Author Topic: responsive breastfeeding with discipline  (Read 3470 times)

Offline everheavenward

• Wide Eyed
responsive breastfeeding with discipline
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
Hello there I have recently finished reading Jenny Silliman's Breastfeeding and Fertility book, and I have enjoyed it very much, though I had some concerns on when and how to discipline a baby after he is so used to having constant responsive and comfort sucking?  :-\

Eg;
going from bed with mum and dad to own room at age two
(should he get spanked for crying when all he has known is mum and dad's bed)
how to teach 'it's ok to spend time alone' if he has always been in a sling
when do we put baby on ground for play time?
how do we know baby wont be clingy to mum when he gets to age 2?
how will baby get to know dad well?
when baby understands 'NO' should we say it when we know he is crying for 'no reason' just to 'play up' or should we always attend to cry.

I see the side of positives having baby with me at all time and feeding, and sucking for comfort and skin to skin being great etc, I just didn't see her bring up discipline and when to make sure you are not just 'giving him his own way' I have also read 'Growing kids God's way' and dont fully agree with this way either. How can I find a good balance so my child will be Godly and disciplined Lord willing and not selfish simply because I showed him love.

Thank you Debbie Pearl would love to hear from you!!!

concerned lady  ???

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
Re: responsive breastfeeding with discipline
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 04:39:41 PM »
I haven't read this book, but I have done quite a bit of attachment parenting things. Balance is the key here! I can't answer all your questions, but I can answer a few.
~ I have never had a child get too clingy from spending lots of time in a sling or carrier. I like to put them down on the floor and interact with them until they get bored then we switch activities. I let Daddy hold them sometimes or, if your husband is willing, he can wear the baby. Daddies like to play and snuggle with baby, so let them do it often!  My husband has worn my Ergo since it is not a girly color. Once they start to roll over on the floor they LOVE to be on the floor. Mine will wiggle to get down and play! Once they discover the world they won't be spending much time in a sling!
~Close contact and security as a young baby makes for a secure and independent toddler. They shouldn't be clingy by that age. ( some kids may be a bit shy in public depending on their personalities, though. I have 2 extroverts and one introvert)

~Babies rarely cry for no reason. Sometimes we think it isn't a good reason, but crying is their only way to communicate. ;) THere is almost always something wrong -even if it is just they are lonely and want to snuggle. Older Babies/toddlers may cry for a "no" reason and they should be trained out of it.
I can't help you with the bed issue, because it is something I struggle with. I moved my first out at 8 months and I don't think he even noticed I moved him out of the room! My second was 19 months ( I was pregnant) and it was a struggle. Teaching her sleep through the night was the most difficult part of this. I has her in a crib next to the bed and once she was sleeping mostly through the night there I moved her to a room next to our with first. Baby #3 is only 7 months now.
It really isn't difficult to ease them from dependence to independence. They are usually strongly motivated themselves!

Offline everheavenward

• Wide Eyed
Re: responsive breastfeeding with discipline
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »
 ;D hey thanx heaps for that, helped me to understand a bit more. :)

cheers