Author Topic: MCL, Meniscus Injuries and Tendonitis  (Read 2771 times)

Offline PraiseGod

• Wide Eyed
MCL, Meniscus Injuries and Tendonitis
« on: January 19, 2012, 03:50:51 PM »
I am a fifteen year old girl, and I love to run. Unfortunately, last spring (2011) I injured my right knee while running with my brother in the rain. I continued to run for a while, but eventually had to give it up because of the pain. I started using the eliptical machine, but that bothered my knee as well. Now I am cycling, which seems to work a little better. However, while cycling I developed hamstring tendonitis behind my left knee, and I still have pain in my right knee. So if anyone has ideas about how to correct meniscus and MCL ( Medial Crucial Ligament) injuries as well as hamstring tendonitis, I would be grateful for your help! Anything from physical therapy exercises to anti-inflammitory herbs or anything!

Offline kcb

• Adept
Re: MCL, Meniscus Injuries and Tendonitis
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »
You are not on a low-fat or vegan diet are you?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:27:34 AM »

It sounds like you are lacking in fats which can give a propensity to injury.  But the only way to truly heal a ligament injury (having just spent the last year doing that) is not using it.  Bracing it when you walk, but no exercise.  That is only going to aggravate it.  You really can't do physical therapy until it has healed.  Think of it like trying to make a stretched out rubberband be not so stretched out.   :P  That's a tall order.  The other thing I used besides not using it and bracing it are Hylands Cell Salts numbers 1, 2, and 12.  Especially 12 as it helps to tighten up loose tissues.  I took 4 pellets 3x's a day for the entire year.  I noticed more difference with doing the salts then I did the bracing even.  But for now, you need to stop exercising with it or you're going to tear it.  And that means surgery.
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline PraiseGod

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 04:29:51 AM »
Thanks for the ideas! I'm not on a vegan or low fat diet, I do eat pretty healthy though thanks to Mom! Sorry I took so long to post again, but shortly after I wrote my original post I went to the doctor and was running in two weeks with no pain!

Here's what the doctor told me: my VMO (the muscle on your inner thigh, connecting to the knee) was not nearly as strong as my quadriceps (the muscle on the opposite side) so my quad was pulling my knee cap out of alignment. This easy exercie had me running again.

Here are the exercises: stand with your feet turned out (not WAY out but just turned to the outside about 45 degrees or so) and bend your knees a little. Turning your feet out takes your quads out of the equation. lay your hands on your inner thigh just above your knee ( fingertips touching the knee) and flex the muscle under your hand 20 times fast and 5 times slow. It takes practice, but if you do that a couple times a day it really helps! Even when the pain is gone, keep doing them, make it a habit. I didn't and I recently noticed a pain in my knee again, so keep on those exercises!

So If anyone out there has the same problem I did, I hope this helps you as much as it did me! Happy running!