Author Topic: Pickles  (Read 4860 times)

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
Pickles
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:56:01 AM »
I made some pickles a few months ago following the instructions in Nourishing Traditions and using extra salt in place of whey. I kept the jars at room temperature two or three days, then transferred to the top shelf of the fridge (don't have a root cellar). I never saw bubbles like I normally see in fermentation, so I am wondering if it actually worked or not. It has been two or three months. We are on the last jar and they taste great. If they lasted this long does that mean that fermentation was successful?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Pickles
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 08:43:12 AM »
I made some pickles a few months ago following the instructions in Nourishing Traditions and using extra salt in place of whey. I kept the jars at room temperature two or three days, then transferred to the top shelf of the fridge (don't have a root cellar). I never saw bubbles like I normally see in fermentation, so I am wondering if it actually worked or not. It has been two or three months. We are on the last jar and they taste great. If they lasted this long does that mean that fermentation was successful?
  i would assume so.  i don't think they would last 3 months without refrigeration unless the preservation worked.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:32:13 AM »
Sorry for the ambiguity - actually they were refrigerated after the first two or three days at room temperature. That's why I am not sure if it worked. I need to make some more with some cucumbers I have and wanted to find out ahead of time.

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »
Hey HB - If you ferment the pickles, then open them to taste them (see if they're done), can you close them and then keep them in cold storage (ie the basement)?  I was a little nervous about that so put both jars in the fridge.  After you put them in storage (fridge or basement) do they stop bubbling?  Mine did, but they were bubbling pretty well b4 that.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »
Hey HB - If you ferment the pickles, then open them to taste them (see if they're done), can you close them and then keep them in cold storage (ie the basement)?  I was a little nervous about that so put both jars in the fridge.  After you put them in storage (fridge or basement) do they stop bubbling?  Mine did, but they were bubbling pretty well b4 that.
i wouldn't know.  never made pickles in my life.  i keep everything in the fridge unless it's canned (sealed).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »
I refrigerate after opening them, so I think you did well. Mine stop bubbling, for the most part, in cold storage. They can seep a little, so be prepared for that. Maybe one in ten of mine do, not many.

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 05:45:03 AM »
The fermented pickles at the farm here get stored in the basement.  They are never "canned", so they are still raw.  A very few of the jars ever get mold on top, most are completely fine, and are still wonderful a year later.  Once removed from the cold basement, they get refrigerated.