Author Topic: Making Cream/Salve  (Read 68918 times)

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
Re: Making Cream/Salve
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2007, 05:07:36 PM »
Many times it is subjective as to how much of any one herb to use.  I have seen some published recipes that give ratios of herbs to use when mulitple ingredients are needed. 
The rule I try to use is to make sure you use enough oil to cover the herb/s and add more if needed during the process.  The oil may soak into the herbs depending on what herb and in what form it is. 
When I make a recipe, I look at what I want the salve to do and add  I  the main herbs in equal parts .  I then add the minor herbs to kind of round out the formula.  Sometimes it just depends upon what I have on hand that day.

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2007, 06:57:10 PM »
Ok, I've just spent the last couple hours researching all this stuff, looking up herbs and such. I'm planning on making an all purpose salve for things like cuts, bug bites, rashes, etc. that would be good for the whole family. I think I know how I'm going to do it, but I would like to run it by all you wise ladies.  :) I want it to be completely safe for anyone, including babies, pregnant mothers, nursing mothers, etc. And I don't want to worry if one of my kids tries eating it.  ;D I'm picking up some of the herbs tomorrow that I don't have on hand, then plan on making it tomorrow night. I'll use olive oil as my base to warm my herbs in. The main herbs I think I will use are: comfrey, plantain, calendula, and chickweed. And in smaller amounts, I will throw in: St. John's wort, echinacea, rosemary (still haven't figured out why for this, but it's in Eden salve, so must be useful  ???), marshmallow root, yarrow (not sure my health food store has this one though), and burdock root. And I have a honey comb that I plan on draining some of the honey out to use for other things, but there will still be some honey on it. I will melt that in the oil, and add some aloe. So I will have some raw honey and probably some propolis in with the wax.  ??? And I'm also trying to decide between eucalyptus oil or tee trea oil, not sure which would be better?  They both seem to have the same properties, so maybe just smell preference? Oh, and also grapefruit seed extract at the end, if I have enough. (I probably only have a few drops left in the bottle, and don't want to wait to order more)
Ok, I kinda get the feeling I'm going overboard with all the herbs. But I've looked at so many different recipes, and don't want to miss out on any of the benefits of each one.  :-\ Does it look ok, is there anything that could be harmful? Putting it on babies and young children, it's bound to get in mouths, anything in there that could be harmful to children?
Thanks for listening to my rambling.  ;D I just really want this to turn out right.
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2007, 09:10:21 PM »
Rosemary is a antioxidant & helps keep the oils fresh. It is also a mild antibacterial & antifungal. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2007, 02:42:17 PM »
Ok, one question. When you put the jar of oil in the crockpot water bath, do you put the lid on the jar? Would this cause it to break? Thanks  :)

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2007, 05:52:58 PM »
smiley- if the herbs are fresh, then you should NOT put the lid on as they contain a lot of water that needs to escape as they are warmed in the oil. If the herbs were dried, you can put the lid on, and it shouldn't break (unless it's one of those odd occasions where it just happens for no apparent reason).
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

YoopreMama

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2007, 02:11:37 AM »
smiley- if the herbs are fresh, then you should NOT put the lid on as they contain a lot of water that needs to escape as they are warmed in the oil. If the herbs were dried, you can put the lid on, and it shouldn't break (unless it's one of those odd occasions where it just happens for no apparent reason).
OOPS!  Thanks for letting us know, Dara.  I didn't do that and my salve was a bit runny.  I attributed it to a need for more beeswax, but I bet it's b/c I lidded the brew. 

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2007, 11:52:40 AM »
Ok, sorry for all the questions... But, how hot is the water bath supposed to get? I've got my crockpot turned on low, but I took the lid off because it was causing so much moisture to build up, and the jars don't have the lids on. The herbs I used were all dried, although the plantain wasn't completely dried. I let it sit out for a couple days, so it was pretty dry. So maybe I could cover my jars and then put the lid on the crockpot?  ???  The water is hot, but I can still dip my finger in and not get burned. Does it need to be hotter? I used a whole bottle of olive oil for this, so I really don't want to mess up... ;D  Thanks.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »
The last time I infused an oil I did actually check the temp to see how hot it was.  I don't use the crock pot method, but I rig a double boiler and have the water in the bottom simmering very lightly.  The oil to be infused stayed around 130 degrees.  I let this infuse for 3-4 hours usually, and it may be different at other times as I have never bothered to monitor temp before.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2007, 04:55:52 PM »
I have been enjoying the podcast salve episode and learning from it. I have some questions.

We are on a very limited budget for the rest of the year so I am not able to go out and buy beeswax and olive oil what else could I use or do?.

Can I not add a thickener? Wouldn't that just make it be like a lineament but still as useful in a liquidy way?

How long do these homemade salves last? Or what is their shelf life?

Do homemade salves need refrigerated?

I have been saving glass food jars for just this type of stuff. I'm excited about making some salve.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2007, 07:07:48 PM »
As far as the beeswax, my local HFS carries 1 ounce blocks of beeswax for under $2, maybe your local HFS does as well.

You can do an infused oil (which is what you would have if you don't thicken it) & it will help but it is very easy to spill & much harder to control exactly where you apply it. It also will not hold in moisture as well as a salve. Holding in moisture can be soothing & helps keeps scabs from becoming really dry & hard like they get sometimes. 

Olive oil is used because it doesn't go rancid easily & it is thicker than many oils which makes it more soothing. Another reason is that olive oil on it's own is slightly antibacterial & antifungal. Other oils will go rancid easier & if you do thicken them, may require more beeswax. Maybe you can get a small bottle to lower the cost if you do decide to use olive oil- just big enough to make your salve- that would lower the amount you have to spend right now. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2007, 05:04:14 AM »
OK, sorry for all the questions... But, how hot is the water bath supposed to get? I've got my crockpot turned on low, but I took the lid off because it was causing so much moisture to build up, and the jars don't have the lids on. The herbs I used were all dried, although the plantain wasn't completely dried. I let it sit out for a couple days, so it was pretty dry. So maybe I could cover my jars and then put the lid on the crockpot?    The water is hot, but I can still dip my finger in and not get burned. Does it need to be hotter? I used a whole bottle of olive oil for this, so I really don't want to mess up...   Thanks.

You don't want it to get too hot because it will kill the vitamins and good properties in the infused oil. I set my crockpot only on WARM, not even low, because even low is too hot. If your herbs are dried, you shouldn't be getting any condensation- if you are, it's too hot- make sure the lids are removed in the case of moisture inside- water will grow germs. HTH!
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline Aura

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2007, 08:51:41 AM »
I need some help here...I want to make some diaper cream for my dd. She's had a couple of awful diapers and now we have a bad rash.  :-[  I have coconut oil, and that does help, but I was wanting something with a bit more healing properties to it. I'm thinking if it works, I should be able to use it for other skin irritations/scrapes/etc.

I would like to make this today, so anything that takes several days is not going to work. I have read this thread, and I'm sorry but I still have questions...

If take a mixture of herbs and steep it in the coconut oil, how long should I steep it and how hot should it be? I remember Mrs. B said not over 130 degrees for 3-4 hours. Is that true for any herb/oil mixture?

I was thinking of using equal parts of comfrey, chamomile, and plantain because that's what I have on hand that sound like they would work. But how much herbs do I add to the oil? I only have about 2 tbsp left of the comfrey. Also, the containers I use only hold about 4 fl oz. So, if I only want 4 oz of this stuff, how much of the herbs should I use?

I was also thinking of adding some pure lanolin and raw honey...does anyone have any suggestions about how much of that to add?

I figure that by the time this gets done, my dh will be off work and can swing by the HFS and get some GSE to add with it. Then, I should be able to just keep this on the changing table (or diaper bag) and not have to worry about refrigeration, right?

Sorry about so many questions.  :-[

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2007, 10:54:08 AM »
We've just moved to 12 acres in the country and I think that 11 are covered with poison ivy.  We have been battling it on everyone.  I've tried smearing jewelweed (also in abudance here), but there isn't much "juice" in it.  I also tried putting it in the blender and then "painting" it on my kids as one web site suggested, but that is a royal pain and they can't stand it. (it doesn't seem to be working either).  I'd really like to make some sort of cream or salve with the jewelweed and maybe plantain.  I've also tried Eden Salve on it and while it releaves some of the itching, it doesn't help it to dry up and go away.  Any ideas on making a cream/salve??
thanks,
Lisa

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2007, 12:06:42 PM »
I put jewelweed and plantain in a food processor with just enough water to help it blend. After it was all smoothly blended, I strained the herbs through a cotton cloth, leaving a thick, dark green liquid. I added aloe gel to help the herbs soak in and soothe the red and aggravated skin. His wife rubbed it all over the exposed area. I sent a small jar home with them to apply until the itch was gone. By the next day there were no blisters or redness, just a little itch between his toes. The second day it was all gone. He is now a true believer in herbs. I don’t know about you, but to me, that’s a WOW.

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/index.php?id=86&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=295

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2007, 01:27:22 PM »
I put jewelweed and plantain in a food processor with just enough water to help it blend. After it was all smoothly blended, I strained the herbs through a cotton cloth, leaving a thick, dark green liquid. I added aloe gel to help the herbs soak in and soothe the red and aggravated skin. His wife rubbed it all over the exposed area. I sent a small jar home with them to apply until the itch was gone. By the next day there were no blisters or redness, just a little itch between his toes. The second day it was all gone. He is now a true believer in herbs. I don’t know about you, but to me, that’s a WOW.

Thanks, I remember that article now.  I did the blender thing, but maybe adding the aloe vera gel will work better in the application.  Painting them with the watery solution then blow drying it just wasn't cutting it!!  I'll give that a try tomorrow. 

Any other ideas??

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/index.php?id=86&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=295

YoopreMama

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2007, 02:21:54 PM »
I'd really like to make some sort of cream or salve with the jewelweed and maybe plantain...Lisa

I make ice cubes:
http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

Ways to Use Jewelweed
    When you are out in the field and find you have been exposed to poison ivy, oak, or stinging nettle you can reach for the jewelweed plant and slice the stem, then rub its juicy inside on exposed parts. This will promptly ease irritation and usually prevents breakout for most people.

Jewelweed or an infusion made from boiling leaves of Impatiens capensis may be frozen for later use. Brew chopped jewelweed in boiling water until you get a dark orange liquid. Yellow Jewelweed will not yield orange color and may not be effective. Strain the liquid and pour into ice cube trays. When you have a skin rash, rub it with a jewelweed cube and you will be amazed with its healing properties. It will keep in freezer up to a year. You can also preserve the infusion by canning it in a pressure cooker.

Jewelweed does not dry well due to its high moisture and oil content. Do not make alcoholic tinctures from Jewelweed because some people have had a bad reaction using jewelweed with alcohol.
So sorry your new land is full of poison ivy.  :(

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2007, 02:43:28 PM »
I'd really like to make some sort of cream or salve with the jewelweed and maybe plantain...Lisa

I make ice cubes:
http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm

Ways to Use Jewelweed
    When you are out in the field and find you have been exposed to poison ivy, oak, or stinging nettle you can reach for the jewelweed plant and slice the stem, then rub its juicy inside on exposed parts. This will promptly ease irritation and usually prevents breakout for most people.

Jewelweed or an infusion made from boiling leaves of Impatiens capensis may be frozen for later use. Brew chopped jewelweed in boiling water until you get a dark orange liquid. Yellow Jewelweed will not yield orange color and may not be effective. Strain the liquid and pour into ice cube trays. When you have a skin rash, rub it with a jewelweed cube and you will be amazed with its healing properties. It will keep in freezer up to a year. You can also preserve the infusion by canning it in a pressure cooker.

Jewelweed does not dry well due to its high moisture and oil content. Do not make alcoholic tinctures from Jewelweed because some people have had a bad reaction using jewelweed with alcohol.
So sorry your new land is full of poison ivy.  :(

Thanks!  I will give both of these a try!  I guess it is something I must learn to deal with as I don't think we will be getting rid of it any time soon.  about 6 acres of our "dream place" is wooded and with that comes poison ivy!  Thankfully it is not in the yard.  I have now instructed all the kids to wear appropriate clothing and then come in to change and shower.  Getting hubby to do that is something else, so having some remedies on hand is going to be essesial!!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2007, 02:54:12 PM »
queentea, do you have the Practical Herbalism book by Fritchey?

He tells how to make oil infusions of herbs with olive oil.  You can do it in the crock pot- just be careful that it isn't too hot - I think he outlines the temps in the book.

I have made many salves using jewelweed.  Just make the olive oil infusion as he outlines in the book, then you can process batches of salve with the jewelweed oil and add something that is solid at room temperature, like coconut oil or beeswax.  You'll have to experiment to see the hardness, etc. that you like.  Melt them together at low temps and pour into containers.

I always add some GSE or other preservative (Fritchey outlines several) and my salves always last a couple years at least.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:24:54 PM by Gigi »

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2007, 11:24:26 AM »
I hope I'm not repeating a previous question. :-[

I'm "cooking" my first salves right now and was wondering about aloe vera. I know it's good to blend in for a cream, but I was wondering if you can use the plant itself or if you should use just the bought gel form. Anyone have any experience with it? Would/could you slice long ways, scrape out the gel and discard the skin? Thanks!
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2007, 02:28:22 PM »

I'm "cooking" my first salves right now and was wondering about aloe vera. I know it's good to blend in for a cream, but I was wondering if you can use the plant itself or if you should use just the bought gel form. Anyone have any experience with it? Would/could you slice long ways, scrape out the gel and discard the skin? Thanks!
I have used it fresh only, but gel should also be good.  I did slice it long ways and scraped the gel from the inside and just used that part.  I have just started making soap, and one of the recipes that I found used aloe vera.  They prepared it by taking the whole leaf/stalk-thing and putting it in a food processor until the whole thing was mush and as liquid as possible.  I might try this next time and see how it works, too.

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »

I have used it fresh only, but gel should also be good.  I did slice it long ways and scraped the gel from the inside and just used that part.  I have just started making soap, and one of the recipes that I found used aloe vera.  They prepared it by taking the whole leaf/stalk-thing and putting it in a food processor until the whole thing was mush and as liquid as possible.  I might try this next time and see how it works, too.

Thanks so much! Good info. It's so nice to have such a great plant so easy to grow right in my kitchen. :)

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2007, 10:41:50 AM »
Yah! I made my first salve & cream today. I followed Shoshanna's directions from the podcast, but I'm not sure of something. She said to use 2-5T of beeswax per cup of EVOO and that using Coconut Oil means you don't need to use beeswax. What if you use both EVOO and CocoOil? I used less beeswax since I did both, but it doesn't seem to be thickening enough. So, should I still use the 2-5T per cup of EVOO as she suggested? Any input?

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2007, 11:01:22 AM »
Is your home hot/warm?
That would make the coconut oil not thicken.

In case anyone was wondering what podcast she was talking about. It's under 'salves':
http://backtobasicspodcast.com/Welcome/Podcast/Podcast.html

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »
Is your home hot/warm?

It's actually cool, in the mid 60's. The CocoOil in the cupboard is thickened ::).  I added more wax to the salve, so I'm hoping that helps. The only thing is that I blended half of it (separate, of course) with fresh aloe vera gel. I'm hoping that heating it up again to melt more wax in it didn't have a bad effect on it. I'd better go check it now. That was a couple hours ago.

In any route, this is the first time and I'm just trying to tweak it right for the next time. So would you do the 2-5 T beeswax per 1 C EVOO regardless of whether or not you also use CocoOil?

Thanks K!
havasmama

Offline Mommyof4

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2007, 01:27:33 PM »
I hope I'm not asking a repeat question, but I'm needing a recipe for a drawing salve, anyone have one they like? TIA
Lindsey
Blessed Mom:)
My village people:
Tate 10
Morgan 9
Charlotte 7.5
Silas 4.5

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2007, 02:25:06 PM »
Is your home hot/warm?

It's actually cool, in the mid 60's. The CocoOil in the cupboard is thickened ::).  I added more wax to the salve, so I'm hoping that helps. The only thing is that I blended half of it (separate, of course) with fresh aloe vera gel. I'm hoping that heating it up again to melt more wax in it didn't have a bad effect on it. I'd better go check it now. That was a couple hours ago.

In any route, this is the first time and I'm just trying to tweak it right for the next time. So would you do the 2-5 T beeswax per 1 C EVOO regardless of whether or not you also use CocoOil?

Thanks K!
havasmama
I always add the beeswax to all kinds of oils just because I am looking for a certain consistency.  You may have some hardening with the coconut oil, but IMO I like it a bit firmer.  Your ratio of beeswax to olive oil sounds good.. I would start low and add 2-3 Tbsp first.... you can then dip a metal spoon in it and put it in the freezer for a few moments... this should be the consistency that you will end up with... if it is not as firm as you would like, add more beeswax and repeat the spoon test.
Good luck.

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2007, 06:04:18 PM »
I always add the beeswax to all kinds of oils just because I am looking for a certain consistency.  You may have some hardening with the coconut oil, but IMO I like it a bit firmer.  Your ratio of beeswax to olive oil sounds good.. I would start low and add 2-3 Tbsp first.... you can then dip a metal spoon in it and put it in the freezer for a few moments... this should be the consistency that you will end up with... if it is not as firm as you would like, add more beeswax and repeat the spoon test.
Good luck.

Thanks! I'll have to try that spoon test. Yeah, I also like a bit firmer consistency too. That way it's not running all over my skin after putting it on.

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2007, 01:15:04 PM »
Anyone made a salve for respiratory congestion?  I saw a recipe with essential oil of eucalyptus, camphor and wintergreen.  Pine, sage, peppermint and rosemary were also suggested.   What would you guys do?  I read that camphor is not safe during pregnancy...do you think even in this mix to avoid it?  Are these safe for kids/toddlers?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 07:29:07 AM by healthybratt »

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2007, 01:15:48 PM »
I meant salve, not save!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2007, 01:31:29 PM »
I've made a rub with coconut oil and eucalyptus oil.  It doesn't take much Eucalyptus, though, so be careful because I think it could burn pretty bad.  (Sorry I can't remember what proportions I used.)

I got my eucalyptus oil from beeyoutiful and it's great for clearing out noses.  A couple drops in the tub, a few drops on a rag by the pillow, etc.  It's potent!

I don't have any experience with the other oils you mentioned.  And I have no idea about the camphor.

Just make up a small batch with everything but the camphor and see what you think!

I'm sure others will have some more better ideas, too!

HTH