Author Topic: 3 y.o. with UTI treatment?  (Read 7219 times)

Offline natka58

• Wide Eyed
3 y.o. with UTI treatment?
« on: December 04, 2009, 09:02:14 AM »
Hello, my three year old has UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) and I would like not to give the antibiotics. Does anyone know of a natural way to treat it?
Thank you.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
Re: 3 y.o. with UTI treatment?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 09:36:39 AM »
Hello, my three year old has UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) and I would like not to give the antibiotics. Does anyone know of a natural way to treat it?
Thank you.

Hi natka58! So sorry to hear about your little one. Is it painful for her? I don't mess around and like to hit infections hard, especially when there is pain involved, so this is what I would do (adapted from a pediatric herbalist's book I own...

drink 2 quarts of water, herbal tea a daily
drink .5 liters of cranberry juice daily
garlic 3-4 times daily
avoid sugar
avoid food allergens (might want to investigate if UTI's are chronic)
if constipation is present, get bowels moving so there is no pressure on the bladder from behind
Vitamin C with bioflavanoids, 500 mg every 2 hours.
Vitamin A 25,000 IU daily
Beta-carotene (alfalfa, spirulina, any green food drink typically)
Zinc at 30 mg dialy
10 % arbutin Uva ursi (250-500mg 3 times daily), 8% alkaloid, berberine Goldenseal (250-500mg 3 times daily), and Marshmallow or corn silk (important to soothe and heal inflamed tissues especially important when using the above antimicrobials to avoid further irritation of the  sensitive tissues.)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 10:00:24 AM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 05:31:04 AM »
If she does not want to drink the cranberry juice I have given my little
ones the concentrate in the softgel that has vit c and bioflavanoids.  Just puncture a hole in it and squeeze out the juice inside.  I give 2 caps 3x a day.  They feel better by evening.  It is the best relief I have found.
HTH

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 01:03:56 PM »
Thank you.

I would do a garlic compresses over her bladder area and get some D-Mannose caps. 

Here's a thread about treating a bladder infection w/o antibiotics

D-mannose is a sugar found in trace amounts in cranberries.  When you take the caps, it's just pure D-mannose, and they are much more effective than trying to drink that much cranberry juice.  The sugar is not metabolized by the body, but the bacteria LOVE them and will bond and be flushed out in the urine with the D-mannose.   

Cranberry products (unsweetened/concentrates, etc) have never worked for me, personally.  My MIL, who is diabetic and has chronic bladder infections has had wonderful success with the D-Mannose. 
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 02:07:04 AM »
We freeze cranberry juice (the good stuff, w/o sugar) and have several ice cubes in a glass of water several times a day, and we eat blueberries to fight UTI's. Frozen berries are fine, especially the small ones, as they thaw out quickly.

Offline Rosie

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 02:24:20 PM »
I have a 3 year old with a terrible bladder infection today. I'm afraid it's gone to her kidneys as she is having all-over stomach pain and a low grade fever. The weird thing is... she's had no symptoms until this afternoon. And now, boom! She does struggle with UTI's frequently, but we can usually fight them off with the normal Cranberry/increased fluids/garlic tea. Does anyone know what the risk of not taking her in and getting her on antibiotics? (oh I even hate to say it!). Is waiting until the morning ok? She won't eat anything, but is drinking lots of garlic tea, cranberry and vitamin C. She seems to go in spurts or pretty extreme pain, and then being ok, and then back to pain. Is that normal? Any thoughts/opinions would be helpful tonight. Thanks!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »
My DD had this happen when she was 6 and ended up in the hospital with septicemia.  Rather then do antibiotics though, you can put her on 1 tsp. of d-mannose powder 4x's a day for 7 days.  BUT, you cannot wait.  Once it hits the kidneys it will go quickly into the blood.  So if you don't have any on hand then I would start the abx. but get some tomorrow at the HFS and start it immediately in lieu of the abxs. 

And then you need to address why she keeps getting UTI's.  Ours ended up being food allergies.
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.