Author Topic: Herb Safety [Herbs to Avoid] in Pregnancy and Nursing  (Read 95796 times)

Offline miamama

• Adept
    • Picking Up Socks for Jesus
Re: Herb Safety [Herbs to Avoid] in Pregnancy and Nursing
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2008, 05:05:08 AM »
Are things like tansy and rosemary ok to use in a sachet for camping  while pregnant. They are on the no-no list during pregnancy, but does that just mean internally?  I think I can figure the answer, but I just want to be sure.
Thanks in advance.  :)
Visit my blog   Picking Up Socks for Jesus
http://www.pickingupsocksforjesus.blogspot.com

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2008, 08:30:21 AM »
Any consensus on tea tree oil or lavender oil, used on the skin? Many sites say they are not safe, but you know how some places just declare everything to be unsafe. My big concern would be that they would cause more estrogen production (pregnant with a boy). But at this point I need all the help I can get with a persistent fungal infection.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2008, 08:48:55 AM »
Any consensus on tea tree oil or lavender oil, used on the skin? Many sites say they are not safe, but you know how some places just declare everything to be unsafe. My big concern would be that they would cause more estrogen production (pregnant with a boy). But at this point I need all the help I can get with a persistent fungal infection.

I used tea tree oil to treat a yeasty rash on my thigh while pg with my last at the recommendation of my midwife.  I also took lavender baths almost daily.  And I used it in a massage oil for my back and legs.  My midwife didn't seem to think there were any risks with either of them.  Of course my last 2 were girls.  Not sure what this one is, but I'm still taking lavender baths and using the massage oil.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2009, 05:37:11 AM »
I am wondering if anyone knows if my baby will get Oregon Grape Root through my breastmilk? 

She is about 24-25lbs and is 11 months old.  She had a clear stuffy nose and congestion/coughing.  I started giving her lobelia, which worked wonders (i love it) and gave great improvement within 24 hours.  She expelled mucous, slept so much better and achieved relief from teething. 

I was always taught by my midwives to take echinacea, garlic and vit c after baby was born if there was an illness in the house because the baby would get just the right amount of echinacea she needed through my milk.  I do not have tincture form of oregon grape root, only capsules.  Her snot has turned greenish now and I read oregon grape root is specific to the green mucous.  I tried giving it to her in juice with little success. 

What do you think? 
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2009, 03:54:31 PM »
I am not sure if this is the best place to post this question but I knew not to start a new thread.  I have spent so much time on here trying to search for an answer to my question and am not finding it, although I'm sure its here somewhere. 
I am developing a terrible fever blister, huge actually and very painful.  Right under my nose b/c I have been blowing it so much.  In the past I have always put tea tree oil on this but was not sure it is safe to use topically during pregnancy.
I am 6 weeks and since its so early, I was afraid to try it b/c I read somewhere on here that it can raise estrogen levels.  anyone on here have safe results using it during pregnancy?
Also, I am fighting a terrible cold going on 3 days now.  I am taking my regular prenatal vitamins and fish oils and pro biotics and I started taking some extra vit C.  Anyone else have any safe suggestions for fighting a cold.  In the past I would have immediately started taking Berry Well but I was not sure it was safe during pregnancy. 
thanks so much!

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2009, 06:20:03 PM »
I used undiluted tea tree oil all over my face to prevent acne twice a day every day before, during, and after my pregnancy with no problems.   Also, Mountain Rose Herbs makes no precautions for its use during pregnancy, and they're usually pretty conservative with their precautions.  You might also try globbing on some Eden Salve or Miracle Salve.

I also used Berry Well once or twice during my pregnancy.  I looked up elderberry on Mountain Rose Herbs and it doesn't have any pregnancy precautions, either.  When I had colds my midwife usually had me take echinacea - either one cup or one dropper-full of tincture - every two hours (something about it only lasting in your system that long), drink at least 16 cups of water each day, and have at last one cup of yogurt in addition to my probiotics.  But the thing that I found absolutely the most helpful was doing a garlic poultice on my chest at night for as long as I could stand it - when it started burning, I would just move it to a different chunk of skin.  I could always tell the difference the next morning if I did the poultice or not. 
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2009, 02:27:43 AM »
thanks so much for your help!  I have eden salve and miracle salve too and didn't even think about using that for a fever blister!

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2009, 08:40:10 AM »
Does anyone know about taking Hoodia while nursing? I read online that you shouldn't take it while pregnant, but that the only effect while nursing would be appetite suppresion. Mostly for mom, but baby would get a little. My guess would be that if you took it at night when you're not nursing baby (as long as he doesn't eat at all at night because he's sleeping) then your body would filter it so not so much would be in your morning milk. I also read that there were no known bad effects from it. Just wondering what any of you knew!

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but it looked like the place to post my question and I didn't want to start a new thread for it...

I'm three months pregnant and am rather confused as to whether or not elderberry is safe to take during pregnancy...my midwife didn't know so I did an Internet search on it and got conflicting information.  Several different elderberry caps and syrups said that pregnant/nursing women shouldn't take them, but then both the Bulk Herb Store and More Than Alive said that elderberries were fine to take "before, during or after pregnancy, and nursing".  I have a bottle of Honey Gardens Apitherapy Elderberry Syrup (that, as far as I can tell, is very, very similar to Berry Well) and really want to take it as I have a cough that I haven't been able to shake (which ends up aggravating my morning [all-day!] sickness...not a good cycle).   So...any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you so much!
~Jessica
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline Mamatoto

• Adept
    • Lanae and Baby
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »
Check out response #65.  HTH
These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.  Deut 6:6-7

www.facebook.com/LanaeLeavittArbonneConsultant

Offline LilyEilis

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
Thank you, Mamatoto...I must have missed that one!
"...Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls." ~1 Peter 1:7f-9

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2009, 06:05:42 AM »
Does anyone know what the problem with kola nut berry while nursing would be? I have a really good supplement I want to take that has kola nut berry in it, but I'm nursing my 5-month-old. I really trust the company that makes it, and they say there are only negligible amounts of kola nut berry in the product.

I know that kola nut berry has caffeine, but would a tiny amount of caffeine hurt? What if I took it right after he nursed, so that it would run through my system by the time he nurses again 5 hours later?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 06:11:53 AM by prolifeguyswife »

Offline cpsenter

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2009, 11:47:49 PM »
Could someone help me PLEASE!
I am up in the middle of the night and have been on here searching and cannot find this answer.
I am nursing a 5 week old and I have a TERRIBLE sore throat. Normally I would be taking bee immune and vit C every hour but I was not sure about it nursing.
does anyone have any experience taking bee immune while nursing?
is it ok as far as you know?
I have tried contacting Beeyoutiful as well and cannot get an answer.
Please.... anyone?
thanks so much!

Offline djsnjones

• Adept
    • The Dr. Brewer Pregnancy Diet
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2009, 07:26:34 AM »
I offer this page of my website.  As far as I know, all of those suggestions are safe for nursing, although the garlic might give the milk an unpleasant taste, so you could either bypass that one, or ease into it to see if she objects....

http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id58.html

You could also check with these sources about how much Cold-Eeze is safe during breastfeeding...

http://www.askdrsears.com/

http://www.kellymom.com/

http://www.llli.org/nb.html

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul98p43.html

Joy

Offline abcathome

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2010, 09:52:06 AM »
I know this thread is very old and hasn't been posted to for a while, but I'm needing help. 

I've been having this nasty stuffy nose/drainage thing for a couple months now.  I'm thinking it's what happens to some women while pregnant...just stuffiness.  But with the stuffiness comes the drainage and I simply can't breathe!

I'm 17 weeks pregnant and my OB (I have never used a midwife) has said that Sudafed and Mucinex are okay to take, but the OB we used for our first 2 boys wouldn't let me take Sudafed and a quick-care doc told me a few weeks ago not to take Mucinex.  I've not liked taking the Sudafed with the baby, as I know it can do funky things to heart rate, blood pressure, and slow blood flow to the uterus.  BUT, I need to breathe!  LOL  I'm quite miserable without taking the Sudafed.

So my question is this:  are there any NATURAL herbs/remedies to help relieve the stuffiness?  I have tried doing Vicks tents (like a Netti-Pot) and it doesn't really help.  I have looked at the Bulik Herb Store and on Shonda Parker's website, and just got confused.  LOL 

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline djsnjones

• Adept
    • The Dr. Brewer Pregnancy Diet
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
I would recommend that you look at the links that I posted on Dec. 11, 2009, just above your post.  Specifically, the use of the suggestions on the "Colds and Flu" page that I list there may help you.  If you have any questions about what you see through those links, please feel free to contact me.

I would also suggest that you avoid all NSAIDS.  The info that I have concerning the dangers of using these medications is related primarily to their use while treating the symptoms of the flu, but I'm thinking that if you are using one of them, it may be contributing to your problems as well, even if you are not recovering from the flu.  According to the following articles, these medications seem to increase the amount of fluid in the lungs, so I'm thinking that if you are using one of them, it may be increasing the fluids in the rest of your respiratory system as well.

As I said, these medications apparently increase the amount of fluid in the lungs, which leads to pneumonia, which seems to be one of the main causes of hospitalization and death from the swine flu. So the point is that the deaths that we are seeing are quite likely from treating the fevers inappropriately, rather than from the flu itself....These medications would include aspirin (Excedrin, Bufferin, Bayer), acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen (Advil, Midol, Motrin, Nuprin, Genpril, Ibu), and naproxen (Aleve).

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/338/jun15_1/b2345

http://www.wddty.com/major-pain-relieving-drug-linked-to-asthma.html

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/606060

Best wishes,
Joy
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:40:13 AM by djsnjones »

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2010, 10:36:49 AM »
abcathome,

Rabbit Tobacco works really well for relieving congestion (and it kills viruses and bacteria). It can be really hard to find for sale, though (it's an old Native American medicine). I have been selling it but I've stopped taking new orders. You might be able to buy some from hi_itsgwen, so pm her and ask if she has any.

Here's some info on Rabbit tobacco (start with this post and read the rest of the thread --it's a fast read)....
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,19973.msg242068.html#msg242068

There are also a couple of links, in that thread, for places you might be able to buy some.

WR
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 10:38:37 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2010, 10:54:12 AM »
This really helps with stuffy noses & is safe during pregnancy:

The idea is to snuff salt water up the nose to clean out the sinuses & reduce any possible swelling. The Eustachian tubes are connected to the back of the sinuses-that's where the fluid she is feeling is. If the sinuses are clogged w/goop or swollen the Eustachian tubes can't drain. Try mixing 1/4 teas sea w/1 cup warm water. Pour some into the palm of the hand, plug one nostril & snuff the salt water up the other nostril into the sinuses. Repeat. When you work your way through the gook in the sinuses the salt water ends up in the back of your throat & you spit it out. Repeat on each side several times. She will gag & it is not a pleasent treatment but it works to clear the sinuses. Maybe this will help, I hope it does.

The thread this is quoted from has other methods as well to help clear stuffed sinuses. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline abcathome

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »
I would also suggest that you avoid all NSAIDS.  The info that I have concerning the dangers of using these medications is related primarily to their use while treating the symptoms of the flu, but I'm thinking that if you are using one of them, it may be contributing to your problems as well, even if you are not recovering from the flu.  According to the following articles, these medications seem to increase the amount of fluid in the lungs, so I'm thinking that if you are using one of them, it may be increasing the fluids in the rest of your respiratory system as well.

Joy, thanks for that information!  I have been downing Tylenol every 4-5 hours because of the constant headache from all the coughing and sniffing...so this could very well be contributing to my problem.  :(

Offline abcathome

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2010, 11:58:53 AM »
abcathome,

You might be able to buy some from hi_itsgwen, so pm her and ask if she has any.

Here's some info on Rabbit tobacco (start with this post and read the rest of the thread --it's a fast read)....
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,19973.msg242068.html#msg242068

WR

WR,

Thanks so much for the links and the helpful information.  WOW.  I'm thoroughly impressed with RT in what I've read.  I'm checking with hi_itsgwen to see if she has any to sell...I tried looking in the Bulk Herb Store to see if they had it, but couldn't find it under any of the different names given for RT and it's varieties.  My OB is very reluctant to giving me anything else and said on the phone this afternoon that Sudafed isn't recommended for me (when just 4 weeks ago they said it was fine for me!!!  Grr....   ??? >:(  )  I'm just looking for relief at this point that is safe. 

I have looked back into the "nasal cleansing" that was mentioned, but my gag reflex is just SO sensitive right now that I'm worried it will make me gag and vomit.  :( 

*sigh*

Thanks (so far) for all the help and replies.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2010, 08:20:34 AM »
can you do caprylic acid while pregnant? I've been reading no, but I saw beeyoutiful has it in their anti yeast preggo pack which made me reconsider. I just bought some NOW caprylic acid (which I believe is the same as beeyoutifuls just before being repackaged) for a yeast infection and then just found out I was preggo. Wondering if I can still take it...

Offline petersgirl

• Learning
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
can you do caprylic acid while pregnant? I've been reading no, but I saw beeyoutiful has it in their anti yeast preggo pack which made me reconsider. I just bought some NOW caprylic acid (which I believe is the same as beeyoutifuls just before being repackaged) for a yeast infection and then just found out I was preggo. Wondering if I can still take it...
I took caprylic acid for most of my last pregnancy (the NOW brand) and had no problems.   It really seemed effective in helping with some yeast and now I need to reorder it.   I had had chronic athletes foot for years and it seemed to cure it.   I hope that it is helpful for you!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2010, 06:09:59 PM »
thank you!!

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2010, 03:42:41 PM »
Anybody know if cilantro is okay?  I'm not talking about taking it medicinally, just in pico de gallo or salsa on occasion.  DH likes a BUNCH of cilantro.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2010, 05:03:36 PM »
Hm. I eat it all the time!!! So I HOPE so!!! :) I eat my salsa like everyday and I eat it w/ TONS of cilantro in it! :)

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2010, 08:22:28 AM »
Any ideas on yarrow root and pregnancy?  I found one or two sites that say not to use it during pregnancy - can be a uterine stimulant.  But then I found a lot of them that don't say anything about avoiding it during pregnancy.  Just wondering if anyone out there knows?

YoopreMama

« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2010, 03:34:04 PM »
NOT TO BE USED DURING PREGNANCY, OR IF YOU ARE NURSING:
Alkanet, Aloe, Angelica, Anise, Anise Star, Arnica, Ashwaganda, Barley Grass, Barberry, Basil, Bitter Melon, Black Cohosh, Bladderwrack, Blessed Thistle, Blood Root, Blue Cohosh, Blue Flag, Blue Vervain, Borage, Buckthorn, Buuterbur, California Poppy, Cascara Sagrada, Catnip, Cedar Berry, Celandine, Celery, Chervil, Cinnamon, Club Moss, Comfrey, Coltsfoot, Cubeb, Damiana, Dong Quai, Elecampane, Ephedra, False Unicorn, Fenugreek, Feverfew, Forsythia, Garcinia, Ginger, Golden Seal, Gravel root, Guarana, Guggul Gum, Gymnema, Horehound, Horsetail, Hyssop, Juniper, Kola Nut, Lemongrass, Licorice, Lobelia, Lovage, Lungwort, Mace, Mistletoe, Motherwort, Mugwort, Muira Puama, Myrrh, Neem, Oregon Grape, Osha, Parsley, Partridgeberry, Passionflower, Pennyroyal, Pleurisy, Prickly Ash, Quassia, Red Clover, Rhodiola, Rosemary, Rue, Sage, Sassafras, Sarsaparilla, Senna, Shepherds Purse, Spikenard, Tansy, Turkey Rhubarb, Turmeric, Uva Ursi, Vitex, Watercress, White Sage, Wild Cherry, Wormwood, Yarrow

From Mountain Rose Herbs.
I have not heard much use for Yarrow ROOT (so please do tell how you use it), but this list above mentions it, generally speaking.

It's an astringent...stops bleeding, and is very good for colds.  http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_yarrow.htm tells more.

It is a uterine stimulant, but not sure in what doses--sounds like small doses are OK.  Is there an alternative herb you can use?

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2010, 06:36:51 PM »
NOT TO BE USED DURING PREGNANCY, OR IF YOU ARE NURSING:
Alkanet, Aloe, Angelica, Anise, Anise Star, Arnica, Ashwaganda, Barley Grass, Barberry, Basil, Bitter Melon, Black Cohosh, Bladderwrack, Blessed Thistle, Blood Root, Blue Cohosh, Blue Flag, Blue Vervain, Borage, Buckthorn, Buuterbur, California Poppy, Cascara Sagrada, Catnip, Cedar Berry, Celandine, Celery, Chervil, Cinnamon, Club Moss, Comfrey, Coltsfoot, Cubeb, Damiana, Dong Quai, Elecampane, Ephedra, False Unicorn, Fenugreek, Feverfew, Forsythia, Garcinia, Ginger, Golden Seal, Gravel root, Guarana, Guggul Gum, Gymnema, Horehound, Horsetail, Hyssop, Juniper, Kola Nut, Lemongrass, Licorice, Lobelia, Lovage, Lungwort, Mace, Mistletoe, Motherwort, Mugwort, Muira Puama, Myrrh, Neem, Oregon Grape, Osha, Parsley, Partridgeberry, Passionflower, Pennyroyal, Pleurisy, Prickly Ash, Quassia, Red Clover, Rhodiola, Rosemary, Rue, Sage, Sassafras, Sarsaparilla, Senna, Shepherds Purse, Spikenard, Tansy, Turkey Rhubarb, Turmeric, Uva Ursi, Vitex, Watercress, White Sage, Wild Cherry, Wormwood, Yarrow

From Mountain Rose Herbs.
I have not heard much use for Yarrow ROOT (so please do tell how you use it), but this list above mentions it, generally speaking.

It's an astringent...stops bleeding, and is very good for colds.  http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_yarrow.htm tells more.

It is a uterine stimulant, but not sure in what doses--sounds like small doses are OK.  Is there an alternative herb you can use?

HAHAHAHAH!  What a dork I am.  I don't use Yarrow root.  In fact, I'm too cheap to use any root so far.  :D   It is a flower.  ;D  Some sites say don't use it at all and other sites say to use it in small amounts.  I had a friend ask me and I don't want to lead her astray.  I think I'll just tell her that it might be safer to not use it until we find out more info on it.

Offline herb fever

• Learning
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2010, 08:46:49 AM »
The Botanical Safety Handbook also has yarrow contraindicated in pregnancy. Matt Wood says it shouldn't be taken in large doses during pregnancy, but may be appropriate in small doses.

Hi Yooper,

I will be tincturing Yarrow root this year. Michael Moore(materia medica cd's) says it is great for toothache.

Hope you are well.

YoopreMama

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2010, 06:04:20 PM »
The Botanical Safety Handbook also has yarrow contraindicated in pregnancy. Matt Wood says it shouldn't be taken in large doses during pregnancy, but may be appropriate in small doses.

Hi Yooper,

I will be tincturing Yarrow root this year. Michael Moore(materia medica cd's) says it is great for toothache.

Hope you are well.
HI!  ;D

VERY interesting...thanks for sharing!  :-*  All's well here...