Author Topic: Herb Safety [Herbs to Avoid] in Pregnancy and Nursing  (Read 94267 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Herb Safety [Herbs to Avoid] in Pregnancy and Nursing
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »
does anyone know what the reasoning is behind not using aloe while pregnant or nursing?  hubby is wanting me to use it & i am nursing, off to google it and see.....
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »
does anyone know what the reasoning is behind not using aloe while pregnant or nursing?  hubby is wanting me to use it & i am nursing, off to google it and see.....

It's a purgative (strong laxative) that's why it's not used while preggo. Might do the same thing to the baby- that's why it's not used while nursing.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2010, 12:01:40 PM »
i thought you COULD do aloe vera while nursing!! is that different then aloe???

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2010, 05:45:15 PM »
i thought you COULD do aloe vera while nursing!! is that different then aloe???

i'm thinking they are the same. 

thanks herbalmom, he really goes fine now, it's me with issues.  :-\
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2010, 11:43:24 PM »
I have a friend that wants to know if milk thistle is safe during pregnany.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2010, 06:38:15 AM »
Yes, in fact my midwife recommends it for some with bad morning sickness.

-H

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2010, 09:36:52 AM »
I've used milk thistle several times, very safe IMO.

Offline torpesita

• Learning
Herbs to heal perineal tears??
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2010, 08:19:07 AM »
I am 5 days post partum and looking for ways to speed and assist in the healing of a 2nd degree tear and stitches.Any suggestions on herbs that are safe while breastfeeding? I had thought of Gotu Kola for it's tissue repairing and circulatory benefits, (was thinking of taking it to help get over some vericose veins too) ...i've got quite a bit of swelling too...any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2010, 01:43:28 PM »
Torpesita,
For information on safe herbs for the perineal tear check these threads that are more specific to your question.
Perineal Tearing from Childbirth

Episiotomy Care (slightly different than a tear, but healing methods are really the same)

For info on reducing the varicose veins check this thread.
Vericous [Vericose] Veins: Treatment Options & Pain Relief

This thread is for asking questions about the safety of specific herbs, so please ask further questions about each topic in the other threads.
Thanks!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2010, 01:50:35 PM »
Bumping this question for torpesita....I'm having a vague recollection that it is not, but don't have time to look it up right now. Anyone have time?

Is Gota Kola safe while breastfeeding?

Offline nomadicjcfollower

• Adept
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »
Anyone know if you can take Melatonin while BFing? A pharmacist told me it does enter breast milk, but is a low dose harmful to baby? Any other suggests for helping mom sleep while getting up with a baby through the night? I have a hard time falling back asleep and wake easily. I am exhausted!!!

Offline kymmy123

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2011, 04:46:31 AM »
Thanks so much for all the info. I am guessing that Spirulina and Kelp should be ok to continue with??? I am going to miss all my teas that I have been drinking from BHS. Suprising that something that can be so good for you can be harmful during pregnancy, but I am glad that I am reading this now being 6 weeks into a pregnancy. Thank you for posting all the info.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2011, 07:59:34 AM »
Spirulina and kelp are foods and as long as you use them in moderation they are safe while pregnant. 

I don't know what teas you are used to drinking, but Rooibos in one that would be safe to drink while pregnant.   It is very healthy and is even safe for babies.

Look up information on the individual herbs in teas.  Many are labeled to not use while pregnant or b/f as a precaution because they are not proven safe -- rather than there being proof of harm.  Look up why for individual herbs.   
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline kymmy123

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
Thank you. I will look up each one. There are many websites and lots of info when I quickly looked into it earlier. I drink the stress zapper tea, the pumpkin pie tea, the Dr. Cinnamon tea, and I use the Daily Herbal Boost along with taking spirulina and kelp every day. I will look into each herb individually though. I have a 19 year old, 17 year old, and a 4 and a  1/2 year old. I also had three miscarriages. Two within the last few years and one was 18 years ago. The last pregnancy was ectopic. Just want to do my part and be wise about what I am putting into my body. Love the herbs and would hate to stop using them if I don't have to.   Thank you again.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2012, 10:25:37 AM »
I'm sorry I posted this on the adrenal thread, too, but I'm feeling desperate. I'm 16 weeks pregnant, is l-theanine safe for adrenal issues and massive anxiety? I also have really bad morning sickness, which I'm shocked hasn't improved yet, so I need to know if l-theanine will cause nausea if it is safe. Thanks

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2012, 07:40:35 PM »
It does not look as if there have been human trials on theanine for use during pregnancy, but the rat studies used high doses with no adverse affects according to the livestrong website.

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2012, 04:01:39 AM »
Thanks...so I guess that means I would be experimenting. Bummer, I was hoping that it would be proven safe. I guess I need a really good anti-anxiety remedy, then!

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »
Does anyone know how you can tell if supplements are safe if they are not tested in humans during pregnancy? I keep hearing great things about L-Theanine, and I'm having pretty severe anxiety that magnesium is not really helping. L-Theanine has been tested in rats, but not humans, so I was wondering if there's a rule of thumb with natural supplements like this? Is there a way to research and figure out if it would be safe? I know it's not an herb, but it's extracted from tea leaves, and it's scientific names are Gamma-ethylamino-L-glutamic acid; derived from Boletus badius and Camellia sinensis.

Thanks, I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to research this.

Offline JennieJuneBug

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2012, 11:27:54 AM »
My Sister is Breastfeeding her 5 month old. My question is, is Goldenseal safe to take (at least a small amount) while breastfeeding? I did some searches but constantly find different articles that contradict each other. if its safe enough, she was going to take it in a Echinacea/Goldenseal tincture for her cold/sinus infection, that just wont seem to completely go away.
"...You Rise With Healing In Your Wings
Your Will For Me Is Life, Abundantly Healed, Filled and Free......Your My Great Physician"

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2012, 07:11:41 AM »
I have used it in small amounts while breastfeeding. I would not use it during pregnancy at all.

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2012, 06:05:11 PM »
I have used it as well while nursing, both for colds and mastitis.