Remedies & Therapies > Colds, Flus & Viruses

Toddler has recurrent croup. Any experiences to share?

(1/2) > >>

helovesme:
My son is 2.5 years old, and over the last year or so has had 10 or more episodes of croup. Many episodes have been severe enough for a trip to the ER, and one got him admitted for 24 hours.  He has been seen by an ENT to see if anything is wrong anatomically and they said he is fine. 

One theory is that his reflux keeps him slightly irritated, so almost every cold/virus turns quickly to croup.

I try to support his immune system the best I can. Lots of supplements can be pricey, but we do try to give him probiotics and elderberry when we can.  Any other suggestions??  He gets croup about every two months, sometimes more frequently.

helovesme:
bump...anyone?

Precious:
Garlic, garlic, garlic.  It's antiviral (and cheap)--since croup is almost always caused by a virus.  I know that lobelia and mullein are wonderful respiratory herbs.  Reading through the thread on croup may be helpful.

A cool mist humidifier whenever he gets a cold might help prevent the croup.  Have him sleep as upright as possible.  Eliminate sugar and processed foods.

According to Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child by Janet Zand, marshmallow root lessens inflammation and coats and soothes an irritated throat, mullein helps promote expectoration and soothes the respiratory tract, osha root helps clear the lungs, and licorice has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.  She suggests making a tea from equal parts of those ingredients and giving your child one dose of tea, twice daily.

If the reflux is a factor, you might look at other options for controlling it more effectively.

helovesme:
Good info, thanks a lot.

healthybratt:

try this link.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php?topic=1083.30

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version