Author Topic: Activated Charcoal Powder: Safe to take on a regular basis?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline sarahlizzy3

• Wide Eyed
Activated Charcoal Powder: Safe to take on a regular basis?
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:45:35 AM »
I have irritable bowel syndrome, and I have found activated charcoal powder to be a great help and relief for my symptoms.  My question is: Is it okay to take it on a regular basis?  I have read that it can steal vitamins and minerals that your body needs, in addition to the toxins it removes.  Just wondering if anyone know more about this than I do, and would be willing to give some advice.  Thanks!  :) 

Offline DHW

• Adept
Re: Activated Charcoal Powder: Safe to take on a regular basis?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »
I think you are fine to take charcoal on a regular basis.  It adsorbs toxins and poisons, so it can interfere with Rx and OTC drugs (they are usually toxic), but it does not adsorb naturally occuring vitamins and minerals.  (Synthetic supplements could also be less effective.)

See this for an explanation: http://www.charcoalremedies.com/faq

Likewise, Agatha Thrash ("Rx: Charcoal")  has found no evidence of charcoal interfering with nutrition.

Offline sarahlizzy3

• Wide Eyed
Re: Activated Charcoal Powder: Safe to take on a regular basis?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 06:09:12 PM »
Okay, thanks so much!  I am excited to hear this, because it really does help my IBS a lot, so it will be nice to be able to take it without worrying about using it too much. :)  Thanks for the research!