Author Topic: Infant - Pain While Urinating  (Read 3612 times)

Offline tynnille

• Adept
Infant - Pain While Urinating
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:30:18 AM »
My friend had a baby 5 weeks ago and noticed that he cannot pee while sitting up. He will be screaming “his head off” then she has to lay him down, he then stops screaming and pees, but then screams again another few seconds.

He simply cannot pee without being laid down flat first. He also has a herniated belly button. They have had ultrasounds and other such tests done, but, of course, the doctors have no answers.

Does anyone have any advice/experience with this.

Offline Precious

• Adept
Re: Infant - Pain While Urinating
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:52:17 AM »
I don't have any personal experience with exactly what you are describing, but I know that marshmallow root is very good for urinary problems.  Here is some info on it.  WTM also has a thread about marshmallow here.

Also, the kellymom breastfeeding site says that marshmallow may help increase milk supply when taken with fenugreek, so it appears safe to take it while breastfeeding.  Kellymom suggest up to 4 capsules, 3 times a day.
Side effects:    

* There have been extremely rare reports of allergic reactions.
    * Diabetics should be mindful of the sugar concentration of Marshmallow syrup

Marshmallow appears to be a nourishing herb, not a galactagogue. However, at least one mom who I know of has seen better results using a combination of fenugreek/marshmallow rather than fenugreek alone. Can be taken in combination with blessed thistle, alfalfa, and fenugreek.

I gave marshmallow to my 3 y/o when she had a bad cough.  Although she was fully potty-trained, she had recently started wetting her panties a teeny bit each day.  This completely cleared up after taking the marshmallow.  Nice side effect.  :)

Offline momof6boys

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:21 AM »
My husband is a family physician.  I mentioned this forum to him and he said it sounds just like a genetic defect which I think he called a post-urethral valve.  Do you know if the doctors have checked for this possibility?  He said the best bet is to get the baby to a pediatric urologist.  I hope this helps some.

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 06:02:30 PM »
Hi, I am not sure if this is relevant any more but when our son was 4 months old he came down with a very high fever (105) which we thought odd for being only 4 months old. Finally after a trip to University of Michigan a pediatric urologist discovered that our son had a blockage in his post-urethral valve which caused hydronifrosis (sp). At UofM they went in via catheter and opened the blockage. Praise God! He is 11 months old today and doing very well. HTH. Kim