Author Topic: Making Cream/Salve  (Read 65197 times)

Offline momof4boys

• Adept
Making Cream/Salve
« on: October 11, 2006, 03:21:32 AM »
I was reading on another post about someone making their own creams and salves.  Can anyone post a recipe and how-to directions for them?  I'm interested in just a base to get started and then I could add the ingrediants as needed.

Thanks, Deanna   :)
Faith does not deny the reality of the difficulty.
Faith declares the POWER of God in the face of it.

Offline wardermom

• Learning
Re: Making Cream/Salve
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 04:15:18 AM »
A base of equal parts olive oil and coconut oil is pretty nice.

Offline momof4boys

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:38:04 AM »
How do you store it?

Deanna
Faith does not deny the reality of the difficulty.
Faith declares the POWER of God in the face of it.

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 11:30:51 AM »
I found this link to three different salve recipes.  I may just have to try this once my Miracle Skin Salve is finished.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=39;t=000064;p=0
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 11:33:50 AM by joyfullyhis »
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 06:29:37 AM »
Instructional podcast on how to make Salves:
www.backtobasicspodcast.com

under: Salves

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 06:33:34 AM »
I have been listening and am impressed Kristen!  Great job!  Is there a substitute for bees wax?  The MAN has a couple of leads and is trying to procure some for me, but until then............  We also, sadly enough live in a yard with umpteen coconut trees and I can't find coconut oil!  >:(
Thanks
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 06:34:58 AM »
Thanks!
She said Vaseline if you can't find anything else. It's just not ideal, but will let you get the herbal properties.

Offline LavenderMom

• Learning
    • From Fields and Gardens
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 06:55:26 AM »
I know that a lot of people use vaseline, but I wouldn't do it.  It has too many impurities and chemicals in it and is a known cancer causing agent.  I remember reading specifically about its link to breast cancer.

Beeswax can be found simply by locating some local beekeepers.  You can also buy it online.  If you are going to be making salves and balms, you really need to keep it on hand, so it is worth the trouble to find a supplier.  If you can't find plain beeswax, see if you can find comb honey.  Melt the comb and don't even bother straining it...honey has tons of healing benefits.  Raw honey has been known to treat the most stubborn staph infections.  It makes for a great salve.

You can usually find pure cocoa butter in solid form pretty easily...I think I've even seen it at Wal-mart.

As a last resort, in the old days that used tallow to make salves.  I would only use organic beef tallow.

I sell herbal mixtures for making salves and balms and I include a beeswax tart...pure, unrefined, fragrant beeswax...with each blend.  You can find the blends at my site  www.fromfieldsandgardens.com

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 08:46:01 AM »
I just made my first salve yesterday.  I mixed about 4 cups of Extra Virgin Olive Oil with about 170 grams of beeswax.  I put this is the crock pot on low to melt the beeswax.  I then added 1 BIG comfrey leaf, some plantain leaves and some aloe leaves.  I let this "cook" on low for about 3 hours.  Then I strained it and poured it into jars.  This made a big batch...the smallest jars I had on hand were jelly jars and it filled 5 1/2 jars.

I put it on a cut on my arm and the pain and redness disappeared almost immediately.

DH put it on a rash on his arms and this morning the rash was gone.

So far I'm pleased with the results.  The big test is for DH to carry it in his work truck to treat his injuries at work.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

YoopreMama

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »
I just made my first salve yesterday.  I mixed about 4 cups of Extra Virgin Olive Oil with about 170 grams of beeswax.  I put this is the crock pot on low to melt the beeswax.  I then added 1 BIG comfrey leaf, some plantain leaves and some aloe leaves.  I let this "cook" on low for about 3 hours.  Then I strained it and poured it into jars.  This made a big batch...the smallest jars I had on hand were jelly jars and it filled 5 1/2 jars. 
Dawn--Thanks for sharing your method--that's my kind of approach!

earthymomof2

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 09:00:51 AM »
We're amazed with the results of our homemade comfrey/olive oil/beeswax/preserved with vitamin E salve.  I've added a few other essential oils to make it an all around replacement for neosporin (I added tea tree oil, peppermint oil, myrrh oil, camphor oil) and it's been just greet.  And its shelf life has been really long.  I think I made it two years ago.  We put in on everything from boo-boos to rashes to burns.

I think I infused the olive oil with the comfrey in a glass jar (may have also added some goldenseal and oregon grape root) over a very low heat (in a waterbath in a small saucepan, keeping it around 130 degrees (no higher) for about 3 or 4 hours.  Strained out the herbs and then melted the beeswax into oil (also in a waterbath....this time the oil was in a pyrex in a saucepan of water over low to medium heat), added liquid vitamin E oil and the essential oils, then poured it into tins.

Offline kerimae

• Learning
    • A Happy Home Media
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 11:39:56 AM »
Would grapeseed oil be a good substitute for olive oil in making these creams?  This oil is high in vitamin E, so I was thinking that would be good to help keep it from going bad.....but I wondered if olive oil had some properties to it that make it a better oil to use? 

Also, would it be better not to cook the herbs in the oil?  That is, how about just letting it sit in the oil for a cold pressing?  Or is the oil more likely to go rancid that way? 

Thanks,
Keri
Happy help meet and mama of many, including one with Down Syndrome, looking to joyfully serve the Lord out of a happy home.

earthymomof2

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 12:29:55 PM »
Yes, you can cold infuse the herbs.  Grapeseed oil is more suited for cold infusing.  Olive oil can take the heat better so it is better for hot infusions.  I've done cold infusions too.  I cover the herbs with the oil and put it in a sunny window for two weeks.  This works great too. 

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 06:41:04 PM »
Question about using coconut oil (the good stuff) in salves............

On the podcast Shoshanna mentioned a thickener would not be needed if coconut oil is used.  Do the herbs keep the coconut oil from becoming liquid in hotter temps?  I'd love to use coconut oil but if it does not hold it's firmness, I will probably go with olive oil and bees wax (found some locally :) yay!!)

A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 01:30:04 AM »
Yeah, I live in the south, so I am wondering how the coconut oil would not liquify in the summer in the salve.  Any insights?
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 03:06:30 AM »
You could put the coconut salve in the fridge. That would keep it firm. But, not using a wax WILL make it more slimy on the skin (even in the winter). It melts fast!

But, it's a really easy/fast way to do a salve!

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 04:04:49 AM »
You could put the coconut salve in the fridge. That would keep it firm. But, not using a wax WILL make it more slimy on the skin (even in the winter). It melts fast!

Thanks, Kristen  ;)  With all the health benefits of coconut oil alone, it's hard to not want to use it!!!

A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 06:15:11 AM »

the fridge will make it very hard and very difficult to use unless you dilute or mix it another oil.  even with half olive and half coconut, it gets very hard in the fridge, and i have to use a spoon to get it out of the jar. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 07:34:03 AM »

the fridge will make it very hard and very difficult to use unless you dilute or mix it another oil.  even with half olive and half coconut, it gets very hard in the fridge, and i have to use a spoon to get it out of the jar. 

Didn't think about that!
I guess I was just considering how GOOT acted in the fridge. DUH! It has olive oil in it. heheh

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 10:53:25 AM »

I put it on a cut on my arm and the pain and redness disappeared almost immediately.

So far I'm pleased with the results.  The big test is for DH to carry it in his work truck to treat his injuries at work.

Where do you get a big comfrey leaf? Also I can't find plaintain anywhere. Any ideas of finding these? Could you use bought dried leaves.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 11:04:51 AM »

Where do you get a big comfrey leaf? Also I can't find plaintain anywhere. Any ideas of finding these? Could you use bought dried leaves.

I got my comfrey leaf out of my herb garden that DH planted for me this year.  Comfrey is hard to start, so I got roots from Horizon Herbs.  That's actually where I got all of my seeds.  Their prices are reasonable.

Plantain grows everywhere except in my yard.  We live in town and I think all of the spraying that people do affects my lawn.  So I planted it in my herb garden.  But we have found it growing out in the country and picked it there also.

My book says you can use the dried herbs to make salves.  My next batch will probably be with dried.  I just happened to have fresh because I was harvesting my herbs.

HTH!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

YoopreMama

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 11:11:13 AM »
We have comfrey growing along our canal--think it likes being by water, but transplanted some into my yard easily--very easy to grow w/ a bit of root.  Can take over an area, actually.... :o

Plantain is everywhere one you know what to look for--I tried to order it from a company and they insisted I checked my backyard.  Sure enough, I have 2 kinds growing.  :-[ ::) :D Have you checked the plantain thread for pix?

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
  • Joseph's Coat rose bush:a gift from my parents
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 07:54:50 AM »
Do any of you know if comfrey root will work just as well as comfrey leaf? Would there be any harm in making a hot infusion with comfrey root?

What part of calendula plants ought to be used?

What ratio of olive oil to beeswax has been successful?

I'm allergic to GSE (when I drank a few drops in a glass of water, it gave me a sore throat. Eating grapefruit yields the same result. The homemade cleaner I made with GSE makes my hands blister.) I have heard that vitamin E (oil) can help preserve lotions/salves. Is this true?

A "master herbalist" told me recently that I should be careful about using "weeds" from my yard because they could be crosspollenated with other things. What do you all think of this?

Thanks in advance for your help! This is exciting!
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 08:45:48 AM »
Comfrey root should be interchangable with the leaf for an infusion. I do usually use olive oil and use a hot/warm method to infuse.
Calendula flowers are what I usually use.
If I use 6-8 oz oil olive oil I generally put in a loose 1/4 Cup of beeswax and I like this consistency for a salve.
You can use vit E as a preservative.  I usually add this with essential oils for preservation.
I don't honestly know much about the issues of cross-pollination, my personal concern with wildcrafting is pollutants/chemicals and proper identification.  I would personally think that it shouldn't matter too much for what I do wild harvest.

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 01:58:28 PM »
Thanks, Mrs. B!

When you say "loose 1/4 cup of beeswax," is your beeswax grated?
How much Vit E would you use per 6-8 oz olive oil?

My gut reaction to this master herbalist's concern for cross-pollenation was "I think you're trying get me to buy your herbs." I didn't say anything out loud though. How does she know if her herbs are not "afflicted" with cross-pollenation? Were they grown in a sterile greenhouse in an artificial environment? I think I'd rather use those that are exposed to the real sun and rain.  ;)
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 02:55:37 PM »
My beeswax is essentially a brick of wax so I grate it myself.  If you are using granules I would use a bit less as it would be more tightly packed.
When I do my salves I tend to have the oil and beeswax warming.  In the container/s that the salve will be stored I put whatever essential oils and maybe 5-8 drops of vit E.  My vit e is in a squeeze bottle so it makes it a bit easier, or you could use 2 capsules for the whole 8 oz.
I hope this helps...

YoopreMama

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2007, 12:27:53 PM »
Just sharing...I have a salve brewing now.  :) I've made them on the stove top before, but this is the 1st time I've done the "crock pot" method.    ;)  I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions to improve my technique/results! 

I filled a quart jar 1/2 way w/ fresh, chopped plantain, comfrey (dried, too), yarrow, lavender, and aloe.  Then I poured olive oil to cover it all, and added ~2 T coconut oil (too hard being in the frig--was in a hurry).  I lidded the jar and placed it on a towel in my crock pot, filled w/ water and set on low.  That was last night.  I plan to stir occasionally and "harvest" in 2 more days.  Then, after straining, maybe add some melted beeswax for firming it up.

Intend for it to be an all-purpose salve...burns, bites, owies...

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 09:55:04 AM »
Hi Yooper Mama/Kitty! I've been meaning to post and ask how everyone's salve-making went. I made a similar one to the one you described. I didn't think of adding yarrow, but I added chickweed; rosewater (supposed to soften skin); rosemary, thyme, and Vitamin E (preservatives); and I think a few other things that I had around. I just cooked it in the crockpot till the plantain was crispy, I'd guess you could go longer and it would be fine or better. I think I added the coconut oil and aloe after it cooled a little so I wouldn't destroy any properties. One other thing I added after it cooled - raw honey! I was inspired to do that by the Comfort for the Burned and Wounded book 'cause they had it in the burn salve they described. The aloe got kind of chunky and made it watery.

I made a second batch of salve for diaper ointment which was just a tin of Bag Balm (lanolin) melted down with plantain and comfrey added and then poured back in the tin. But on that one, I also added chamomile, which I will add to all my salves from now on, because it really gives it a nice smell! That plantain doesn't smell all that pleasant and I couldn't get enough lavender or any of the other stuff in it to make it smell nice in the other batch. I think chamomile has some soothing and anti-itch properties, too.

On the smell issue, like I said, I kept adding lavender oil and eucalyptus oil and rosewater to make it smell nice, but the smell never came through. Maybe peppermint or cinnamon oil would work, but I didn't have those.

I've been using it for about 3 months and it's been great! It's the best on bug bites - they just disappear! I brought a small jar while on vacation visiting family and it was great for all manner of owies. The kids ask for it and I believe it really does relieve pain. I haven't noticed any quicker healing but I did notice one sore on my daughter heal over the top before it healed inside. My husband has been putting it on ingrown hairs and he notices that it draws them out and he's normally a skeptic. I used it as a facial moisturizer on vacation and I believed it also had some sunblock properties. We were traveling for a month so it was easier than bringing coconut oil for moisturizer/sunblock. And the best was that my red-haired son got a bad sunburn on his back (that wasn't good) and I didn't have any aloe so I just smeared that on whenever I could. I believe it helped him heal because he only peeled the tiniest bit and he didn't get freckles afterward. Oh yeah, and he got two yellow-jacket stings and it made them stop hurting completely. It was just so nice to have on vacation - I always had this all-purpose herbal solution when I was traveling to people's homes and who didn't even have kids and didn't even have plantain in their nicely manicured yards!

Can you believe I'm posting for the first time in 2 months?! I broke my addiction being on vacation. So I'm a little rusty and rambly. Now that I've posted once I'm afraid I'm going to fall off the wagon, though...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:29:26 AM by JuliaofSunnyside »

YoopreMama

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 10:33:36 AM »
Hi Yooper Mama/Kitty!...  I made a similar one to the one you described. I didn't think of adding yarrow, but I added chickweed, rosewater (supposed to soften skin), rosemary, thyme, Vitamin E (preservatives) and I think a few other things that I had around. I just cooked it in the crockpot till the plantain was crispy, I'd guess you could go longer and it would be fine or better. I think I added the coconut oil and aloe after it cooled a little so I wouldn't destroy any properties. One other thing I added after it cooled - raw honey!

I made a second batch of salve for diaper ointment which was just a tin of Bag Balm (lanolin) melted down with plantain and comfrey added and then poured back in the tin. But on that one, I also added chamomile, which I will add to all my salves from now on, because it really gives it a nice smell! That plantain doesn't smell all that pleasant and I couldn't get enough lavender or any of the other stuff in it to make it smell nice in the other batch. I think chamomile has some soothing and anti-itch properties, too.

On the smell issue, like I said, I kept adding lavender oil and eucalyptus oil and rosewater to make it smell nice, but the smell never came through. Maybe peppermint or cinnamon oil would work, but I didn't have those.

I've been using it for about 3 months and it's been great! It's the best on bug bites - they just disappear! I brought a small jar while on vacation visiting family and it was great for all manner of owies. The kids ask for it and I believe it really does relieve pain. I haven't noticed any quicker healing but I did notice one sore on my daughter heal over the top before it healed inside. My husband has been putting it on ingrown hairs and he notices that it draws them out and he's normally a skeptic. I used it as a facial moisturizer on vacation and I believed it also had some sunblock properties. We were traveling for a month so it was easier than bringing coconut oil for moisturizer/sunblock. And the best was that my red-haired son got a bad sunburn on his back (that wasn't good) and I didn't have any aloe so I just smeared that on whenever I could. I believe it helped him heal because he only peeled the tiniest bit and he didn't get freckles afterward. Oh yeah, and he got two yellow-jacket stings and it made them stop hurting completely. It was just so nice to have on vacation - I always had this all-purpose herbal solution when I was traveling to people's homes and who didn't even have kids and didn't even have plantain in their nicely manicured yards!

Can you believe I'm posting for the first time in 2 months?! I broke my addiction being on vacation. So I'm a little rusty and rambly. Now that I've posted once I'm afraid I'm going to fall off the wagon, though...
WELCOME BACK!  :-* I missed you!  :)

Thanks for sharing your salve experience.  Did you put it in a JAR in the crockpot, or just in the crockpot?  The honey and rosewater were neat ideas!  Why thyme?  Chickweed is good for itch--can't believe I forgot that one.   ::)  Chamomile IS soothing, yes...I use an EO of it on my skin sometimes...nicer smell than plantain, too.   :P  Peppermint and cinnamon oil...hmmm...never thought of those for scent and I have them! 

I sure appreciated hearing all of the ways that it worked for you.  How's the final consistency then?  It must not have been refrigerated while traveling then much--the Vitamin E helped preserve it?

Thanks for sharing!  Good luck catching up on things...especially if you read the Chat thread.  We were a bit umm,...industrious? while you were gone... ;)  (identity swapping/stealing, posting of close-ups/weddings, etc...).  Poor HB!   :D

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 07:24:18 PM »
I just finished up my first salve since the Salve podcast (Thank you so much, Shoshanna for sharing your method/recipe and Kristen & Hubby for putting it together! And thank you, Mrs. B for answering my other questions!). It turned out much better than my previous 3-4 attempts. Here's what I did:

In a quart jar I put dried herbs:
1 oz comfrey root
1/2 oz plantain leaf
1/4 oz calendula/marigold petals
(approx. 3 Tablespoons each)

I poured in extra virgin olive oil until the herbs were covered. I set the jar on a potholder/hotpad in my two quart crockpot, filled the crockpot with water, set a plastic lid from something else on the mouth of the jar so that heat could escape, turned it on low and left it for three days. I kept adding water so the water level stayed above that of the oil. (We have an "instant hot water dispenser" so it made it easier to keep the temperature constant--if that matters?)

After three days, I poured the mixture through cheesecloth(which I found in the painting section of our local Kroger-owned one-stop-shop.), squeezed out all the oil I could (rubbed in what was left on my hands, wiped off excess with paper towel so I wouldn't have butter oil fingers.), put the strained oil(slightly more than 8 oz.) in a pint jar , and put the pint jar in the crockpot. I grated part of a brick of beeswax and loosely filled a 1/4 cup(approx 1/2 oz by weight). I put the beeswax in the oil. It mostly melted, but I turned the crockpot on high because it looked like it was not going to melt thoroughly. I stirred it with a (new) wooden chopstick. The melting point of beeswax is somewhere around 144 degrees F, if I remember correctly. Eventually it looked all melted and stirred well. Sometime in there toward the "end" I added about 1/2 teaspoon of unrefined shea butter (https://secure.alaffia.com/product.php?productid=16006&cat=249&page=1 or http://www.agbangakarite.com/ I ordered a pound through my local HFS(free shipping!).) After I took it out of the crock pot, I added about 6 drops of Vit E. I poured some into some small containers, then left the rest in the jar.

The consistency is nice and smooth. I was surprised how green the herbs made the oil. The real test came in the middle of the night. My body is ridding itself of the latex paint I sprayed dds' bedroom with last week. I didn't think it through that I'm allergic to latex, so now I'm living the consequences. Anyway, my hands are broken out with tiny blisters and for some reason itch virtually uncontrollably in the middle of the night. Last night while they were itching I rubbed on a layer of my fresh salve. The next time I woke up, my hands did not itch!  ;D With my previous attempts at salves, the opposite would have happened(they didn't have herbs infused and had much more beeswax). I have also had just plain olive oil make me blister, so I am really encouraged and excited now.

After I started making this batch, I looked in a "Home Herbal" book I obtained recently. It mentioned that a "cold infusion" jar could be placed in a sunny window or a greenhouse for a couple of weeks. The part about the greenhouse got me to thinking. What about putting such a jar inside a car and take advantage of that heat? I would just have to drive a little smoother so it would stay on the dash.  ;) I wonder if it would get too hot? How do you know when the oil is infused and the herbs are "used up?" How did Shoshanna arrive at three days in a hot/warm water bath? I have since seen/heard other sources say three hours is sufficient.

I hope this is helpful to others. I sure am having fun!  :D