Author Topic: Beans: Recipes, Tips & Troubleshooting  (Read 128374 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Beans: Recipes, Tips & Troubleshooting
« Reply #240 on: January 01, 2009, 04:50:56 AM »
ok, so if my beans soaked overnight and i used SC's bowl method for sprouting them and they didn't sprout in 24 hours w/ 3 or 4 rinses with treated water, then is the problem that they aren't organic?  i got them at an amish food store, they aren't labeled organic, just bulk.  or should i leave them longer?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #241 on: January 01, 2009, 07:26:26 AM »
ok, so if my beans soaked overnight and i used SC's bowl method for sprouting them and they didn't sprout in 24 hours w/ 3 or 4 rinses with treated water, then is the problem that they aren't organic?  i got them at an amish food store, they aren't labeled organic, just bulk.  or should i leave them longer?

It usually takes a couple of days for mine to sprout, with rinsing them several times a day and keeping them covered.  I usually just keep watching for the skins to split, kwim?  I don't wait for full-fledged, growing sprouts for most bean recipes. 

I admit, though, that our house is kept pretty cool in the winter.  It takes much less time for mine to sprout in summer. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #242 on: January 01, 2009, 07:54:59 AM »

It usually takes a couple of days for mine to sprout, with rinsing them several times a day and keeping them covered.  I usually just keep watching for the skins to split, kwim?  I don't wait for full-fledged, growing sprouts for most bean recipes. 

I admit, though, that our house is kept pretty cool in the winter.  It takes much less time for mine to sprout in summer. 

oh, cool!  well, i left them in there, and now i think i see *one* sprout!!!  so maybe by tonight they will all be sprouted!  yippee!  i have tons of beans from the same place, and have been wanting to do this forever! so, maybe i have success!  thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #243 on: January 01, 2009, 09:51:16 AM »
Does anyone know if the water for rinsing has to be unchlorinated?  it seems such a waste to rinse and dump out all that filtered water.  could i reuse the same rinse water for a whole day? 

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2009, 05:40:18 AM »
I had a Britta pitcher I used solely for soaking and cooking water so my real filtered water could be saved for drinking. Just an idea.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2009, 06:37:17 AM »
I had a Britta pitcher I used solely for soaking and cooking water so my real filtered water could be saved for drinking. Just an idea.

hmmm.....does anyone else use tap water?  i'm thinking this sprouting thing just isn't worth the effort.   :-\  soaking isn't bad though.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2009, 07:02:26 AM »
hmmm.....does anyone else use tap water?  i'm thinking this sprouting thing just isn't worth the effort.   :-\  soaking isn't bad though.

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner. 

Yes, I use tap water for soaking and rinsing my beans.  I just can't go as far as some with all the nutritional information, so I do what I can with what I have.  I really like the sprouted beans best, though.  It makes a difference, imo.  But when I don't have time to sprout them, I eat soaked beans with thanksgiving. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »
I have a bean problem. I can many kinds of beans (kidney, great northern, black, lima, chick pea and pinto). No problem with any of them except the pinto. For the second time now about half of the jars when opened were fermented ??? I can them all the same way for the same amount of time. Has anyone had this problem? I can't figure out why just the pinto. It happens to be the one we use the most (we eat a lot of Mexican) and I am out so I am getting ready to can some soon. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2009, 12:01:28 PM »
I have a bean problem. I can many kinds of beans (kidney, great northern, black, lima, chick pea and pinto). No problem with any of them except the pinto. For the second time now about half of the jars when opened were fermented ??? I can them all the same way for the same amount of time. Has anyone had this problem? I can't figure out why just the pinto. It happens to be the one we use the most (we eat a lot of Mexican) and I am out so I am getting ready to can some soon. Any advice would be appreciated.

Can you tell us how you process your beans?   Could it be that your canner isn't working right?   You can take it to the county extension office and they can check and make sure the pressure is right.   I'm wondering if to much water leaks out in the process. 
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
« Reply #249 on: February 01, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
 I pressure them at 10# for 1 hour. My pressure cooker has a gauge and it works for everything else including other types of beans. That is why I can't figure it out. What would the water leaking out have to do with fermenting? Thanks, Kim

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »
What would the water leaking out have to do with fermenting? Thanks, Kim

B/C if the water leaks out it gets food residue on the rims which will keep the jars from fully sealing. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2009, 12:59:54 PM »
I pressure them at 10# for 1 hour. My pressure cooker has a gauge and it works for everything else including other types of beans. That is why I can't figure it out. What would the water leaking out have to do with fermenting? Thanks, Kim
I have always read that you need to process your beans at 10# for 90 minutes.  Maybe that would make a difference.  HTH

Offline littlewife

• Adept
« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2009, 07:19:50 AM »
I have a quick question. I am boiling some beans for chili tonight (I didn't remember to soak them last night) and I noticed that the water has turned green. :o I've done this before and never have noticed green water! Any ideas? Is it safe to eat? I'm hoping it will go away... I did rinse them before I put them on the stove...maybe I didn't rinse them well enough? I added about a tablespoon of baking soda, before I put them on the stove, to get the gas out, and there seems to be a lot more gas with this batch than there normally is...

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #253 on: January 24, 2010, 05:01:57 AM »
oh, i did a "oops"! i soaked some beans since friday afternoon, rinsed and put them in to soak again yesterday am.  but then i left them 24 hours or so, and this am got them out to cook them.  they are a bit stinky and i wasn't sure if there could be mold in the bubbles on top.  any opinions?  is that too long?  dump 'em or cook 'em? 

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #254 on: January 24, 2010, 06:14:50 AM »
I have a quick question. I am boiling some beans for chili tonight (I didn't remember to soak them last night) and I noticed that the water has turned green. :o I've done this before and never have noticed green water! Any ideas? Is it safe to eat? I'm hoping it will go away... I did rinse them before I put them on the stove...maybe I didn't rinse them well enough? I added about a tablespoon of baking soda, before I put them on the stove, to get the gas out, and there seems to be a lot more gas with this batch than there normally is...
If you rinse them well after putting in the baking soda it seems to be less gassy. Not certain, but if I remember correctly some of the gas factors do not breakdown with heat. They have to be rinsed off. After sprouting I rinse, bring to a boil, set in the sink, stir in the b. soda which foams like crazy, then drain, rinse and proceed with cooking.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #255 on: January 24, 2010, 06:18:15 AM »
Do they stink after you rinse them? I'd rinse thoroughly and then use baking soda as I described in the last post. After they are heated and rinsed from that process see what they smell like.

I've had some that didn't get rinsed often enough while sprouting, but they weren't actually sitting in water. I've not had to throw them out.
 Beans can get a bloom of mold on them as they ferment, but I don't think it is a harmful variety. Depends how sensitive your family might be.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #256 on: January 24, 2010, 06:35:58 AM »
hmmm......okie dokie! will go do that! thanks boysmama!

Offline amlucy

• Learning
« Reply #257 on: December 20, 2010, 02:51:28 AM »
Ohh I forgot -- another easy one is the northern white navy beans or whatever they're called.  You just do the usual boil first, soak all night, boil all day thing.  But you throw a ham hock in it in the morning.  These are much more drab than most other beans, but they still are yummy!

OK. On a tight budget and am trying to add more beans to our lunches while dh is at work since he doesn't like beans. But I have no clue how to cook beans! My family always ate hamburger helper, so when we got married 5 1/2 years ago, all I knew was how to brown meat. Now that I'm getting better at cooking and have a great source of dried beans sold cheap in bulk, I want to add more beans to our diet. So, are they really that hard? I'm just afraid I won't season them enough or cook them long enough. This dunce needs some desperate help! Really need to cut budget down drastically!

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #258 on: December 20, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »
The best thing about beans is that you can put dry beans in a quart jar (1 1/3 cup) add water to cover and pressure can at 10 pounds of pressure for 90 minutes.   Ready to use beans without all the soaking and cooking.    Beans are really good in soups etc.   You can even substitute beans in some hamburger recipes.   I use them on my pizza instead of hamburger.   

Offline amlucy

• Learning
« Reply #259 on: December 21, 2010, 09:48:16 AM »
The best thing about beans is that you can put dry beans in a quart jar (1 1/3 cup) add water to cover and pressure can at 10 pounds of pressure for 90 minutes.

I don't have a pressure cooker  :( Can I still cook beans without one?

Alicia

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #260 on: December 21, 2010, 10:35:49 AM »
I want to add more beans to our diet. So, are they really that hard? I'm just afraid I won't season them enough or cook them long enough. This dunce needs some desperate help! Really need to cut budget down drastically!

Beans are so yummy!  They just take a bit more planning and time when you add them to your diet, but you can do it!  A motivated cook can figure them out and we're here to help you.   ;) 

When I first started cooking beans, I used recipes with meat in them so that my husband was more accepting.  He now enjoys a variety of bean dishes.   I have storage containers to put cooked beans into for keeping in the 'frig or freezing. 

If you scroll to the top of this page on your 'puter, you will see some numbers (my computer shows that we are currently on page 9).  You want to click on the '1' and start at the beginning of the thread for some wonderful, tried and true bean recipes. 

hope that helps!
~c

Offline amlucy

• Learning
« Reply #261 on: December 22, 2010, 08:45:29 AM »
Thanks. Yeah, I will read the other posts from all of you heplful gals out there! I sincerely appreciate all the advice and encouragement!

YoopreMama

Offline amlucy

• Learning
« Reply #263 on: January 07, 2011, 01:34:05 AM »
Yay! I made beans on Monday. Because Sundays can be sooo busy, I decided to soak them all day Sunday (in the baking soda, which we did notice a difference) so I wouldn’t forget to do them Sunday night. Monday morning, I drained them, rinsed them, and cooked them on the stove all day with a leftover ham bone, little bit of the ham juice, and what meat was left on the bone. My dh actually ate before he came home (schedule conflict, but no biggie) but he still tried them, and was extremely impressed! The only thing now is to figure out how to make beans still taste good when I don’t have a leftover ham bone…….

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #264 on: January 07, 2011, 07:02:02 AM »
The only thing now is to figure out how to make beans still taste good when I don’t have a leftover ham bone…….

Glad that you are happy with the results! 
If you want that taste in your beans, you can purchase smoked pork shanks (or hocks) in the butcher case at your store.  I usually have the butcher cut them into smaller chunks for economy's sake.   In a pinch, I have also used a couple of pieces of bacon.