Author Topic: Treating Children for Candida/Yeast  (Read 96211 times)

Offline Lovn my boys

• Learning
    • http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/organizedhomeschool
Re: Treating Children for Candida/Yeast
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2009, 06:07:52 PM »
Great info here!  Some questions...

If being enterically coated is important to keep the good guys alive 'til they get to the intestine, how do you get probiotics into a 5yo?  (I've tried the teensy tiny Shaklee 'pearls' and he spits them out no matter how I 'camo' them ???).  Specifically, I'm wondering about TTU.

I've read the differences between the BeeYoutiful yeast package and the Threelac yeast program, but I'm not knowledgeable to really understand the differences (other than the full threelac program is more than double the price of BeeYoutifuls :o).  Does anyone have a recommendation on which is better?  This would be for me and two of my ds (10,5).

Finally, this site was helpful to me in determining the severity of each person's candida overgrowth:
http://www.candidasupport.org/tests.html

Thanks so much for sharing your research and experience!
Happily married to my steady dh for 15 years.
mom to 13yo ds, 11 yo ds, and 8yo ds

We NEED a parental rights ammendment to keep the UN out of our families.  Learn more at www.parentalrights.org

Offline Lovn my boys

• Learning
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2009, 06:35:01 AM »
In case anyone else comes back here....
I called BeeYoutiful and was told that breaking apart the TTU capsule and sprinkling the powder onto pizza, in applesauce, or whatever has proven to be helpful for their little ones.   Apparently the good guys still get into the intestines, just not as many of them, since they can't all make it through the hostile stomach.   FWIW :)

We NEED a parental rights ammendment to keep the UN out of our families.  Learn more at www.parentalrights.org

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2009, 09:34:29 AM »
Great info here!  Some questions...

If being enterically coated is important to keep the good guys alive 'til they get to the intestine, how do you get probiotics into a 5yo?  (I've tried the teensy tiny Shaklee 'pearls' and he spits them out no matter how I 'camo' them ???).  Specifically, I'm wondering about TTU.

I've read the differences between the BeeYoutiful yeast package and the Threelac yeast program, but I'm not knowledgeable to really understand the differences (other than the full threelac program is more than double the price of BeeYoutifuls :o).  Does anyone have a recommendation on which is better?  This would be for me and two of my ds (10,5).

Finally, this site was helpful to me in determining the severity of each person's candida overgrowth:
http://www.candidasupport.org/tests.html

Thanks so much for sharing your research and experience!

We were talking on another thread about when to take probiotics and someone posted this.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,21241.msg232478.html#msg232478

She had found some quotes from different doctors.  The one that struck me the most was the one that said that an empty stomach has a very acidic environment (1.5 to 2.5) and that the probiotics need a ph of 4.0 to survive.  A full stomach has a ph of between 4.0 and 6.0.  So if you are trying to get probiotics into a child without the coating on the pills, it seems the best way to get the most living probiotics into the digestive tract would be to sprinkle them on the last few bites of food at the end of a meal?  The quotes also suggested having them drink skim milk with them - gives the probiotics "food" to grow on, and doing a little 2 or 3 times a day rather than a lot once a day.

HTH

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2009, 04:33:35 AM »
This is late, but I've found my 6 yo has an easier time taking pills if they're put in applesauce.  That seems to make it slide down easier.

I've heard both sides of the story, that you're supposed to take probiotics with food or take it at least 15 minutes before or after eating.   Then there are the probiotics themselves who have the directions.  Some say with, some say without. ??  It's quite confusing.

Offline Lovn my boys

• Learning
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2009, 02:20:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice :).  I've been dutifully giving my 5yo Yeast Assassin & TTU (we've stabilized at 1/2 a capsule 2xday, just after a meal) plus  using Miracle Salve externally on his rashes.  After nearly 2 mos. of minimal results, his rash is finally clearing up. 

When I forget to give him the internal combo for a day or two, but remember Miracle, the rash begins to worsen.  When I forget Miracle for a day or two, but remember YA and TTU (even if it's just 1xday), the rash begins to worsen.  It seems that YA, TTU, and Miracle are all working in concert to clear this up. 

FWIW, my 5yo loves to take the powder mixed in with a dab of honey mustard dressing.  My 8yo tolerates that mix, but we found out today that greek dressing is preferable to him.  (A cankor? sore that will not go away started getting better after just a couple 1/2 doses of YA & TTU, plus some peroxide applied at night). 

Now, if we can just get back to 'regular' year structure and be done with all the summer fun activities that tend to be laden with sweets :P, I think we'll be in good shape. 

Thanks again for all your help.   :D

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »
I thought that YA was only for teens and adults??  Maybe I'm wrong.  My 15 yo, DH and I are taking Now brand Candida Clear with a probiotic every day (also several other things, including cranberry).  I'm not giving them to the kids, although, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I could give them the probiotics in the applesauce (6 yo and 10 yo - who just learned to swallow small pills).  We're all on the diet, more or less, though.  The 10 yo is totally addicted to sugar!  Before this diet, he would beg for candy every time we went out, or soda, or slushie!  ::)  Now, he knows better.  The 6 yo was developing warts on his hand and toes.  Someone recommended giving him Now brand Allibiotic.  That's how we got him to take pills.  We put it in the applesauce, and he reminds us every day.  After just a week, they started lessening and they're down significantly now.  It's nice to actually visually see the results.  With the candida, it's kind of hard to see results, because I never had anything severe, except the severe lethargy.  That has gotten better, thank God!  Once we went off of things, ie, sugar, milk (still do cheese), grains, when my DD would accidentally have some, she would get sick.  Anyways, I think the diet will be a semi-permanent thing.  Although I might look for gluten free pasta, to be able to have spaghetti again!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2009, 06:30:04 AM »
brown rice pasta is good but kinda pricey, about $3.50 a pound at our local grocery store.  they make rotini too.  it's Tinkanyada brand, i think!  also, in season spaghetti squash is candida diet friendly.   HTH
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2009, 05:56:01 AM »
I found rice noodles at Wal-Mart the other day.  They weren't brown rice though.  Also, I get plain rice noodles for very cheap at a Korean store near here...

just some other ideas

J
Mrs. P

Offline wearefive

• Learning
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2011, 04:56:24 PM »
The ones of you who have had children with yeast problems ever had a child who has bad eczema all over their body, but their diaper area be perfectly clear?  My son just turned two and within the last 6 months started have eczema problems.  We had a blood test done to test for the major food and enviromental allergies and to have his liver and kidneys tested.  They all came back negative for allergies and that his levels for his liver and kidneys were normal.  It makes me wonder if the testing was accurate??  Not trying to doubt the Dr. but just makes me wonder.  So a friend of mine was saying yeast or digestive problems.  He has only have one does of antibiotics in his two years and that was when he was 4months old and then the eczema did not start till 18 months old.  I did give him probiotics after his antibiotics.  I have him taking a probiotic now and another product called Sunrider.  Just thought I'd ask all of you who have dealt with yeast in children.  Thanks :)

Offline wearefive

• Learning
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2011, 04:32:28 PM »
Bump Just thought some of you might have some good input on my last question!!! :)

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2011, 03:40:46 AM »
Yep.  My boy was covered in eczema but not in the diaper area.  His ended up being major food allergies.  While candida is certainly a component of food allergies, you can't fix the allergies by simply doing a candida diet.  We had 7 allergy tests done over 8yrs and every single one of them was wrong.  We finally had the ELISA 96 food panel done by US BioTek and wowza.  We quickly found out what our boy was allergic to.  As soon as we removed the foods, his eczema cleared up.  So I would say the allergy the test run by your doctor was not a good one.  But it's not just him.  We've never had an AMA approved allergy test come out good.  You can look up US BioTek and take a requisition from the website to your doctor and tell them what you want done.  They can mail the test to US BioTek and you can go from there.  You MUST provide a credit card number on the req. before your doctor sends it in or US BioTek will hold the blood and not test until it's paid for in advance.  But you'll get answers with that test.
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »
Ok, so I'm pretty sure we're dealing with yeast problems right now. I've always battled yeast infections-even as an infant and now my 4 yr old daughter seems to be having the same issues. My 2yr old son has always had skin issues and recently they've both broken out in a blistery rash that's mostly on their hands, feet, and bottoms-is that yeast? My son is very fussy and not sleeping well. My husband smells yeasty and feels sluggish and since being on many antibiotics for several months a few years ago for strep throat that wouldn't go away (I didn't know anything back then  :'() I think his system is completely compromised now. All of our immune systems are weak and we seem to catch everything even with all the vitamins we're taking.
 So all that to say, we are not able to do the diet right now or probably anytime soon, plus my husband isn't really willing right now, and I am 6 months pregnant. So, what can I do right now to help relieve some of the issues my kids are having? I have cut out sugar, I give my kids probiotics and cod liver oil.
 Carbs are our biggest weakness-my husband and kids are total carb freaks, which is part of candida issues, right? I don't want this to get out of control, but I need to wait for our lives to settle down (selling our business and house, moving, having a baby etc) before I can bring this to my husband's attention. Sorry if this has already been discussed. Thank you for all your wisdom and advice!