Author Topic: Pertussis Only Vaccination?  (Read 19878 times)

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
Pertussis Only Vaccination?
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:03:42 AM »
My kids are exempted from vaccines, they are in public school, we live in TX.  School nurse has notified me that there is a pertussis (whooping cough) outbreak in a neighboring school district.  She said if the outbreak comes here, then my daughter could not attend school until the outbreak passes or unless she get the DTaP or Tdap vaccine.  (yes, I believe the law allows the school to do this)

Questions:

- Is there a pertussis only vaccine?
- Any reservations about the dtap vaccine?  I looked up the ingredients and some of them are toxic.  I don't think my daughter has had any previous reactions, but you can't be 100% certain, you know? 
- My daughter has already had her shots in elementary, so if she got this shot, it would be a booster shot.  Are boosters a big deal?   Are they anything to worry about?

Just would like some advice & opinions about what you would do if you were in my shoes.  Thanks.
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 04:52:55 PM »
Khix,

Since they only state she has to be vaccinated, you can vaccinate homeopathically.  To do so they use the diseased tissue and make homeopathic pellets of it.  There are zero other chemicals in the remedy.  I would highly recommend you go to the h-pathy forum at h-pathy.com and ask this exact same question with the same info you provided here.  They can give you some good guidance.  My homeopathic doctor is in San Diego and is currently dealing with HUGE pertussis outbreaks there.  I think she in particular would be able to give you guidance.  She may also be able to direct you to someone near where you live that could vaccinate homeopathically if you so desire. 

hope this helps,

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »
I just wanted to recommend The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears for a good objective approach to vaccines. Dr. Sears is a medically-respected pediatrician, but he admits that doctors only really study the diseases in medical school and then they just hope the vaccine researchers and drug companies have done their jobs when they recommend the vaccines. So he did 13 years of research and presents the facts and whether he thinks it's worth getting. He tells you which brands have what ingredients so you can avoid the ones with dangerous ingredients, etc. He is not anti-vaccine, which I like. I got it from the library and plan to buy it, it's that good.  

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »
My kids have had whooping cough...and they older 2 that got it first have been vaccinated.   ::)
Yes, there is a booster dose.  Here's the handout on it.  http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-td-tdap.pdf  and here are the package inserts:
http://www.immunize.org/packageinserts/pi_tdap.asp  you'll get formaldehyde, aluminum, and yummy...beef heart infusion!

Try the homeopathic thing...that is a whole lot safer.

I wrote a series of articles on my blog about whooping cough, and the natural remedies that worked for us: http://www.gwens-nest.com/natural-remedies/tag/pertussis

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 06:35:16 AM »
I'm seconding Gwen's blog posts on whooping cough. She has good stuff in there! I also never knew that you could homeopathically vaccinate. Thanks Patti! I'll definitely check that out!

Meagan

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 04:30:19 AM »
Thanks, ladies

I'll look into the homeopathic shot, but I doubt medicaid would cover it, and money is tight.  Any idea how much such a shot would cost?

Has anyone had any experience with needing to pull their kid(s) out of school during an outbreak?
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 08:15:34 PM »

Homeopathic remedies are extremely cheap.  $15 from most places.  It is not a shot.  It's just a couple of little pellets you suck on.   The part you'd have to research is finding a homeopath in your area that provides them and then would be willing to provide written statement to the school district that vaccination has taken place.
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 09:24:15 PM »
Heads up about tetanus & DPT shots. I personally know of someone that was just in the ER & got a tetanus shot- turns out that it WASN'T just tetanus or even tetanus/diphtheria- it was a DPT shot which means that it included pertussis or whooping couch which is the main shot that many are trying to avoid. Not sure if they give the same to an adult since the person involved was a teen but I thought I would post a heads up to everyone.    

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 01:19:26 PM »
Heads up about tetanus & DPT shots. I personally know of someone that was just in the ER & got a tetanus shot- turns out that it WASN'T just tetanus or even tetanus/diphtheria- it was a DPT shot which means that it included pertussis or whooping couch which is the main shot that many are trying to avoid. Not sure if they give the same to an adult since the person involved was a teen but I thought I would post a heads up to everyone.    

They probably are giving the DTP to everyone now, they are trying to get new mothers to get their booster before leaving the hospital. You know, "to protect the baby". :)
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline Shellbell

• Wide Eyed
Re: Pertussis Only Vaccination?
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 07:32:23 AM »
Mykidsmom (or anyone that could me in touch with her), I have been reading posts on the internet about your healing journey with your family.  I have had CFS for 4 years now.  It was brought on by 7 rounds of broadspectrum antibiotics (mainly cipro) over a year's time.  I have seen many docs in and out of my state.  Because of your expriences, I have made an appointment with Dr. Dramov.  I live in San Diego and will be flying up in June for my first visit.

Because of the antibiotics, I have had horrible issues with my digestion, which is only getting worse.  I also have nervous system damage from the antibiotics, also stemming from gut damage that needs to be repaired. 

I already know from previous testing that I have overgrowth of 2 or 3 bacteria, no yeast, no parasites.  My food allergies are increasing over time. I had food allergie testing last summer, but wasn't give a lot of direction from my doctor. 

I recently started a methylation protocol and my gut is getting worse.  I am hoping that once the gut begins to heal, the methylation protocol will work better. 

I am also interested in getting the name of the homeopathic doc you are seeing in San Diego.  I am a believer in homeopathy and would like to find a good practitioner.  I also like that Dr, Dramov supports you trying homeopathy.

Also, with the new state laws requiring school age children having to get the pertussis vaccine, I am looking for an alternative for my 16 year old daughter.  We won't allow her to have the vaccine as she started having non-provoked seizures this last year.  Even so, her doctor won't excuse her from getting the vaccine.  So we are looking for another doctor. 

Thank you so much for your time.  I am glad to hear things are better for your son and family.

Shellbell 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 07:08:41 PM »

Shellbell,

I can think of no better doctor then Dramov for testing and figuring out what is going on in your gut.  He brought us a long way with my son in terms of at least trying to arrest any further damage.  I believe, with everything in me, that my son's gut was literally dying.  I guess I didn't realize just how bad off he was until we started the homeopathy.  If that makes any sense at all.

The homeopath we use in San Diego is April Bowen.  Her email is aprilbowen1@cox.net.  She is FANTASTIC.  Were it not for her, we would still be trying to heal our boy.  While I am a firm believer that Dramov taught us how to eat, what was wrong, and what supplements were good to take, I actually do not believe that using naturopathy will not heal anyone quickly.  I do know of people who've said they've seen healing over a period of 5-7yrs but that's too long in my mind.  Our son is almost 100% healed in 8 months using the h-pathy.  BUT, she doesn't do testing, etc.  And I love that Dramov gets all of the info for what is actually wrong with a person.  We found that very helpful along our homeopathic journey.  Dramov took my son's ITP case against his better judgment.  But he was trying to save us from horrible hematologists that were threatening to take our son.  He is a godly man that I will be forever indebted to.  You can't go wrong visiting with him.  I think he can get you started on a good path.  But definitely the homeopathy is worth it. 

As for the pertussis vaccine.  You'd have to ask April.  There are ways around that and she will know how.  Personally, if my doctor wouldn't do it, I'd change doctors.  But she actually knows several homeopathic MD's in CA that she may be able to suggest getting an exemption from.  Or she may be able to share how she did it with her kids.  There are ways to deal with vaccines homeopathically, I'm just not totally up on it.  I've learned so much since what I wrote above and my understanding of h-pathy and vaccines is totally different now.

patti

Offline Shellbell

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 02:48:10 PM »
Hi Patti,

I can't thank you enough.  I have been saying my prayers over the last couple of days that you would see my post. 

During this time, I made contact with another patient of Dr. Dramov's.  She has been taking her daughter to see him since January.  We're going to meet each other while I am there.  I usually won't make an appointment with a doctor unless I have had a recommendation from someone.  Your posts were so convincing, I broke my rule!  I am looking forward to seeing him in June.  I really feel like I need to get to the bottom of things, and it sounds like he will be able to help.

As far as the homeopathy, this gal sounds great too.  I will definitely be giving her a call when I get back from Oregon and when I know what my results are like from testing. 

Like you said about your son, I feel my digestion is dying as well.  My last exposure to an antibiotic was ~4 years ago when this all started, and I can't seem to get well from the damage they caused.  It only seems to be getting worse over time. 

I went through all the allergy testing, etc. last summer, but I didn't feel my doctor was comprehensive enough.  Plus, he never put me on anything to treat the infection I have going on in my gut. 

As far as my daughter goes, I spoke with a vaccine friendly doctor in San Diego on Friday and she supports our decision about us not wanting her vaccinated.  She said that she should never have another vaccine again, as it will more than likely cause permanent nuerological damage leading to life long seizure activity. 

Anyway, I am soooo glad to hear that your son is doing very well.  This is great news.  I hope the rest of your family is doing the same.  If you don't mind, I would love to contact you via email sometime in case I have any other questions.  I am not exactly sure how to do that here.  If not, I completely understand.  I just thank you from the bottom of my heart for returning this message. 

God Bless,
Shelly

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:09:27 AM »
Homeopathy appeals to many...

As a courtesy to the member who started this thread and those participating in the conversation and to keep subjects more organized and easier to find, please attempt to stay on topic as much as possible.

If the conversation triggers a new subject of interest, please search the forum for a more appropriate thread for the discussion.  When one cannot be found, start a new one.

If you'd like to have a more personal conversation that would otherwise derail the topic, please take advantage of your ability as a forum member to send personal messages.

Thanks.  ;D

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SongGirl

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27:26 AM »
Sorry, I'm new here and I didn't realize it would constitute a different discussion/thread. Thanks for moving my comment.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 12:38:30 PM »
Sorry, I'm new here and I didn't realize it would constitute a different discussion/thread. Thanks for moving my comment.

no problem. 

If you're not sure if a question has been asked before, try using the search bar at the top of the home page or the advanced search function in the right hand column.

If you find the thread related to your topic but the answer to your question is not already in that thread, please do not start another thread.  Instead, post a reply in the existing thread.  This will make it much easier for the next person to benefit both from your question and the answers received.

For more information on searching for topics, refer to the following link.

How do I know if a question has already been asked? [Search Tips/Tricks]

If you are new to the forum or if you are unfamiliar with posting, profile changes and other navigation techniques, you should read this thread first.

Welcome to WellTellMe: Getting Started

Thanks

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DrMcNallyND

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 04:53:50 AM »
I wanted to make a clarification regarding the "homeopathic pertussis vaccinations".  These homeopathic preparations should NOT be referred to as vaccines.  A traditional vaccine creates antibodies, so that the next time we are exposed to the particular germ our body can effectively destroy it.  The pertussis homeopathic preparation has never been studied to see if it creates antibodies.  Therefore, we cannot label it as a vaccine.  To my knowledge a homeopathic preparation has never produced antibodies.  This is not an anti-homeopathy remark as I am a holistic doctor.  My intent is to just clarify some of the technical information.         

Also, schools will not accept a "homeopathic vaccine" in place of a traditional vaccine.     

My suggestion to anyone with questions regarding vaccines is to buy "The Vaccine Book"  by Dr. Sears.  Its a fantastic book.  I'm saying that both as a parent & a doctor. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 05:25:21 AM »

You are correct.  On every count.  Typically a nosode of pertussis would be used either  a) aa a preventative during an active outbreak or b) treatment during an active infection.  While they cannot be used to produce antibodies, they can be used as prenvention/treatment during active cases.  It's possible a school might accept someone using this method during an active outbreak.  It would depend on that school systems policies.  I would imagine it would be a case by case basis with something like that - and a tough case to get accepted at that.