Author Topic: Primary Aldosteronism  (Read 2779 times)

Offline hudsonsinaf@hotmail.com

• Wide Eyed
Primary Aldosteronism
« on: October 11, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »
Hi all!  I tried searching for a topic on this, but was unable to see where it had been discussed, so I'm throwing it out there to glean from your experiences and expertise.

Apparently my adrenal glands are shot beyond belief.  The doctor says I have at least 6 things wrong with me, but the Primary Aldosteronism is the most critical, due to the effect it is having on my heart.  I'm 34 yo, with 6 young children (ages 10 down to 3.5 months), am breastfeeding my youngest, and am at serious risk of having a stroke and/or heart attack.  My body is producing too much aldosterone, which in turn is dropping my potassium while increasing my sodium and sky rocketing my blood pressure.  The doctors want to put me on blood pressure medicine, but obviously that just treats the symptom, not the issue. 

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Suggestions? 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Primary Aldosteronism
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 05:54:59 AM »
No experience, but here's what Google had to offer...

Aldosterone

Aldosterone, a hormone secreted by the outer layer of your adrenal glands, stimulates your kidneys to absorb more sodium and water while simultaneously releasing more potassium. Aldosterone secretion is increased by several mechanisms, including decreased blood flow to your kidneys, high serum potassium concentrations, increased acidity of your blood and falling blood pressure. In contrast, aldosterone secretion decreases as kidney blood flow increases, serum potassium levels fall, and blood volume increases. Serum sodium concentrations also affect aldosterone production. A study published in the April 1985 issue of “Endocrinology” demonstrated that increased serum sodium concentrations – a direct result of increased sodium consumption – decrease aldosterone secretion.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/523374-does-sodium-consumption-affect-aldosterone/#ixzz2hWSl9ZpT
from http://www.livestrong.com/article/523374-does-sodium-consumption-affect-aldosterone/

However, if sodium levels fall too low, or potassium levels climb too high, or blood volume or pressure falls, aldosterone secretion will be stimulated to correct and increase blood pressure.

Aldosterone also stimulates the secretion of another hormone, through a long chemical chain of events, which increases blood pressure by causing constriction of peripheral capillaries.

If aldosterone cannot be made or supplied, death will result fairly quickly. Without controls on sodium and potassium balance, the brain, nervous system, and heart cannot function, dehydration follows, and shock rapidly ensues. The only medically known and proven therapies include administration of aldosterone, salt and fluids.

from http://fixitwithherbs.blogspot.com/2010/10/adrenals-love-em-or-lose-em.html

Unrefined sea salt is healthy. The blood-pressure-raising effect of table salt can be due to its high content of sodium with not enough magnesium to balance it. This has a magnesium-lowering effect that can constrict the arteries and raise blood pressure. Real salt (of various kinds) contains plenty of magnesium and other important minerals, which is why it usually does not affect blood pressure in a negative way.[1]

Sodium is an essential nutrient required by the body for maintaining levels of fluids and for providing channels for nerve signaling. Some sodium is needed in your body to regulate fluids and blood pressure, and to keep muscles and nerves running smoothly.

Without appropriate amounts of sodium, your body may have a difficult time cooling down after intense exercise or activity. When the body is hot, you sweat. If you do not have enough sodium, your body may not sweat as much and you may then become overheated. This could result in a stroke or exhaustion as well as dehydration.

Sodium is an energy carrier. It is also responsible for sending messages from the brain to muscles through the nervous system so that muscles move on command. When you want to move your arm or contract any muscle in your body, your brain sends a message to a sodium molecule that passes it to a potassium molecule and then back to a sodium molecule etc., etc., until it gets to its final destination and the muscle contracts. This is known as the sodium-potassium ion exchange. Therefore, without sodium, you would never be able to move any part of your body.

Excess sodium (such as that obtained from dietary sources) is excreted in the urine.[2] Most of the sodium in the body (about 85%) is found in blood and lymph fluid. Sodium levels in the body are partly controlled by a hormone called aldosterone, which is made by the adrenal glands. Aldosterone levels determine whether the kidneys hold sodium in the body or pass it into the urine.
from http://drsircus.com/medicine/salt/real-salt-celtic-salt-and-himalayan-salt

I quite honestly have an extensive list of favorite things, so I will have to prune it a bit and share the very best of the best, those things I go to over and over. I would start with a pound bag of Celtic Sea Salt in my favorite things box. Yes, you read that right. Celtic Sea Salt has proven to be the very best thing I have in my arsenal of supplements. I take 1/2 teaspoon of Celtic Sea Salt at least two times a day (sometimes more) and I use generously to salt our food. If you have weak adrenals the minerals in the salt and the sodium feed your adrenals and thus also supports good levels of aldosterone. Almost every person with thyroid disease needs Celtic Sea Salt or a good quality grey sea salt. Anything white, even if called sea salt, is processed and thus lacks the benefits of the unprocessed sea salt. In looking back over this year I realized that the sea salt has been an immense help in resolving my heart palpitations (along with taking Cynomel (T3)).
from http://krisinsight.com/tag/celtic-sea-salt/

The adrenals aid the body in mineral balance through a mineral corticoid called aldosterone.  Aldosterone regulates fluid and electrolytes ( magnesium, potassium and,sodium chloride ) in the blood, in and between the cells of the body. As adrenal fatigue progresses, the production of aldosterone decreases.  This causes “salt-wasting”.  As the salt is excreted by the kidneys it flushes water with it leading to electrolyte imbalance and dehydration.  The body tries to compensate for the electrolyte imbalance by craving salt.  The chemical reactions caused by these imbalances cause numerous other health issues in the body.  The symptoms of adrenal fatigue and the accompanying dehydration can also be the symptoms of a host of other health problems including depression, cardiac insufficiency, behavior and memory problems, arthritis, infertility and many more chronic illnesses.

Those with adrenal fatigue should always add high quality sea salt such as Celtic Sea Salt  to their water. Table salt will not work in this case as it is highly refined and devoid of magnesium and trace minerals. Unless you have very high blood pressure or kidney disease, adding 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon to a glass of warm water first thing in the morning, at noon, and in the evening will help restore electrolyte balance while your adrenal glands heal and your aldosterone levels return to normal.   High quality sea salt contributes, not only to adrenal health but also in the alkalinity of the body.

{Find out more on the benefits of sea salt….}

Beware of soft drinks and electrolyte drinks such as Gatorade or Lucozade  as they are high in potassium and low in sodium which is the opposite of what someone with low cortisol needs. Commercial electrolyte drinks are designed for those who produce high cortisol when exercising, not for someone who produces little or no extra cortisol during exercise such as those with adrenal fatigue. You need to add ¼ to 1 teaspoon of celtic sea salt to a glass of water or eat something salty to maintain fluid/electrolyte balance.
  from http://thedetoxdiva.com/adrenal-fatigue-salt-cravings/

here's another health forum discussion on aldosterones.
http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1745710#i

hope this helps.

My favorite herb book!!