Author Topic: I Need Some Help Trying to Figure Out My Health  (Read 10137 times)

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
I Need Some Help Trying to Figure Out My Health
« on: April 30, 2011, 01:41:52 PM »
This is a lot of information, but I will try to fit it all in! It is really quite the mess!

When I was fourteen, I got really, really, skinny and was eating and drinking all the time. After probably six months of my mama trying to shove bacon down me, the whole family came down with the flu. I was sick enough that my mom took me to the doctor, who said that it was just a bad flu (she later said that she thought I was anorexic). The next day, I could not even walk, and at about 5'3", I was down to 80 pounds. Mom took me back to see a different doctor, who told her to stop talking and get me to the emergency room. They diagnosed me with type 1 diabetes and told me that it was not my fault. They didn't know why it happened, but there was nothing I could have done to stop it. I would have it for life until they figured out a cure. I could eat anything I wanted as long as I took insulin for it. For a week or two, I was slowly recovering, but then started getting sick to my stomach. I would be sick all night, eat some crackers and toast in the morning, and then start throwing up again sometime in the afternoon or evening. Occasionally I was well for a day or three, but this pattern went on for two months until a blood test and a biopsy confirmed that I also had celiac disease (also genetic, not my fault and for life). I immediately cut out all gluten, as did my mom and brothers when they discovered that they did not have celiac, but did have the gene for it. If I accidentally eat some, I am sick for a week. My naturopath told me that the diabetes was probably caused by the celiac disease.

I am now eighteen and happened to run into a natural doctor who is a type 1 diabetic but doesn't take insulin. We are both researching and trying to figure this out. I am exhausted and have poor focus and memory, and sometimes mild asthma. My mom and I both have symptoms of candida yeast overgrowth and metal poisoning. My mom and brothers all have somewhat high blood sugars, which have improved very little on a low carb diet. I cut out carbs and dairy two months ago, but started getting keytones so have started adding carbs back in - now I am at 45 carbs a day and still struggling with keytones. We have stopped using aluminum pans in the kitchen. My mom's metal poisoning we are attributing to her fillings leaking, but I only have ceramic fillings. We are on well water.

She is taking a variety of supplements and tinctures from the doctor. For various reasons I am on cinnamon (mostly ceylon), dandelion root, ginkgo, red raspberry leaf, licorice root, fresh lemon juice, raw garlic and ginger, just started gynema sylvestre, and am going to start poke root, or grape, pau d' arco, goji berries, bentonite clay and cat's claw. I eat my herbs plain or most commonly put them in a tea.

As long as I can remember, our family has eaten mostly organic foods. Nothing boxed, we don't go out to eat since there is nothing guaranteed gluten free in our small town. We eat mainly from our garden in the summer. We have always used whole grains and cooked everything from scratch. We used to use regular drugs for medicine, but I have switched our family over to almost 100% herbs in the past year.

I had all of the recommended vaccinations and antibiotics as a kid, which I am thinking might have caused this whole mess!

My doctor has done some testing and figured out that me pancreas is still producing insulin - about 80% of what it should be. Something is causing an autoimmune response when the insulin leaves the pancreas. My insulin receptors appear to have pulled back as well.

I have been researching like crazy, as has my doctor. Can anyone add any pieces to this puzzle?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: I Need Some Help Trying to Figure Out My Health
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 04:03:10 PM »
Sounds like some serious stuff going on. 
I had serious stuff going on with my health for years and tried just what you are doing now -- reading, researching, trying different things and different natural doctors.  When I reached a point with my health where nothing was helping and my chiro & naturopath didn't have a clue what to do next, a friend referred me to an MD who is also a Homeopathic physician.  He has a lot more available to him than the nat'path  did.  I was quickly diagnosed, treated with natural remedies, and feeling much better within a month or two.  I still have ongoing illness, but it is managed with natural treatments.

I would recommend that you  look online for a homeopath in your area, preferable one who is also an MD so there is access to that type of medical testing/treatment if needed. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 11:42:25 PM »
This is very interesting. My sister has wandered if something like this hasn't happened to her son and the Dr.'s here in in Australia have started checking c- peptide yearly as they have found that a lot of children are being misdiagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

I suggest trying to research into Mody diabetes. I wander also if a dermal screening would do you some good to help see what is going on inside. It might also help to get out some of those meds. you took before you went to herbs.

Have you heard of Dr. Bernstein? Here is a link to his forum. http://www.diabetes-book.com/index.shtml

There is a lady on the forum that is from here in Australia. She sent me a PM about her daughter. Her name on the board is Adi. She may be able to help you. Not sure. But if you have a look on there you might get some on those questions answered.

Also I have been told the genes for celiac and diabetes is the same. I have also been told that having candida can cause celiac and it can also cause diabetes. I have been told by the dermal screening lady that she can use the dermal screening to reverse celiac and that she doesn't really believe in allergies. I also have a son that showed anti bodies in a celiac test. We put him on strong pro-biotic and a gluten free diet for three months and tested again. It came back negative. We then let him eat gluten again for three months. It came back negative. I am going to test him again soon. But what I am saying is that through all my research and it has been a lot. It looks as if candida can cause celiac which in turn can cause diabetes.

The lady that does dermal screening said that she has talked to another Dr. that gave a lady iodine for her thyroid and it healed her type 2 diabetes.

I know that this is scattered, but I hope it can be some help to you.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
what about your fats? you haven't mentioned anything about your fat intake--type or amounts.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:40:01 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:55:18 AM »
I eat quite a bit of healthy fat - coconut oil and milk, hemp seed oil, olive oil and the fats naturally found in meats and vegetables. I used to eat way less, but still probably way more than the average person. We've never used margarine or any of that "low fat" garbage. I've always eaten quite a bit of butter, except for several times when I have gone completely off dairy for up to a few months. My fat intake has gone up drastically in the last eight months since we moved next to an organic dairy and especially in the last two since I have been on the low carb diet. It is the same with my mom and brothers.

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »
Ladyhen; I was using a homeopathic/MD doctor when I was first diagnosed with diabetes/celiac. She was the one who said that the diabetes came from the celiac, and she did the testing and found out that my mom and brothers had the gene for celiac. She did not seem to think that anything was reversible though.

Amandas5boys; Thanks for all the info! I think that you might have added another few pieces to the puzzle. Don't worry about it being scattered - what I have found in my research has been way more scattered than that! I went to Dr. Bernstein's website and it looks like there might be some very helpful information on there. I will have to do some exploring!

I still live at home and my dad (a command man) is getting irritated about all this. We are all getting worse and the house is a mess, his wife is exhausted and can't do things with him, and he is sick of eating meat and vegetables! He is not exactly a believer in natural medicine and rolls his eyes at my herbs. His pocketbook is suffering as well, between doctor bills and $10 a day spent just in nuts (I am not exaggerating. We buy in bulk, but teenage boys eat a lot). He is giving us till the end of the month to figure this out.

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention- the doctor is pretty sure Mom's got parasites as well.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:36:06 AM »
I eat quite a bit of healthy fat - coconut oil and milk, hemp seed oil, olive oil and the fats naturally found in meats and vegetables. I used to eat way less, but still probably way more than the average person. We've never used margarine or any of that "low fat" garbage. I've always eaten quite a bit of butter, except for several times when I have gone completely off dairy for up to a few months. My fat intake has gone up drastically in the last eight months since we moved next to an organic dairy and especially in the last two since I have been on the low carb diet. It is the same with my mom and brothers.
most of those are omega 6.  maybe you should take a look at this article.  it may prove insightful.

http://www.drkaslow.com/html/immune_restoration.html

i talked a good friend of mine who has diabetes into taking cod liver oil.  her diet was generally good, but her omega 3s were scant.  she said this supplement alone cut her need for insulin drastically and was well worth the recommendation.  

more on fats.

http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil/182.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/526-skinny-on-fats.html

here's an article on our blog about diabetes and natural blood sugar control.

http://bit.ly/bTbAs3

because of the symptoms you listed, i would suspect leaky gut as well.  take a look at this article for more info.

http://bit.ly/4jYP3q

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:39:11 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:51:05 AM »
I do take fish oil, but not much. I raised my dose yesterday.

I found the article on leaky gut to be particularly interesting. The doctor said yesterday that I appear to have mercury poisoning. I don't eat the two foods that I know can have a lot of it -  tuna and corn syrup. It appears as if I am just getting it from the air, which someone mentioned is not normal in a healthy body. Leaky gut could be the cause, and the mercury in turn could be causing the autoimmune response.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 08:40:46 AM »
I do take fish oil, but not much. I raised my dose yesterday.

I found the article on leaky gut to be particularly interesting. The doctor said yesterday that I appear to have mercury poisoning. I don't eat the two foods that I know can have a lot of it -  tuna and corn syrup. It appears as if I am just getting it from the air, which someone mentioned is not normal in a healthy body. Leaky gut could be the cause, and the mercury in turn could be causing the autoimmune response.
You might be interested in Bulk Herb Stores Detox+ or Dr. Szchulze Bowel Detox.  They are about the same thing and I've used both with great success.  Here's my story (or least part of it.)

http://bulkherbstore.blogspot.com/2009/11/dermographism-what-on-earth-is-that.html

Also be sure your fish oil is a good brand.  Some of the cheaper brands are contaminated with mercury as well.

http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil/238-cod-liver-oil-basics.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 05:35:49 AM »
I am up to 50 carbs a day and still having a lot of trouble with ketones. My blood sugar is normal. Can anyone offer more information on ketones from a natural point of view? Do they only occur when my body eats stored fats, or could they occur from the fats I eat each day?

I checked my fish oil and it is tested metal free.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 05:03:08 AM »
You said you're having trouble with ketones - why?  I believe they occur when your body is using ANY fats/proteins, stored or otherwise, as energy.

Ketones in your urine aren't dangerous, in and of themselves.   Ketones are a natural by-product of a totally normal fat-metabolizing process.

*Ketoacidosis* is dangerous.  That is a state that occurs when your blood sugars are soaring, and your body is not able to use them (because there's no insulin around) and is therefore using your body's fat and muscle to get energy. 

This wiki link explains it well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoacidosis

When I'm eating low-carb (I'm a type 1 also) I always have ketones.  I've had ketones in my pee for years now :)  And, all my kidney tests and such have always been normal.  I don't think you can eat low carb and NOT have ketones.  It's fine and normal.

Have you got your blood sugars normalized?  I wouldn't worry a stitch about ketones.  It'll save you money on ketone strips, too. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 05:29:17 AM »
Gigi, you are right, but if someone is diabetic or has blood sugar problems getting too many ketones can cause a state called ketoacidosis, but this is often confused with ketosis which is the process of burning fats.  knowing the difference is a good place to start.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 05:45:21 AM »

*Ketoacidosis* is dangerous.  That is a state that occurs when your blood sugars are soaring, and your body is not able to use them (because there's no insulin around) and is therefore using your body's fat and muscle to get energy.  

Gigi, you are right, but if someone is diabetic or has blood sugar problems getting too many ketones can cause a state called ketoacidosis, but this is often confused with ketosis which is the process of burning fats.  knowing the difference is a good place to start.

Exactly!   ;)

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »
I thought I would post an update for anyone who might be wondering where I went or dealing with a similar problem. I'm still alive and still working at this. I keep finding more and more information from reliable sources. My goal is to get off insulin - the doctors say that is impossible for a type 1 diabetic, but here and there I find someone who did indeed do so. I think that in most cases it is quite possible, it is just a matter of the right treatments for long enough, which will vary from person to person. Insulin is expensive and a pain to deal with, not to mention the fact that most insulin is now something called "genetically engineered human insulin," not the old "porcine insulin." Just the "genetically engineered" part of that scares me - I don't know what is meant by "human," but I really don't want it in my body! I am concerned about the effects insulin could have on my kids (don't have any yet). I have gotten rid of most of the candida, but not quite all, so I am still working on that. I am also taking various things to heal the lining of my gut and to stimulate the pancreas. I am still on 50ish carbs a day, at least 50% of my diet is raw and fermented foods, and lots of good fats. I have learned so much about health and nutrition while studying this, I am really excited to use my new knowledge when I start my own family! Anyway, I'm still trying to help my body heal and will post on here when I have something to tell!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 04:41:12 AM »
I thought I would post an update for anyone who might be wondering where I went or dealing with a similar problem. I'm still alive and still working at this. I keep finding more and more information from reliable sources. My goal is to get off insulin - the doctors say that is impossible for a type 1 diabetic, but here and there I find someone who did indeed do so. I think that in most cases it is quite possible, it is just a matter of the right treatments for long enough, which will vary from person to person. Insulin is expensive and a pain to deal with, not to mention the fact that most insulin is now something called "genetically engineered human insulin," not the old "porcine insulin." Just the "genetically engineered" part of that scares me - I don't know what is meant by "human," but I really don't want it in my body! I am concerned about the effects insulin could have on my kids (don't have any yet). I have gotten rid of most of the candida, but not quite all, so I am still working on that. I am also taking various things to heal the lining of my gut and to stimulate the pancreas. I am still on 50ish carbs a day, at least 50% of my diet is raw and fermented foods, and lots of good fats. I have learned so much about health and nutrition while studying this, I am really excited to use my new knowledge when I start my own family! Anyway, I'm still trying to help my body heal and will post on here when I have something to tell!
this is awesome.  keep us posted.  also don't forget to get the fats right.  a good friend cut her insulin intake in half just by taking a daily dosage of some good cod liver oil.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »
I posted this in the diabetes thread but thought it might be a help to you.

I had written this to someone on here and thought it might be helpful to others that are trying things out. I want to find that book about the fungus link now more than ever.
 We have been doing something called dermal screening. I think it might be called something else there. You might have a look into it. It screens the body to see what is in there that shouldn't be and what is not working properly. I will post something on it if we get good results. The lady that is doing it says that she has found heavy metals in his body especially in the pancreas along with a fungus that she says is caused by the metals. So now we are trying to get all those out.  If I were you I would look into the dermal screening. It goes along with homeopathic medicine.

When he was first diagnosed we went to do the dermal screening but the man was not very infromitave and so we thought he was a quack and it was witch craft. I have learned more about this in little bits through homeschooling and it seems that it is all working together.

you should learn how to do how downs with your son when his sugars are high. I am a boarder line diabetic and it has helped me tremndously when my sugars are high. It gets them down fast. I mean as soon as you do them.

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 07:52:35 AM »
Thanks! I'll look into it!

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 12:18:15 PM »
You can find how to do a how down here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsURicKB_G8

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 04:01:44 PM »
Well, three years after my first post I'm still pretty much doing the same thing. 50ish carbs a day, moderate amount of exercise, organic whole foods. I've tried so many things I just got burnt out and quit worrying about it. Now I'm planning on getting married and really, really, really want to get my health better beforehand! I did figure out that I have plenty of energy when I am regularly drinking raw milk. My numbers are better than they have been the last few years, but still crazy. I have horrible acne, worse than I did in my teens. My hair won't grow. I have done a liver cleanse and treated for candida several times, but I think I must still have it. At this point, I'm not even trying to get off insulin; I would be happy just to have my numbers under control.

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 02:06:55 PM »
Cimmaron, have you heard of the. Trim Healthy Mama book? I've heard many people have had lots good success with it and were even able to reverse their diabetes. Also, did you ever do a parasite cleanse or a heavy metal cleanse? I've read lack of hair growth can be parasites. I truly feel for all you are going thru and I hope you find more answers.
Congratulations on getting married!

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 09:15:46 PM »
Thank you! I'll look it up! Yes, I have done a parasite cleanse. Haven't really done a heavy metal cleanse though, so I'll work on that!