Author Topic: Small 'sparks' in eyes?  (Read 8502 times)

Offline spacemonkey15

• Learning
Small 'sparks' in eyes?
« on: January 02, 2011, 10:52:40 PM »
Since November of last year I've been seeing these little bright sparks randomly. It doesn't matter what I'm looking at they just appear sometimes only one sometimes two or three but never more and only for a few seconds and they just fade. I read that when you see a shower of sparks to get to a doctor fast but should I when it's only happening off and on?  I also have those dark floater things in my eyes as well they've gotten more noticeable since at least October last year when I really paid attention to them after reading about floaters and sparks. (I'm sure this is not paranoia. :P)

Has this happened to anyone else? I just want to be sure now if I should go to a doctor or not or if there's something I could be doing about them.

Thanks!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Small 'sparks' in eyes?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 04:07:40 AM »
My husband has had "eye floaters" for quite some time now. They come and go, and were diagnosed as cataracts. He's had them since he was a teenager, and are the sole reason he has glasses. His body doesn't properly absorb calcium, so they form build up in his eyes in the form of cataracts.
We've tried natural things with no success, so he needs surgery on his eye lenses.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:41:23 AM »
"sparks" or other visual oddities involving flashing light or swirly vision are also part of a "classic migraine".

The blood vessels in the old noggin are constricting, blocking sufficient blood flow to your vision/speech/other nerve areas and can result in some weird stuff (but not necessarily).  Then, the vessels suddenly realize the error of their ways and open up - fast & wide.  This results in a headache of epic proportions.

I've dealt with these a lot, so I figured I'd mention it.  The flashes can be anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes before you'd have an aching head, so you may not connect the two at first blush.

HTH

Offline spacemonkey15

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:14:32 PM »
That's interesting but that's not it. I haven't had a headache in months. :\  thanks though!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:38:17 PM »
ocular migraines don't always involve pain, but do involve sparks...
so you may want to look into that a little more to rule it out!

Some people have sparks before a regular migraine, like Gigi described.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 02:06:51 PM »
Flashing can indicate retina detachment, which can result in vision loss if not corrected soon enough. I just saw my own eye doctor today, because of increased floaters. He warned me to come in immediately if I noticed flashing or sparks of white.