Author Topic: Pregnancy and Itchy Skin  (Read 10623 times)

Offline Julia

• Master
Pregnancy and Itchy Skin
« on: November 17, 2008, 11:24:49 AM »
Can someone help me figure out why my skin is itching so badly? I remember itching at the end of pregnancy on my belly mostly before but this is getting to be all over.

Could I be more sensitive to perfumes or chemicals on my clothing that didn't bother me before? Has that happened to anyone?

I don't think it's dry skin, we live in a humid climate and the salves I am using (w/comfrey, calendula, plantain, grape seed or olive oil, dead sea salt) do not seem to help.

I don't know about a candida issue, it's possible, but the itching has only been around for a few weeks and my diet has not changed much. I am going to get back on the probiotics with more kombucha (brewing now) and make some more yogurt. Plus my salve has dead sea salt in it and it doesn't seem to help.

Could it be from all the vitamins I am taking? My midwife had me taking 2 Supermoms a day, plus alfalfa/red rasp./oatstraw/nettle tea - with about 2 cups of herb in the tea every day, and I've been fighting off a cold so I've been getting lots of vitamin C, elderberry tincture, and some ginger, garlic, & sage. I am starting to take cod liver oil and I think I will cut out the Supermoms till I know what's going on.

I don't have a rash, mostly having problems on the upper part of my belly where the shirt hits and my chest. My legs itch from varicose veins anyway. My arms itch but not overwhelmingly.

Thanks, I hope someone has some ideas!

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
Re: Pregnancy and Itchy Skin
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:36:36 AM »
I had itchiness with my pregnancies, but mine was accompanied by small welts and would move around to different parts of my body.  My doctor told me I was allergic to being pregnant :o (I can't remember the exact diagnosis, but this was how she explained it to me.)  I took benadryl when it got to be too bad.  I don't know what I would do now.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:03:47 PM »
I always just thought extra itchiness was from my skin stretching everywhere....no new detergent or soap? Did you just start the SM? new bra? I'm very sensitive to certain bra materials?

YoopreMama

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:04:21 PM »
Julia--I'm sorry about the itchies!   >:(  I SO empathize with you. 

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2151.0.html may have some tips.

Another thread on Itchy/PG is here http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4904.0.html, but the location, I think, is different than yours.

As far as itch goes, salves never worked for me, no matter the ingredients.  Diluted DSS or ACV works the best for relieving itch and healing the rash, for me.  And if they DO work, it gives you a clue about the nature of your rash...;)

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »
With my second preg. I had the same thing, only they called it pregnancy rash.  Real original!!!  ::)  I thought I would die.  The only natural thing that helped me was stripping and getting in the tub.  I remember one time I was at a friends house and all the sudden I couldn't take the itching anymore.  I asked her if I could get in her tub!  I didn't care how impolite I was, I had to get in.  I never added anything to the water, just the water was enough to calm it down.  A few times I had to take the steroids the doc gave me b/c I wasn't always able to get in the tub.  Sometimes you have to do what you don't really want to do.  I only took them a couple of times, but she ended up being my biggest baby.  And she broke her collarbone on the way out.  I have always blamed the steroids for that!
mauimom

Offline BensJen

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:06:24 PM »
Can someone help me figure out why my skin is itching so badly? I remember itching at the end of pregnancy on my belly mostly before but this is getting to be all over.

I had this!  Just last year with my first pregnancy!  My doctor thought I just had dry skin, but I knew it had to be something more.  They ran some simple blood tests and found that I had cholestasis.  Here's a link to learn more:
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/cholestasispregnancy.html

The only symptom I ever experienced was the itching.  Nothing else!  I was 37 weeks along and had otherwise had a very healthy pregnancy (and I'd say I'm a pretty healthy person, too).  My doctor, however, said that the only cure and sure way of keeping the baby safe was to induce labor.  :o  I didn't know as much as I do now.  If this condition returns with my next pregnancy (which, I'm hoping with some liver cleansing, I may be able to avoid it?), I now have a naturopathic doctor who is confident she would be able to help me through and ensure a safe, natural deliver.  :)  Either way, though, I would suggest having your doctor or midwife or whoever is helping you through this delivery take a look at the possibility of cholestasis.  It's pretty rare, but it happens!

Let me know what you find out!
Hope you find answers soon!

Offline BensJen

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »
I should add: The site mentions itching specifically on your hands and feet.  This wasn't the case for me.  It was more like what you described.  I remember it the most on my legs.  I would itch especially at night (maybe because I was so still that it was more noticeable?) and my dh would beg me to stop moving the bed!   ::)

Just thought I'd clarify that, since the site doesn't mention belly/legs specifically.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 05:04:22 AM »
Have you tried magnesium?

This may not be your problem at all, but magnesium does wonderful things for you when you are pregnant.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 03:53:46 AM »
I used a product called Natural Calm and followed the directions on the container.  You make a tea out of it.  When I was pregnant, I suffered with restless leg syndrome.  The only thing that I found to help was epson salt baths.  Epson salts either are magnesium or have magnesium in them...I forget which.

Anyway, I went to the HFS one day and mentioned to the lady there that I had RLS.  She told me about Magnesium in the form of the Natural Calm.  After I would drink the tea, my whole body would relax within 15 minutes. 

The RLS would cause me to itch and would drive me bonkers. 

Also:
I forgot to mention cod liver oil.  Duh, I can't believe I forgot that!!!  Are you taking cod liver oil?  It helps what ails you.  If something is wrong, CLO will fix it. ;)

The gel caps have no taste. ;)
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 07:41:30 AM »
I think I may be having the same problem, but I'm not sure.  The last 2 nights my legs started itching at the ankles and I had tiny bumps.  Throughout the night the itchiness moved up both legs to the thighs, the bumps moving with the itches.  I first thought hives but I've dealt with that before in one of my boys and it was always an irregular rash.  This is small, pimple like bumps that are mostly gone during the day, but I do have some itching during the day.  Last night it was so unbearable that I had to get up at 4am to take a bath.  That really helped and I was able to sleep the rest of the night.
I'll do some more research but I was wondering if anyone else had anything to add.  My midwife is thinking pupp and is going to call me later with suggestions, which I will post if they seem useful.
Thanks!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 10:01:31 AM »
I had Pupps with my first baby (a girl).  It started on my stretch marks, and swiftly moved all over my belly, armpits, etc. until I was only able to wear a Mu-mu.  My Midwife graciously induced me.  It wasn't fun!  This was years before I started taking responsibility for my own health, and so I don't have any suggestions from my own experience.

However, since yours came up at night, you might want to look over the threads that talk about the adrenals/cortisol levels.  I remember reading that your cortisol levels go through a daily cycle...maybe it's related ???
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 11:02:21 AM »
I think we've ruled out pupps.  I'm going in today to have some tests done.  I think it's likely related to gall bladder.  Cholestasis maybe. :(  I'm really hoping not.  Praying not.  I've had troubles with my gall bladder before but only one really bad attack and it resolved.  Today I'm feeling horrible, as well as itchy.  Stomach ache, nausea, indigestion.  All I've been able to eat is a pear and a 1/2 a banana.  I have my appt at 4:30 so I guess I'll know more soon.  What I've read about Cholestasis is not encouraging.

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 11:07:22 AM »
I hope you get it resolved soon Mel! Sorry you are feeling yucky  :-*

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 01:50:06 PM »
This may not help, but I had sever itching under my arms ond on my belly later in my 4th pregnancy and it turned out to be yeast. At one point I remember using hydrocortisone cream under my arms ( because I had it in the house and I was desperate and the Dr. was out of town). She and I both survived but she WAS born with thrush and has been fighting yeast ever since! She's 6...we both eat acidopholus.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »
I had lots of lower leg itching and itching over my varicose veins this pregnancy - even early on.  It only happened at night/ laying down.  I would even wake myself up scratching the skin open on my legs.

I am now taking 450 mg magnesium citrate before bed and have no problems anymore.  If I forget, I wake up in the night scratching.  I am not sure if the amount is something significant for just me or if more/less would be better for others.  But the relief was so great that I thought I should post.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 08:22:31 AM »
I had lots of lower leg itching and itching over my varicose veins this pregnancy - even early on.  It only happened at night/ laying down.  I would even wake myself up scratching the skin open on my legs.

I am now taking 450 mg magnesium citrate before bed and have no problems anymore.  If I forget, I wake up in the night scratching.  I am not sure if the amount is something significant for just me or if more/less would be better for others.  But the relief was so great that I thought I should post.

Sarah K

Sarah, I would do the same thing.  Wake up scratching my skin open.  I do have varicose veins for the first time in this pregnancy but they are only on my upper right thigh.   The itching started at the ankles of both lets and migrated up to my hips.  As it moved up, the areas that itched before were left with small bumps but no itching.  Now my legs are totally fine, but I have stretch marks on my hips and they are infalmed and extremely itchy.  I have also been taking high doses of Cal/Mag.  I have found some relief with the  "Earth Mama/Angel Baby Stretch Oil."  The itching has lessened and my skin is looking better.  It is a weird thing, how it traveled up my legs and then into my stretch marks.  I don't know.  As far as my concerns about it being related to gallbladder/liver function.  I still think there is something to it.  I seems itchier when I don't eat well and I have been working on that.  I have also been drinking Dandelion Tea daily and I think it may be helping.  At least it seems to be helping with my liver because I have had no more nausea/indigestion.

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 08:44:08 AM »
What about intense itching just in your hands and feet with no rash? I am 38 weeks with my third and it is driving me nuts! I really don't have any swelling, I've been drinking dandelion/RRL/alfalfa tea throughout my pregnancy, taking superdads, probiotics, minerals, calcium, fish oils etc. Nothing has changed in diet or detergents etc. It's just this sudden intense, burning/itching especially when I get up at night  to go to the bathroom, but it is throughout the day too. The area that itches-which is always either hands or feet-gets hot to the touch and a little red and swollen, lasts about 5 minutes and then it goes away. Some resources said it could be extra estrogen in my system and will go away after I deliver, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything more serious. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »
What about intense itching just in your hands and feet with no rash? I am 38 weeks with my third and it is driving me nuts! I really don't have any swelling, I've been drinking dandelion/RRL/alfalfa tea throughout my pregnancy, taking superdads, probiotics, minerals, calcium, fish oils etc. Nothing has changed in diet or detergents etc. It's just this sudden intense, burning/itching especially when I get up at night  to go to the bathroom, but it is throughout the day too. The area that itches-which is always either hands or feet-gets hot to the touch and a little red and swollen, lasts about 5 minutes and then it goes away. Some resources said it could be extra estrogen in my system and will go away after I deliver, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything more serious.

You can get a 30C homeopathic sulfur and it will kick the itching quickly!  It normally says take 5 pellets.  DO NOT DO THIS!!  It takes only one pellet.  More is just wasting remedy.   I had some itching towards the end of my pregnancy with my girls and it went away as soon as I delivered.
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 11:21:08 AM »
Alright, thank you! I hope I can get this at a healthfood store, or is there a better place to get it?