Author Topic: children w/ tics and sensitivity to sound  (Read 2627 times)

Offline lana tousignant

• Wide Eyed
children w/ tics and sensitivity to sound
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:07:43 PM »
my child is 4. he has had this nervous tic thing when he gets excited. he flaps his hands at the wrist and makes noises almost as if he was imatating an elephant and he has sensitive hearing to loud noises such as a static tv or if i holler. he is very intellegent and is right on is his pre school class. im am curious as to why he does this and if i should be worried? he has been doing this for about 2 years and people look at him funny when he does it but noone has ever said anything. is it just a tic that he does when hes excited? seems to be but just want to ask if theres something to it... please help me... thank you

Offline DHW

• Adept
Re: children w/ tics and sensitivity to sound
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:18:44 PM »
Actually you are describing behaviors that are not unusual with autistic children.  The hand flapping and oral noises are called stimming.   Essentially it is his attempt to handle information/sensory overload.  You might want to have him evaluated.  You said these behaviors started when he was about 2 years old - was he vaccinated prior to that? 

There are several threads on WTM where moms discuss various approaches that they use to help heal their children, and some have made great progress.  Their stories are very encouraging.  Type "autism" or "autistic" in the search bar for a list of threads.

Offline lana tousignant

• Wide Eyed
Re: children w/ tics and sensitivity to sound
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:36:53 PM »
thank you!!! i had this thought about autism as i does run in the family but besides the tics there is no other problems that i can see. again thank you i will be researching