early pregnancy?

Also, I'm reading that adrenal fatigue is usually just fatigue, but I don't have a lot of fatigue. The biggest problem is that I feel like my body spazzes out if I hear a loud noise, and sometimes if nothing happens at all. Also, both times that this has happened (and then it lasts for at least a week or more), I've woken up with it - like I kind of feel OK the night before, but then I wake up feeling like this. Sometimes my limbs will shake badly and I can't walk by myself. Does this still sound like an adrenal problem?

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
Bump  :)

If the skullcap isn't ok, is there an anxiety remedy that's safe? I really need something ASAP.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »
Mangesium citrate will calm anxiety almost immedietly. ALso fish oil helps within 2 weeks. Both are pregnancy safe......