Author Topic: 2 y.o. special needs son has reflux...don't want to use drugs. Suggestions?  (Read 2362 times)

Offline titterbee

• Learning
My son has 22q11.2 deletion syndrome and has had open heart surgery (3 wks old) and a Nissen Fundo at 2 months (They wrap the upper part of the stomach loosely around the esophagus to stop chronic reflux).  He has aspiration issues and drinks thickened liquids, but eats normally.  He is a very active little boy, very intelligent but with some speech delays so he can't tell me if he is having discomfort.  ENT wants to scope him while he is under for ear tubes on July 5th and if there is any indication he is refluxing they want him on antacid meds...which I really don't want unless nothing else works.  He had a fussy episode tonight at bed time where he kept signing for drink and crying.  I finally figured out what it was and gave him a few pinches of Baking Soda in his thickened water.  After a few sips he stopped crying so I'm now thinking there IS some reflux happening.  Any suggestions for natural antacid remedies besides baking soda in water? 

I give him daily doses of Barlean's brand Liquid Olive Leaf to boost his immune system and fight off UTI's...and I don't think that bothers him.  I also give him diluted Kombucha to drink...could that be something that would trigger reflux?? 

Offline Precious

• Adept
Reading through this thread might help.

Offline tynnille

• Adept
You need to increase his good bacteria. With all the surgeries and most likely a good amount of anti-biotics, he most likely has a lot of bad bacteria overgrowth. A lack of good bacteria causes a whole bunch of reflux/digestive type issues.  Reflux is very common today in babies and small children, but there is hope for you. Decrease processed foods. Increase nourishing foods that are full of good fats  (coconut oil, butter, olive oil) and quality ingredients. Add as much food that contains good bacteria as you can (i.e. yogurt, kefir, lacto-fermented veggies, raw milk, etc)
Hope this helps.
Tennille

Offline titterbee

• Learning
Thanks Tynnille......we have recently gone entirely into Whole Food production.  I make everything...just finished up some coconut mayo, coconut milk, lemon kefir and butter just this evening ;)  Thank you for giving such good advice on this forum.  Many ppl need to know this information.  It has done WONDERS for my family ;)

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
I wonder if slippery elm might not help with the acid issues.
I have read testimonies of this working.

Offline DHW

• Adept
Designs for Health has a good product that includes vitamin C, DGL, mastic gum, vitamin U, zinc-carnosine.  Gastro-Mend HP.

Offline titterbee

• Learning
I'll read up on Slippery Elm.

I am planning on trying Garden of Life Acid Defense....it is a mixture of digestive enzymes, probiotics and foods that curb acid production.  I trust the company so it's worth a try.