Author Topic: Seasonal allergies in 3 year old  (Read 3828 times)

Offline evie

• Learning
Seasonal allergies in 3 year old
« on: April 10, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »
My 3 year old has allergies I guess. I haven't taken him to the dr. His eyes are puffy and a little pussy. He is coughing and I don't know if it's related or not, but he does not seem to be hearing well at all. What do I do for these allergies? And do you think the hearing has anything to do with it or not?

Offline DHW

• Adept
Re: Seasonal allergies in 3 year old
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:52:20 AM »
I would guess yes, they are related.  Eye, ear, nose and throat usually are.  It sounds like he has a lot of inflammation in his eyes and ears and probably throat.   There are a lot of threads on allergies; those might be helpful to you.

Start irrigating his eyes with saline and using compresses on them.  I like to use small tea bags for eye compresses (do not re-use), but you can stick with plain saline compresses.  Do the irrigation and compresses frequently.  For more remedies, search for conjunctivitis.

You can check his ears to see if they are painful.  If you are sure that you are dealing with a ruptured eardrum, then you may put hydrogen peroxide 3% in his ear and let it sit for at least 5 minutes.  Drain and repeat on the other side.  For more remedies, search for ear infection.

Coughing responds well to eucalyptus.  Put some in a humidifier or in a pot on the stove.  Dilute some in oil and rub on his throat and chest.  Put a few drops on a cloth and have him inhale deeply as often as you can.  For more remedies, search for cough.

The search bar is at the top of the page near the WTM logo.

Offline evie

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »
How do you irragate his eyes in saline? And where do I find saline? What kind of tea bags? Today my 18 mo old and I both started with allergies. I've never had seasonal allergies before. I'm not sure what's going on. What am I doing wrong that we would get allergies? Is it because our immune system is not good enough? We eat pretty healthy.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 02:45:58 AM »
Buy a bottle of sterile saline solution at the drug store (or make it at home with 1 cup filtered water, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 baking soda).  There should be a little eye irrigator cup with the saline supplies.  Directions are with the cup on usage.

Or use your homemade solution, pour some into a clean, cupped palm and have him place that eye in the solution in blink. 

Or just gently pour or squirt the solution into the eye.

The tea bags are regular, small teabags from the grocery store - black tea.  You can use herbal teabags like chamomile and eyebright, too.

Weak adrenals (due to stress) can contribute to allergies.  Keep up the healthy diet and research the adrenal threads for more suggestions.  Oil of oregano is said to be very good at reducing seasonal allergies.