Author Topic: ISR "Infant Swimming Resource" AMAZING  (Read 11398 times)

Offline mama star

• Learning
  • Christmas 2007
    • Lonestar Sentiments
ISR "Infant Swimming Resource" AMAZING
« on: August 15, 2007, 10:31:12 AM »
http://www.childdrowningprevention.com/index.html

A friend of mine e-mailed this video to me and found it amazing! I was wonderfing if any of you had ever heard of this or something similiar? Have you tried it? Is it easy to just teach the child yourself? The lessons are a little out of my budget.

What do you think?
-Cassandra
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 10:33:13 AM by mama star »
I love my little stars...and the big one too! :)

Offline seeker

• Adept
Re: ISR "Infant Swimming Resource" AMAZING
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:36:57 PM »

A friend of mine e-mailed this video to me and found it amazing! I was wonderfing if any of you had ever heard of this or something similiar? Have you tried it? Is it easy to just teach the child yourself? The lessons are a little out of my budget.

What do you think?
-Cassandra

WOW! I am still feeling a little funny in my stomach after watching this video. It WAS incredible to actually see a toddler do that, but it was physically upsetting to me personally. I believe that the premise is an excellent idea, and could save an unbelievable amount of lives. It was just a bit much for the "mommy" in me to watch a video like that. I paused it a couple of times so that I could regroup, but I did watch it to the end. I knew that the ending was going to be fine, but I had to watch just to make sure!  ::)  It would be wonderful if a program like this was made available at a price that most people could afford.

Offline Kymdenise

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:45:09 PM »

What do you think?
-Cassandra

WOW! I am still feeling a little funny in my stomach after watching this video. It WAS incredible to actually see a toddler do that, but it was physically upsetting to me personally. I believe that the premise is an excellent idea, and could save an unbelievable amount of lives. It was just a bit much for the "mommy" in me to watch a video like that. I paused it a couple of times so that I could regroup, but I did watch it to the end. I knew that the ending was going to be fine, but I had to watch just to make sure!  ::)  It would be wonderful if a program like this was made available at a price that most people could afford.

I was freaked out too.. and I of course knew it was a controlled situation, but it's a good example. I was most impressed that a child fully clothed and obviously upset could still steady itself, float and cry. How do they teach these babies to overcome a natural tendency? Amazing. I wish I could do it, but on the other hand, I'm sure it can give parents a false sense of security... I realize you all know this, and I'm not saying this to any of you as something you havent thought of, but I read time and time again of stories where children are in fishing boats on little lakes, and think their children are within reach, or they'll have time to grab them if they fall overboard. Unfortunately, they don't realize how quickly they sink, let alone into murky water where you can't see them to retrieve them. Life jackets are essential. But in a case like in the example (these people I"m sure preach the same.. use all other precautions first..alarms, locks,etc.) some situations fall out of our hands.

It was a good lesson.. I wish it were more accessable.

Nickole

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 02:00:56 PM »
That sounds like a program that someone I knew put her daughter through, who was about 4.  I remember they put the child in the pool with shoes on, which it is HARD to keep afloat with shoes on.  And they did other things.  She liked it for her child, but I don't think we would.  And after reading Seeker's response to the video, I'm not watching it.  :o  I just don't like going through those kinds of emotions even if I know the end is alright.  No sappy movies for me!  So thanks for the warning Seeker!  ;)     

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 03:08:20 AM »
I had the same response!  I watched it last night and started crying.  But, I AM pregnant and I have a baby the same size as the one in the video.  :)  I had heard of this program, but I've never seen the video before.  It was pretty amazing.

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 06:27:31 PM »
I think it is an excellent idea if you have a pool at your home.  I would like to know how they teach it.  I am going to try it with my little guy at the pool or beach next time we go.  I found their foot placement interesting.   I don't think it was traumatic to watch, but rather a good reminder that everyone needs to be so very careful when you take your little ones around water- or even give them a bath. 

I remember saving a boy at a lake when I was only about 8 years old.  He was about 3 or 4, had a little raft he was playing with, drifted out just far enough to be over his head and then fell off.  His mom and dad were chatting with the lifeguard and never noticed until I brought him up to them and said "he was drowning" 

Never take your eyes of your kids if you know they cannot swim. 

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 10:30:30 PM »
We were at the beach today and I taught my 3 year old to float this way.  SO COOL!!  She could float and float and float.  Very neat.  I also worked with my 2 year old and I am sure he'll get it too if we go frequently enough. 

I highly recommend watching this video if you are going to go swimming- and start teaching your kids how to float this way. 

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:09:33 PM »
We were at the beach today and I taught my 3 year old to float this way.  SO COOL!!  She could float and float and float.  Very neat.  I also worked with my 2 year old and I am sure he'll get it too if we go frequently enough. 

I highly recommend watching this video if you are going to go swimming- and start teaching your kids how to float this way. 

How did you teach them to float? Was it the intro video you watched, or a different one? I must have missed it. I'm such a "do it myself to save a dime" kinda gal, that I'll figure it out myself instead of paying someone else to do it for me. That was my mindset as I was watching the video. But flopping on a birthday cake is a lot more trivial than flopping on drowning vs. not drowning ;). Since you've got it, what's the trick? I have a 4 ds and 2 dd, neither of which I can take my hands off of in a pool. It would be nice to know that they can help themselves a bit as well.
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline mama star

• Learning
  • Christmas 2007
    • Lonestar Sentiments
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 07:19:18 PM »
  I watched it last night and started crying. 
[/quot/]

When I first whatched it I teared up too but at first it was because I was just amazed that a small child (baby!) could do that. Then I started thinking about the overwhelming responsibility we have as parents to protect our children! How quickly things can get out of our hands if we look away for just a second!

I would love to learn how to do this someday but we don't have a pool and don't really do alot of swimming anyways. If we did though I would definatley look into it more. It is really quite amazing.
I love my little stars...and the big one too! :)

Offline Badgermom

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 03:34:24 AM »

I, too, would be interested in knowing how you did this.  Any tips for us?

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 03:59:50 AM »
Just a caution about infant swimming lessons. A college in our state has been teaching infant swimming for over 20 years. However, an infant knowing how to swim and float does not guarantee that child's safety. In some cases, the child is actually endangered by losing his/her natural caution/fear/respect for the water. The child can gain an artificial confidence around the water that causes him/her to explore far beyond his limited abilities. This coupled with some parents' false security (now that the child knows how to float/swim) and a resulting lack of supervision can lead to tragedy -- and has in too many sad cases.

I prefer the method I heard described once by a parent that purposefully allowed his child to wander while the parent hid out of view. The child's natural curiosity caused the toddler to fall into deep water. The parent waited for a sign of natural fear and THEN rescued the child, cultivating a healthy respect for the hazard. Of course, this was a very diligent parent that didn't allow little ones to wander out of view and took the time to later teach swimming and water safety when the child was old enough to comprehend the instruction and respond obediently.

This isn't saying that I'm against infant swimming lessons. It is to say that I do not think this skill assures the child is safe and that I wouldn't become casual around the water just because I knew an infant had this skill.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 04:42:30 AM »
I am personally TERRIFIED of the water. I cannot teach my children to swim, as I do not know how to either. I go in the water with them, and I hide my fear well. I have friends who do not know that I am scared of the water until I tell them. I do not want my kids to "inheirit" my fear.

I watched this video and was amazed! I had heard of teaching kids to swim when they were young, but never had seen this. Even though it is expensive, I would gladly pay that type of money to teach my children (and myself...will they teach adults too?) to swim so that I don't worry. I could not help my children if they were tobe drowning at all! I will be showing that video to hubby. We have tried community lessons but they have not worked (1 child is kind of fearful AT TIMES, but other 2 have no real fear) and half the time they are cancelled....they people will travel they say...we know someone who owns a hotel with a pool...hmm...my mind is spinning with ideas.
CJ

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 09:19:31 AM »
In some cases, the child is actually endangered by losing his/her natural caution/fear/respect for the water. The child can gain an artificial confidence around the water that causes him/her to explore far beyond his limited abilities.

I've been at the lake with a child like this, and it was absolutely terrifying!  I told dh when we got home that I am never going swimming with that child again!  He had absolutely no fear of consequences (drowning) and zero obedience.  Very scary when the water is already murky and hard to see in.  He was only 4 years old at the time.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
I had a friend whos son was 1 yrs old.He would run pedal to the medal straight into the lake...Fall...get picked up.. taken back just to do it again and again.He always came up smiling and kicking his legs in delight.He still loves water.BUT now knows the dangers and the rules ;)  ...His sister had to be talked into liking water... ::)

I think some kids just do not have a fear with water.

Em

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 10:12:34 AM »

I prefer the method I heard described once by a parent that purposefully allowed his child to wander while the parent hid out of view. The child's natural curiosity caused the toddler to fall into deep water. The parent waited for a sign of natural fear and THEN rescued the child, cultivating a healthy respect for the hazard. Of course, this was a very diligent parent that didn't allow little ones to wander out of view and took the time to later teach swimming and water safety when the child was old enough to comprehend the instruction and respond obediently.

Heh, I read about this method and tried it about seven times with my little guy.  He STILL would go jump in.  I had to resort to other methods of preventing him from drowning. ::)
He learned to swim this summer.  He absolultely loves the water.  He can be turning blue from cold and be asked if he wants to get out and get warm.  "No...must swim, must swim, must swim..."
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 04:57:19 PM »
I have a book I bought from our library book sale called :  Teaching an Infant to Swim by Virgina Hunt Newman. copywright 1983

It is a very simple book to read step by step instructions and  pictures.  She teaches babies-young children the basic beginer level of the Red Cross swimmers guide. The Red cross guidlines have changed but the skills she teaches are good water survival skills if a small child were to fall in  a pool,etc.

Basically, she says start them as young as possible but of course do not expect the same results from a baby as  2 year old.

These are the skills you teach:

Swim at least 15 feet
recover (come up toget a breath of air_
float on back at least ten seconds
jump into deep water
dive into deep water

I noticed that the baby in the video just "floated" and did not swim.

She says you teach them to swim before you progress to teach them to float on their back

You teach them that if they fall in the water they instinctivly come up swim, take breath as needed , and swim until you get to the edge of the pool.

of course if you were in a lake,etc. they would have life preservers on b/c it is not the situation (meaning they cant swim to safety)
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline gloria2deo

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »
Our town of 25,000 has a teacher who has used these methods for  50+ years.  I've taken my children to her every summer for 15 years now.  I've seen infants, toddlers, and children of all ages, (formerly) terrified adults, and severely handicapped children learn "survival floating" and swimming from M----.  They all go off the diving board and have one "lifesaving" day where they practice with clothes on.  Some kids take to it instantly, some scream for days, but all of them--and I mean ALL of them--have learned to turn themselves over into a floating position.  We do two week sessions, 4 (used to be 5) days a week, and every year I continue to be amazed!  I cannot tell you how many stories I've heard from parents who've said, "So and so fell into the pool and s/he floated there until (someone) pulled her out.  Thank you , M---!"  Please, if these lessons aren't available to you, find some way to teach yours to swim.