Author Topic: Herbs to bring up blood platelets during pregnancy?  (Read 10708 times)

Offline Marisa

• Adept
Herbs to bring up blood platelets during pregnancy?
« on: January 22, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
Hello,
I have very low blood platelets, and am 36 weeks. Is there anything I can take that could bring them up and not cause me to detox? I tried to take some powdered green drink, but it made me feel like I was detoxing. Any suggestions? thanks

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Herbs to bring up blood platelets during pregnancy?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 09:36:57 AM »
Barley grass, alfalfa, and spinach are terrific for cleansing and building blood. 
Vegetable juices like carrot, beet, and spinach are also wonderful for building blood.  Think anything red or deep green for this purpose.

What kind of 'green drink' did you try and what were the symptoms that concerned you? 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »
Thanks! I'm going to try all of those! It was Amazing Grass, and it made me very tired and just run down. When I'm not pregnant, drinking it doesn't make me feel run down.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:26:21 PM »
Dandelion root is a great herb for anemia during pregnancy so I imagine it would help with platelets also.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »
Thanks! I'm going to try all of those! It was Amazing Grass, and it made me very tired and just run down. When I'm not pregnant, drinking it doesn't make me feel run down.

Okay.  But that is a brand name and I'm not familiar with it.  What are the ingredients?
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 1 scoop ( 8 grams)
Servings per Container: about 60
Amount Per Serving   %DV
Calories   30   
Calories from Fat   5   0%
Total Fat   1 g   0%
Sugar   0 g   0%
Cholesterol   0 g   0%
Protein   2 g   4%
Total Carbohydrate   4 g   1%
Dietary Fiber   2 g   8%
Vitamin A (100% as Beta carotene)   4945IU   100%
Vitamin C   28 mg   45%
Vitamin K   39 mcg   50%
Riboflavin   0.37 mg   20%
Niacin   0.5 mg   2%
Vitamin B6   60 mcg   4%
Folic Acid   52 mcg   15%
Cobalamin (B12)   1.4 mcg   25%
Calcium   30 mg   4%
Iron   2 mg   10%
Idoine   9 mcg   6%
Selenium   4 mcg   6%
Manganese   240 mcg   10%
Sodium   8 mg   0%
Potassium   131 mg   4%
Chlorophyll   30 mg   **
ALL NATURAL WHOLE FOOD INGREDIENTS:
Amazing Grass Green Food Blend
Organic Wheat Grass, Organic Barley Grass, Organic Alfalfa, Organic Spirulina, Organic Spinach, Organic Chlorella (cracked cell-wall), Organic Broccoli   5722 mg   
Antioxidant Blend
Organic Acai, Organic Maca, Organic Carrot, Organic Beet, Raspberry, Organic Rose Hips, Pineapple, Organic Goji Berries, Green Tea, Acerola Cherry   1121 mg   
EFA Fiber Blend
Organic Flax Seed Powder
Apple Pectin Fiber   670 mg   
Digestive Enzyme and Active Culture Pre /Probiotic Blend
F.O.S. (from Chicory Root)
L. Acidophilus, Alpha and Beta Amylase, Protease, Lipase, Lactase, Cellulase   429 mg   
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet
** Daily Value not established.

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 05:28:01 PM »
Thanks, excellent article!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 10:21:43 AM »

Marisa,

Do you have pregnancy induce ITP or APS?  Our son had chronic ITP two years ago and we used constitutional homeopathy to fix it for good.  I would highly recommend this route as I've not seen ANY herbs/supplements that are able to maintain platelet count like the homeopathy can.  And the fix is permanent.   We tried a lot of natural stuff but nothing worked.  However, you can use vit. C in powdered form multiple times a day to cell integrity to keep your cells from bursting and bleeding.  Our son had NO platelets for 3 months and this is the method we used to prevent a brain bleed.  What is your current platelet count?

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »
My platelets are usually on the lower side, but when pregnant they fall. I'm not sure what ITP or APS is. The Dr. called it thrombopenia. My last two pregnancies they fell to 99, and my last labor, they gave me 2 drugs to induce, because I wasn't dialating fast enough, and it was so unbearable, I caved and got the epidural. My platelet count was 99, and the Dr. said we had to stay an extra day to see if my platelets would go up because, if they didn't they would have to do a blood transfusion, because of the risk of bleeding out my spine. We called a lot of family and friends who prayed. And God is so awesome that they went up just enough to take it out! I wont know how low my platelets are until Feb 9th, that's when they want to test. I'm due on the 24th of Feb. In January they tested in the low 100's. So I'm just hoping to avoid an epidural at all costs, and that they will be high enough for a safe delivery. Did your son see someone for homeopathy treatment? Or did you do it yourself? I'm trying everything, berries, spinach, green drinks, avoiding coffee.

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
I have a praise! My platelets have gone up from 124 to 152! I've been eating berries, spinach, and taking the green drink and vitamen c! They're in the normal range now!! Thank you ladies for all of your suggestions. :)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:37:49 AM »
I have a praise! My platelets have gone up from 124 to 152! I've been eating berries, spinach, and taking the green drink and vitamen c! They're in the normal range now!! Thank you ladies for all of your suggestions. :)
Wonderful!!  Praise God!!
Thanks for keeping us updated, Marisa.  Praying now that your birth goes well. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 04:16:37 PM »
Marisa,

Thrilled that your platelets went up.  Apparently, these docs treating you are CLUELESS.  :P  :o  ITP is idiopathic thrombocytopenia.  Basically, low platelets with no known origin.   APS is antiphospholipid syndrome.  Please have your doctor run the tests for APS.  They can start with a basic antibody test.  There is really no test for ITP as it is a diagnosis of elimination for any other causes of low platelets.  If you test negative for APS, then you can assume you have ITP.   

First off, woman give birth with platelets in the 20's with no complications.  Second, a platelet transfusion is NEVER given for ITP unless someone is actively bleeding out.  Platelet transfusions only work if the reason for low platelets is APS, drug induced, or cancer type treatments.   In ITP, the platelets are being eaten by the spleen and sometimes the liver.  Therefore, if they try to transfuse platelets the body eats them as fast as they are given.  Literally in minutes.  Even in the above cases, platelets are not generally transfused unless someone has less then 10K and/or is actively bleeding.  If they ever try to convince you of otherwise, run.

The fact that you run on the low side means you need to be cautious with making sure your diet is clean, etc.  It is the body that destroys platelets as fast as they are made OR the bone marrow is not making enough.  Neither scenario is optimal.  But while your platelets are still considered fairly safe (lower then 50 is usually when concern hits), I would encourage you to do everything you can to encourage a healthy immune system.  And, in your case, I would encourage you to treat yourself while there are still no concerns for bleeding issues, rather then waiting until if/when something happens and your body kicks into not having enough platelets.  I think where you are at now is a blessing in that you are being given some warning signs that something may not be right in your body.  Take the time to investigate and look at healing options - then do it. 

We used a homeopathic practitioner with our boy and I recommend you do the same.  Thus far, for all the people I've known with platelet issues, it is the only thing that has worked.  Platelets are the hardest blood line to fix. 

Your delivery should be fine with a count of even 99.  It bothers me they are scaring you with that!  Good grief.  As long as your above 50K, count your blessings and have a great birth!  They said our boy could go skydiving at 90K - so I'd say you're still looking pretty good for birth where you're at!   ;D

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Marisa

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 10:04:12 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the info Patti:) Will be trying to figure out the underlying issues:)