Remedies & Therapies > Food Allergies / Intolerance

Kid's cravings related to autism?

(1/1)

IowaDove:
I don't know if this has already been addressed, I couldn't find it anywhere, but could've missed it. My kids are not autistic, and are very intelligent.  But I've recently read Unraveling the Mystery of Autism by Karen Seroussi, and so I'm not sure if I should be concerned about a few things. First off, we have never done immunizations, and I don't think there's a single autistic person in either of our (my and husband's) families, but schizophrenia does run on my side of the family-my grandma, dad, sister and possibly brother all had/have issues with it (though my grandma was the only one officially diagnosed with it) There is some food sensitivity with my mom toward carbs and dairy, and I do a lot better staying off dairy, but my kids crave dairy, carbs, and bananas like crazy! We recently went on a dairy/gluten free diet for about a month and I reacted well to going off dairy (less mucous and sinus infections etc.) but was REALLY cranky when off of gluten for the entire month-it never got better and I didn't have any yeast die off or anything like that, but my husband did. When we slowly reintroduced some of those foods back into our diet, our kids went ballistic over them and haven't stopped eating since! (They were never very big eaters) My son especially would eat 5 bananas a day if we let him and our daughter acts like she hasn't eaten in days when given some sort of bread- it's a little disconcerting watching her wolf down a pancake... So is this ok? Should I be worried? We try to have a balanced diet and eat healthy. We don't do very much sugar, no soda, or eat out. My kids have no autistic behaviors, they are a joy to us, are highly intelligent and impress everyone who meets them. So any thoughts would be appreciated  :)

DHW:
Food cravings and eating excessive amounts of a food usually indicate an intolerance to that food.  You might consider pulling those items out of the diet.

The other possibility is a nutritional deficiency.  Bananas are high in potassium, but they are also very high in starch and sugar (feeds yeast).  Maybe substitute another high potassium/low-carb item like avocado for the bananas and see if that makes a difference.  www.whfoods.com is a good resource for nutritional content of whole foods.

Gluten can takes months to leave your system.  Crankiness during an elimination diet could be a symptom of detox from gluten.  If crankiness/mood swings/poor mood occurs when consuming gluten it signals a reaction to gluten (very common btw).

Have you read "Is This Your Child?" by Doris Rapp?

There is a ton of information about autism and allergies in this thread: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5954.0.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version