Author Topic: Making Cream/Salve  (Read 65154 times)

YoopreMama

Re: Making Cream/Salve
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 02:31:09 AM »
I'm so glad it's helping your skin!  I keep sneaking some out of my jar (I'll pull it tonight) and it's really helping w/ pain, redness, and itching. 

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 03:09:56 AM »

After I started making this batch, I looked in a "Home Herbal" book I obtained recently. It mentioned that a "cold infusion" jar could be placed in a sunny window or a greenhouse for a couple of weeks. The part about the greenhouse got me to thinking. What about putting such a jar inside a car and take advantage of that heat? I would just have to drive a little smoother so it would stay on the dash.  ;) I wonder if it would get too hot? How do you know when the oil is infused and the herbs are "used up?" How did Shoshanna arrive at three days in a hot/warm water bath? I have since seen/heard other sources say three hours is sufficient.

I hope this is helpful to others. I sure am having fun!  :D

I'm glad your salve-making adventures are going so well!!!
The time variations, I would guess, are related to the amount of heat.  You basically want the herbs to be dark and crispy, however long it takes, so that you extract all of their herbal goodness.
I usually rig up a double boiler-type setup.  I take a glass pyrex bowl and put it over a  simmering pan of water.  I usually give it about 3-4 hours and its done.  I then strain out the herbs add them back to the bowl and melt the beeswax and add any other goodies.
If you do want to do a cold-infusion grapeseed oil is recommended over olive oil due to its antioxidant components.  The car idea seems good, but you might want to be careful if it is really hot where you live.  The idea is almost like that of tincuring with oil....give it a few weeks for the properties of the herb to transfer into the oil.
I'm so glad this worked for you...
kimi

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 03:14:02 AM »
1. It mentioned that a "cold infusion" jar could be placed in a sunny window or a greenhouse for a couple of weeks. The part about the greenhouse got me to thinking. What about putting such a jar inside a car and take advantage of that heat? I would just have to drive a little smoother so it would stay on the dash.  ;) I wonder if it would get too hot? How do you know when the oil is infused and the herbs are "used up?"

2. How did Shoshanna arrive at three days in a hot/warm water bath? I have since seen/heard other sources say three hours is sufficient.

1. I don't know much about infusions....but Shoshanna has said that sun destroys the medicinal properties of herbs very quickly. Heat=good for salves. sun=bad for herbal properties.

2. She said she likes 3 days to make sure all the properties are out of the herb. I imagine a 3-4 hr heating process would be good....but  not as effective as a 3 day low heat.

HTH  :)

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 05:00:05 AM »
I am about to make a new batch (and new recipe) of salve - has anyone ever tried adding cinnamon powder (or sticks) to their salve?  I know that it is good for a lot of things, but how will it effect the color and smell...in other words would my DH be willing to put in on  :D?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 06:20:17 AM »
I haven't tried adding cinnamon yet, but I do have some cinnamon eo on the way.
If I were, I would probably use sticks not the powder....I think it would be too messy and potentially make it grainy(?).  Let us know how it turns out...I love the cinnamon smell and it is SO good for you. 

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
  • Joseph's Coat rose bush:a gift from my parents
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 06:30:16 AM »
yeah, I'm going to have to do something different next time to alter the smell. I got into bed last night and DH asked, "Did you put salve on?" me: "yes!" DH: "It smells salve-y. Can you do something about that?" me: "Maybe." Cinnamon sticks sound like a good idea.

Hmm, putting the brewing jar in a cordboard box would be a good way to protect the jar and the herbs in the car. It's not too hot here in the Willamette Valley, Oregon, but inside the car can get pretty warm even with could cover. It would be a fun experiment.

Dark and crispy herbs. Maybe I'll let it go four days in my crockpot double boiler set up next time.
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 06:38:46 AM »
For salves (or anything) you don't want the herbs to burn. It loses properties that way also (if it gets too hot).

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 07:22:41 AM »
For salves (or anything) you don't want the herbs to burn. It loses properties that way also (if it gets too hot).

Ahhh, to bad, I was kinda getting excited about trying cinnamon  :(.

Thanks for letting us know KristenA - it does make sense!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 07:26:01 AM by GraceFaith76 »

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 07:27:42 AM »

Dark and crispy may not have been the best term for what the herbs look like after infusion.  You definitely do not want to burn the herbs as KristinA says.  They have a dried out quality and be dark...I have always thought that they looked crispy to an extent, but are probably more just dried out.  When I set up my double boiler I usually bring the underlying water to a simmer uncovered first, then place the pyrex bowl over top (not touching the water) and then turn the heat down (I have gas) as low as possible.  I have never checked the temp of the oil, but maybe next time I will.  The water below generally stays at a light simmer.  I do this for 3-4 hours usually and have always had good results.  The herbs are NOT charred or gross, they actually appear very much as they do after making a tincture....just used up.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 07:29:54 AM »

Ahhh, to bad, I was kinda getting excited about trying cinnamon  :(.

You could still try breaking a cinnamon stick and steeping it... You could also try it in a cold infusion, too.  Also cinnamon eo?

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2007, 08:24:18 AM »
Hi Yooper Mama/Kitty!...  I made a similar one to the one you described. I didn't think of adding yarrow, but I added chickweed, rosewater (supposed to soften skin), rosemary, thyme, Vitamin E (preservatives) and I think a few other things that I had around. I just cooked it in the crockpot till the plantain was crispy, I'd guess you could go longer and it would be fine or better. I think I added the coconut oil and aloe after it cooled a little so I wouldn't destroy any properties. One other thing I added after it cooled - raw honey!

I made a second batch of salve for diaper ointment which was just a tin of Bag Balm (lanolin) melted down with plantain and comfrey added and then poured back in the tin. But on that one, I also added chamomile, which I will add to all my salves from now on, because it really gives it a nice smell! That plantain doesn't smell all that pleasant and I couldn't get enough lavender or any of the other stuff in it to make it smell nice in the other batch. I think chamomile has some soothing and anti-itch properties, too.

On the smell issue, like I said, I kept adding lavender oil and eucalyptus oil and rosewater to make it smell nice, but the smell never came through. Maybe peppermint or cinnamon oil would work, but I didn't have those.

I've been using it for about 3 months and it's been great! It's the best on bug bites - they just disappear! I brought a small jar while on vacation visiting family and it was great for all manner of owies. The kids ask for it and I believe it really does relieve pain. I haven't noticed any quicker healing but I did notice one sore on my daughter heal over the top before it healed inside. My husband has been putting it on ingrown hairs and he notices that it draws them out and he's normally a skeptic. I used it as a facial moisturizer on vacation and I believed it also had some sunblock properties. We were traveling for a month so it was easier than bringing coconut oil for moisturizer/sunblock. And the best was that my red-haired son got a bad sunburn on his back (that wasn't good) and I didn't have any aloe so I just smeared that on whenever I could. I believe it helped him heal because he only peeled the tiniest bit and he didn't get freckles afterward. Oh yeah, and he got two yellow-jacket stings and it made them stop hurting completely. It was just so nice to have on vacation - I always had this all-purpose herbal solution when I was traveling to people's homes and who didn't even have kids and didn't even have plantain in their nicely manicured yards!

Can you believe I'm posting for the first time in 2 months?! I broke my addiction being on vacation. So I'm a little rusty and rambly. Now that I've posted once I'm afraid I'm going to fall off the wagon, though...
WELCOME BACK!  :-* I missed you!  :)

Thanks for sharing your salve experience.  Did you put it in a JAR in the crockpot, or just in the crockpot?  The honey and rosewater were neat ideas!  Why thyme?  Chickweed is good for itch--can't believe I forgot that one.   ::)  Chamomile IS soothing, yes...I use an EO of it on my skin sometimes...nicer smell than plantain, too.   :P  Peppermint and cinnamon oil...hmmm...never thought of those for scent and I have them! 

I sure appreciated hearing all of the ways that it worked for you.  How's the final consistency then?  It must not have been refrigerated while traveling then much--the Vitamin E helped preserve it?

Thanks for sharing!  Good luck catching up on things...especially if you read the Chat thread.  We were a bit umm,...industrious? while you were gone... ;)  (identity swapping/stealing, posting of close-ups/weddings, etc...).  Poor HB!   :D

I didn't put it in a jar, just in my little mini-crockpot that I got for a wedding gift and have only used about once a year till now. Why is a jar necessary? I didn't listen to the podcast yet, though, mostly got my info from books and such. The rosemary, thyme, and Vitamin E were all for preservatives. I read to use those in Practical Herbalism I think. I'll go back and re-punctuate that sentence so it makes sense! The thyme gave it kind of a sausage smell, though  ::) :P. I guess it worked because I haven't had it refrigerated and I haven't had any problems. The consistency is kind of like jelly, that's in our 80-some degree house. Softer than I think it's supposed to be, but it's so hot it's hard to tell.

I remembered another thing - my 3 yo got some unknown bites (spider?!) after stepping on some rotten wood. I first tried chewed-up plantain and didn't see much difference but with the salve they were completely gone. Oh, and a bad rug burn she had the other day on her belly has healed significantly healed and "doesn't hurt anymore." FUN! I love experimenting with herbs.

Yes, I noticed the gargantuan chat thread. I don't dare try to catch up and see what you were all doing. I wish I saw some of the photos, though. I was like "Who's this Yooper Kitty character who acts so familiar with everything, she doesn't sound new." Then I clicked on her and saw you had 1500 posts!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:26:54 AM by JuliaofSunnyside »

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007, 08:42:32 AM »
The mini-crockpot idea sounds good...I had one of those once upon a time, but I think it was abandoned during a move :(
The main thing is that you just don't want the oil to boil...if your crock keeps things at a nice even temp that's not to hot, not to cold then it sound great.
This should be fun... it's about whatever works for you and your family.  If you have to throw something out and start over sometimes--as long as you learned something from the experience then it was worth it!!!
I see the whole salve/soap/tinturing thing as playtime that will have some usefulness to my family so it is not in vain. 
As long as you don't burn down the house or anything, just have fun with it. 

YoopreMama

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2007, 09:38:38 AM »
Yes, I noticed the gargantuan chat thread. I don't dare try to catch up and see what you were all doing. I wish I saw some of the photos, though. I was like "Who's this Yooper Kitty character who acts so familiar with everything, she doesn't sound new." Then I clicked on her and saw you had 1500 posts!
LOL.  :D  Guilty, as charged.   :-[  ::)  A few of us were contemplating privacy and name changes/photo changes occurred.  At least I didn't go too far from my original name, like SOME people did.   ;)  :D

I may try my Cassia EO in the salve...I hate smelly "planty", too.   >:(

I've had thyme in teas for headaches and didn't like the "sausage" smell either.   :P

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2007, 11:48:43 AM »

Ahhh, to bad, I was kinda getting excited about trying cinnamon :(.

You could still try breaking a cinnamon stick and steeping it... You could also try it in a cold infusion, too.  Also cinnamon eo?

Okay, I think I was confused...Was KristenA saying that cinnamon will burn (be painful)?  What I was thinking was (which I now think is wrong) that cinnamon with its spicyness will burn a wound.  I now think she was talking to Mrs_Zog...am I finally getting it  :P?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2007, 12:48:06 PM »

Ahhh, to bad, I was kinda getting excited about trying cinnamon :(.

Okay, I think I was confused...Was KristenA saying that cinnamon will burn (be painful)?  What I was thinking was (which I now think is wrong) that cinnamon with its spicyness will burn a wound.  I now think she was talking to Mrs_Zog...am I finally getting it  :P?
Well this went completely over my head.....sorry for any confusion.  I didn't even think about the potential of it burning topically...I was thinking about the cooking.  :-[

YoopreMama

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2007, 12:51:24 PM »
Ahhh, to bad, I was kinda getting excited about trying cinnamon :( .  Thanks for letting us know KristenA - it does make sense!  
I'm in your corner, too.  :D  I thought she meant temperature-hot, but I do know that cinnamon oil undiluted can burn your skin b/c of its "strength".  Still debating what to do...it's cooling in the jars and wondering about vanilla...

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2007, 01:22:18 PM »
I was also thinking the cinnamon may not be such a good idea since it might be hot on the skin. I once made HB's homemade facial cleanser and put too much cinnamon in it, and my face was bright red and burning for about a half-hour after I got out of the shower. Maybe if you are making a salve for frostbite...

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2007, 07:13:37 AM »
I am trying to come up  with a salve recipe for hemorrhoid relief

so far, I have found out about these herbs:

white oat bark
alo vera
chickweed
mullein
marshmellow
wormwood
lobelia
queen of the meadow
comfrey
black walnut

these herbs were all recommended to use externally for hemorrhoids

I never made a salve- any suggestions on how to make it stable so it doesnt need to be refriderated? I planned on using coconut oil and beeswax. Would lavender oil help preserve it and help the hemorrhoids?
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline africamissy

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2007, 07:48:27 AM »
I am trying to come up  with a salve recipe for hemorrhoid relief

so far, I have found out about these herbs:

white oat bark
alo vera
chickweed
mullein
marshmellow
wormwood
lobelia
queen of the meadow
comfrey
black walnut

these herbs were all recommended to use externally for hemorrhoids

I never made a salve- any suggestions on how to make it stable so it doesnt need to be refriderated? I planned on using coconut oil and beeswax. Would lavender oil help preserve it and help the hemorrhoids?

I'm curious about this as well (guess why ;) )  I know yarrow & golden seal are also supposed to be good.  I tried applying cooled yarrow/golden seal tea with cotton balls, but I don't think I keep it on long enough.  I would really like a salve so I don't have to lay around with stuff on my bottom.

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2007, 06:14:48 PM »
I've read on this forum about people using propolis in their salves and I know Shoshanna uses it in her Eden Salve. Where do you get it? I know Beeyoutiful carries in in capsule form, but can you get in bulk? Do you just buy the capsules and open a few and pour them in? Thanks!!!
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2007, 06:43:29 PM »
Great question!  I am making a new batch of salve and using Edens recipe  :o and adding some other stuff to it.  I picked up a 11.4 oz container of "Natural Liquid Extract Propolis" from Organic Bee Farms at The Vitamin Shoppe for a whopping $14.  I was just going to wing it and guess how much to use.  Anyone out there know what we are really suppose to do.  Eden lists Propolis #3 in their ingredient list...if it is in order of quantity used that would get very expensive!  Thanks!

I've read on this forum about people using propolis in their salves and I know Shoshanna uses it in her Eden Salve. Where do you get it? I know Beeyoutiful carries in in capsule form, but can you get in bulk? Do you just buy the capsules and open a few and pour them in? Thanks!!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2007, 08:15:31 PM »
Ingredient listings are in descending order by weight. Eden Salves ingredients are:

Echinacea root, comfrey leaf, propolis, plantain leaf, echinacea purpurea, yarrow flower, rosemary leaf, beeswax, pure olive oil and grapefruit seed extract.

The thing is though, that it just means that there is less propolis by weight than the comfrey leaf & more propolis by weight than the plantain leaf. Since both comfrey leaf & plantain leaf are very light a large amount by volume doesn't weigh very much. Since the propolis is a liquid it weighs more for a smaller volume. That means that the VOLUME of the propolis is going to be a MUCH, MUCH smaller volume than the comfrey leaf & plantain leaf. If you have a scale, weight a tablespoon each of comfrey leaf, plantain leaf & propolis & you will see what I mean. Or if you don't have a scale, try putting a 1/4 of a cup of each (to make the weight difference more noticeable) in 3 separate, but identical containers & compare their weights by holding the containers in your hands. Or if your kids have a balance beam weight scale with their science stuff, use it to compare the weights.

To be honest, & to help everyone that is making this & is trying to stay on a strict budget, from looking at the ingredient list it would be a fantastic salve even without the propolis, IMO. Propolis is good for healing the skin & I haven't tried Eden Salve but I have used similar salves that didn't have propolis & they worked very well.   HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Great question!  I am making a new batch of salve and using Edens recipe  :o and adding some other stuff to it.  I picked up a 11.4 oz container of "Natural Liquid Extract Propolis" from Organic Bee Farms at The Vitamin Shoppe for a whopping $14.  I was just going to wing it and guess how much to use.  Anyone out there know what we are really suppose to do.  Eden lists Propolis #3 in their ingredient list...if it is in order of quantity used that would get very expensive!  Thanks!

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2007, 03:20:08 AM »
Herbalmom, You are smart!  You must be a homeschool momma  ;D!

My salve is cooled I am going to go and add in some propolis.

Thanks!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2007, 05:03:36 AM »
Herbalmom, You are smart!  You must be a homeschool momma  ;D!

My salve is cooled I am going to go and add in some propolis.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how smart I am but I have studied nat medicine for 20+ years. Also, I read TONS of non fiction & have since I was a kid. I'm blessed in that one of my gifts is being able to recall info like this & explain it to others. Glad I could help.   

I am I homeshcool mama  ;D & without a doubt, one of the reasons we decided to homeschool was because most of what I use in every day life was self taught. Any time I need to know something I go & find the books I need (now I use the internet also) to learn it on my own so I wasn't hung up on the whole "only CERTIFIED teachers can teach you something" thing. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2007, 06:46:53 AM »
Regarding what herbalmom said about being on a budget, maybe raw honey would cost less and have some of the same benefits? Not as many, I guess, but if you're being frugal...

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2007, 06:50:25 AM »
Oh, yeah, and as I mentioned earlier, raw honey is in the salve that they use in the book Comfort for the Burned and Wounded.

Offline LavenderMom

• Learning
    • From Fields and Gardens
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2007, 11:40:16 AM »
Comb honey is great for salves!  It is usually pretty reasonable, as far as price.  I buy it locally (Michigan) for $4.00 for a 12 ounce container.  You get the wax for firming up the salve and the benefits of the honey, too.  Raw honey is sooooo good for your skin.  We have used just raw honey as a salve and it works great.  Mix it with some cinnamon powder.  Cinnamon is antibiotic, too.  Cinnamon and honey taste great together, as well! 

I have a page with a link on my site for His Healing Honey, medicinal honey blends.
www.fromfieldsandgardens.com

Offline kerimae

• Learning
    • A Happy Home Media
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2007, 01:32:03 PM »
I made a large batch of cream today and it came out great!  Here is how I made it.  You can easily halve the recipe, and in fact, after doing this, I would recommend doing just that.

You need to have two batches of ingredients:  one is the oil mix, the other is the water mix.

1. Oil Mix:  use 2 cups oil of your choice.

What I did:  I used 1 cup of grapeseed oil that I had been infusing three fresh herbs for about three weeks, in three different containers.  I think I could have let it infuse longer, but given the warm temperatures and my limited patience with *stuff* on my counters, three weeks was enough.  You can warm up olive oil (NOT cook/boil) on the stovetop with your herbs for a few hours, or just let herbs sit in grapeseed oil on the counter for a cold infusion (make sure the herbs are submersed and give them a stir every day).   I poured the herb/oil mixture into cheesecloth to strain, squeezing as much out as I could.

For the other cup of oil, I used what I had on hand:  1/4 c. cocoa butter, 1/2 c. apricot kernel oil, 1/4 c. coconut oil. 

2.  Warm up your oils on the stovetop (do NOT cook/boil), and melt in 2 oz of beeswax.  Get it?  1 cup of oil to 1 oz beeswax.  Easy.

3.   Water Mix:  use 2 cups of water/liquid of your choice.

What I did: I got my water mix ready while the oils were warming.  I made a comfrey and St. John’s wort tea earlier (not to drink!), so I used 1 1/2 cups of that.  I used 1/2 cup of aloe juice to make it to 2 cups.  I began using aloe gel but I did not want that fragrance, so opted for the juice instead. 

In the water mix, I used 2 drops of rose otto(not the pure stuff, that is VERY pricey),bergamot and grapefruit essential oils for the uplifting scent, and put in a good squirt of grapefruit seed extract.

Got it so far?  2 cups oil mix with 2 oz beeswax, and 2 cups water mix.  If you want to halve it, it's 1 cup oil mix, 1 oz. beeswax, 1 cup water mix.

4. Pour the warmed oils into your blender and let it cool a few minutes.  Start your blender and while it is running, pour in the water mix.  It will creamify (for lack of a better word) before your eyes.  Mine came out a lovely green color (due to the grapeseed oil, herbs, and aloe).

5.  Pour into your waiting containers.  Let cool and harden.  That’s it!  If you wanted to change the consistency, you could lessen or increase the amount of water mix. 

Mistakes I made (ones that I’m immediately aware of anyway):  using bergamot and grapefruit essential oils; I love the blend, but it can make your skin sensitive to sunlight.  St. John’s wort does the same, and can even make sensitive people break out in a rash.  NOT the effect I’m going after!    ::) Also, next time I would add more essential oils; the scent isn’t quite “there”. 

Lesson learned:  Read up completely on EVERY ingredient first.  I picked herbs that were good for healing cuts, scrapes, burns, and skin inflammation......but obviously wasn’t aware about the sun sensitivity thing.  Here are some things I’ve read, just poking around the internet:  Some herbs have mild antibiotic effects and are astringent.  Comfrey helps firm skin tone and is good for bruises.  Chickweed helps with itching.  St. John’s Wort helps with nerve damage.  Calendula increases blood flow, promotes the production of collagen proteins, and may also help protect the skin from chemicals.  (And get this:  “Results from recent animal and laboratory studies show that calendula may also have some anti-infective properties – particularly against fungal infections and against viruses, including HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.”  Wow!)  The oil mix I made is high in vitamin E, oleic and linoleic acid, and works to prevent tissue damage and aging while lubricating the skin.  Grapefuit Seed Extract will help to keep my cream fresh, in addition to being a “broad-spectrum natural antibiotic, capable of killing a wide variety of pathogens.”

That being said, I’m very, very pleased with my cream!  It feels great!  I think I’ll call it “Winter Evening Care Cream” so that sunlight is avoided after use. And I think I'll lesson the amount of ingredients I use as well.  It will be fun experimenting, and I know a few guinea pigs around here who will be getting some hand cream real soon!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 01:37:17 PM by kerimae »
Happy help meet and mama of many, including one with Down Syndrome, looking to joyfully serve the Lord out of a happy home.

YoopreMama

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2007, 03:06:04 PM »
I'm glad you all reminded me of how good raw honey is on skin...my daughter got a motorcycle burn that blistered up on her leg today and I had picked up some raw honey at the Farm Market today...I put it on my skin, too (eczema)...the only complaint is it is so sticky!  (Duh, I know  ::)).  Do you all put a bandage over honey?

Offline enksmom

• Learning
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2007, 04:28:52 PM »
Wow, Kerimae ~

Those are great directions!  I can't wait to get started.  I have so many things I want to make, salve, cream, hair rinse, toothpaste ... not enough time in the day.  Since I am new to this "natural" way of life, how do you figure out how much of the different ingredients you use ... trial & error  ???  I see lots of good ideas, but sometimes there are no actual "amounts" listed.  Anyway, thanks again for the directions!  God bless!