Author Topic: Please help! How to stop diarrhea  (Read 8327 times)

Offline danielswife

• Learning
Please help! How to stop diarrhea
« on: July 08, 2011, 05:00:46 AM »
I'm having a lot of troubles with the search engine on this website. Can someone please tell me how to stop diarrhea in a 1 1/2 yr. old? It all started with him throwing up and a touch of fever. Then he's had diarrhea for the past 3 days( but seems to feel normal other than that). It's very foul smelling and mucousy. I've tried givng him banana's and probiotics everyday. He won't eat yogurt, so I give him a probiotic chewable. Any advice on how to naturally  cure my little boy is very much appreciated. God Bless!  ;D

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
Re: Please help! How to stop diarrhea
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:44:21 AM »
Do you think he's teething or sick? My son gets terrible diarrhea and a fever when he's teething  :-\
My 3 1/2 yr old daughter had explosive diarrhea earlier this week, so I gave her some Bentonite Clay mixed in some fiber (I just used the generic brand of Metamucel), that seemed to help a lot. Mainly I gave it to her because it was all I had on hand, so other things might be better to use.
I also gave her plenty of probiotics. It took a couple of days, but now she is finally starting to have firmer BM's though she's still having them more than usual. So depending on what he's fighting, it could take a while.
I haven't been able to get any yet, but Tummy Tune-Up is supposed to be great, though I'm not sure the age you can give it to children.
Apples and carrots are also good. Hope he feels better soon  :)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 05:57:27 AM »
Sounds like a bacteria caused illness due to the fever and foul smell. 

Probiotics are a good thing to be giving him. (That's what Tummy Tune-up is, btw)   Anything that you have on hand that fights/kills bacteria would be good; garlic, echinachea, etc..   

If you have any brown rice, try to get him to eat some of that or even make a soup or drink with water that has been boiled for 45 minutes with brown rice.   Brown rice has the property of normalizing the intestinal tract, as well as soothing the system. 

If these suggestions sound sort of like food, then you have guessed my secret!  Make a healing soup with chicken bones, garlic, onion, ginger, and a bit of brown rice. 

hope that helps
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:37:07 AM »
Ladyhen (or anyone else  :))
How can you tell when it's bacterial and when it's just teething or something else? I thought it was normal for a baby to have diarrhea while teething, but now I'm not sure (just when I think I know a little of something, someone puts a different post that totally throws me and makes me realize I don't know anything!  :D). And I thought all BM's smelled foul-except breastmilk poop-so is there a different kind of foul I should be smelling for?
Like I said earlier, my daughter had explosive diarrhea and I did the above which seemed to help, but should I have done/do something differently? I don't even know what caused it, since nothing in her diet changed-it came on very suddenly. And how do you give garlic to children? I've tried the garlic and honey and my kids just look at me like "You're kidding, right?"  :-\
And they normally LOVE taking vitamins and healthy stuff-you should see them fight over the Bentonite Clay  ???
I personally stay away from echinacea because it gives my husband diarrhea and I don't know how it wiill affect my kids and I'm not brave enough to try it on them yet...
I guess I have a hard time knowing when to be concerned and when not to. Is diarrhea always a serious thing? Sorry for all the questions.  Any advice is so greatly appreciated-I am learning so much on this site!  :)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 09:00:24 AM »
Sorry CD, I wasn't trying to contradict your advice or experience.   A foul smelling (different from normal, bad smelling poo) diarrhea in a little one is, in my experience, a serious symptom. 

Here are links to other threads concerning diarrhea and sickness in little ones.  When you read them, they are full of a lot of ideas, opinions, and links to other threads.  Hopefully, something will apply to your situation.

Help? Chronic diarrhea . . .

How to get sick kids better

Toddler with bad stomach issues

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 12:02:09 PM »
Thank you so much! No, I'm so glad you said something different because now I am thinking both my kids might be having bacterial issues. I am going to read those threads  :)

Offline Precious

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »
Carob powder in applesauce is great for helping with diarrhea--and it tastes good!!

I'd suggest 1 TBSP of carob powder in 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce.  Also make sure he drinks plenty of water.  Coconut water is especially good for rehydration.

For help with the search engine...go to the Google homepage, type in what you're looking for, and click on "advanced search" (in small blue letters on the right side of the search box).  Type "welltellme.com" into the bottom blank where it says, "Search within a site or domain."
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:27:51 PM by Precious »

Offline danielswife

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 04:30:10 AM »
thanks everyone!! I appreciate the advice. :)