Author Topic: mucus and blood in stool in a 9 mo old  (Read 2935 times)

Offline railroaderswife

• Adept
mucus and blood in stool in a 9 mo old
« on: October 12, 2006, 05:54:34 AM »
What can be done for this? Dr. said to withhold food 24 to 48 hrs. Don't know what it is yet. Could be parasite or bacteria. Any suggestions?
Wife to Glenn and Mama to 4 (so far) rambunctious (just sometimes) kids.

Offline railroaderswife

• Adept
Re: mucus and blood in stool in a 9 mo old
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 06:12:15 AM »
My friends baby is screaming from hunger. He wants to go to sleep but is hungry. What about a garlic enema?

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 06:26:14 AM »
If you must withhold food, I would ask about liquids and let him/her have all that is permissable.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 06:33:24 AM »
Good night... this is crazy. Go to a healthfood store and buy a probiotic... any probiotic! Then add a capsule to milk... breast milk if you can get it... from a friend if not from yourself, otherwise powdered milk is probably best. Feed him on that for a while.

Withhold food? I am awe struck. Maybe you should ask about surgery... just kidding, really, just kidding.

Also, it will help you get a better answer to give more information about this kid. How long did he nurse, was he on formula, if and when he was vaccinated, has he been on anti-biotics, other medications, other hospital interventions, etc.

--gabe

Offline railroaderswife

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 06:41:54 AM »
He nursed for about 6 mo. He is currently on formula. Never had any vaccines, no anti-biotic. Hospital ER did some tests yesterday - don't have results yet. He is only allowed pedialite to drink - per ER Dr. They went to Miss last week and he drank some of the water there. Mom is wondering if it was maybe that.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 06:57:17 AM »
from my experience...pedialite is gross, and doesn't help much.  I would try some mint tea and consume soup.  I used that when my 11 month old had diarhea and vomitting for a week and didn't want food.  It was the only thing he could keep down.  He did loose a couple of pounds, but didn't get dehydrated.  I think I may have slipped in garlic tea, too.  It's been a few years, so I don't completely remember what I did.  However, the stress of that week is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

I hope the little guy gets better soon.

Sharon
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 10:58:15 AM »
Yes, Sharon's recommendations are very good. Pedialite is sugar and salt and is intended to keep a sick person hydrated. In the old days people used to use chicken broth for this purpose. I highly recommend chicken broth by the way.

Since the kid is in the hospital there is not much that can be done, but you are correct in assuming that it is probably a bug caught while traveling. If the bug is a parasite or amoeba, the treatment could be rather hard on the system.

Do use a probiotic, and find a good elderberry syrup to help strengthen the immune system while taking the medication.

--gabe

Offline HeatherRose

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 11:22:50 AM »
Here is a link to information about home made baby formulas that may help. 

http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u/WestonAPriceFoundation?q=baby+formula&sa=Go

Offline railroaderswife

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 12:01:56 PM »
I may have mislead - the baby just went to the ER and they sent him home. He is not in the hospital.