Author Topic: Help! 2 year ingested uncured homemade lye soap  (Read 10329 times)

Offline paradisemamma

  • Adept
  • Posts: 78
Help! 2 year ingested uncured homemade lye soap
« on: December 20, 2010, 04:51:06 AM »
Our 2 year old took a bite of lye soap while it was still soft.  She spit it out and we are giving her water to drink. Is there anythingelse we can do to counter the effects of the lye? She is hesitant to drink the water but has drunk 2oz. 

Offline SC

  • Guru
  • Posts: 2139
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Re: Help! 2 year ingested uncured homemade lye soap
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 05:58:30 AM »
We keep vinegar on hand to neutralize lye splashes. Ingestion of lye can be life threatening. Touch your tongue to the soap and see if it zaps or burns your tongue. If it burns, be aggressive in your response, check her mouth for sores, and consider visiting the ER.

Some steps I take regarding soap making is to ban children and pets from the area and keep curing soap well out of the reach of little ones.

Hope that helps & hope your little one is okay!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Gigi

  • Master
  • Posts: 795
Re: Help! 2 year ingested uncured homemade lye soap
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 06:24:43 AM »
Ditto, ditto, ditto this wise advise!

Thankfully soap is so nasty she's not likely to do that again.

Hopefully you've been able to move your soap to a safer locale, far away from the little ones hands.  Like, Antarctica, maybe.  Just kidding.

Did you do the zap test?  Did it give you a shock?  Does she have any sores in her mouth?

I will pray for her safety.


We keep vinegar on hand to neutralize lye splashes. Ingestion of lye can be life threatening. Touch your tongue to the soap and see if it zaps or burns your tongue. If it burns, be aggressive in your response, check her mouth for sores, and consider visiting the ER.

Some steps I take regarding soap making is to ban children and pets from the area and keep curing soap well out of the reach of little ones.

Hope that helps & hope your little one is okay!

Offline paradisemamma

  • Adept
  • Posts: 78
Re: Help! 2 year ingested uncured homemade lye soap
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 07:00:14 AM »
The soap did not "zap" or burn when we tested it.  There is nothing that resembles a burn in her mouth.  This is the first batch of soap we've made and are learning much. Thank you for your responses. and input.   I am still wondering if there are any foods/drinks etc that we should encourage/or discourage to counteract any level of lye she may have gotten.

Offline Roehrmomma

  • Master
  • Posts: 1189
    • Polished cornerstones
Re: Help! 2 year ingested uncured homemade lye soap
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 11:31:03 AM »
Vinegar counter acts lye. And neutralizes it. Always keep it ready to go when making soap.
Em

Offline nana

  • Wide Eyed
  • Posts: 3
Re: Help! 2 year ingested uncured homemade lye soap
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 07:29:02 PM »
I think making her drink the water or giving her an enema is the best thing you can do and I don’t think that it will lead to anything serious – after all it’s just soap!! The worse scenario will be tummy upset for a day or two till the soap is completely out of her system!!

Offline Sewbusy

  • Adept
  • Posts: 139
Re: Help! 2 year ingested uncured homemade lye soap
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 05:40:38 PM »
I would like to hear how she is. I make soap and as was previously suggested my little ones are far away while making it and I keep it way out of reach. BUT in the event this should happen i would like info under my hat so to speak. I just remembered a friend years ago talking about her 2 year old getting eating some lye soap that was several YEARS old. She said it left burns in her mouth (must have been STRONG stuff!)  I'll keep the vinegar in mind! (and on hand!)

Offline Roehrmomma

  • Master
  • Posts: 1189
    • Polished cornerstones
Re: Help! 2 year ingested uncured homemade lye soap
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 06:01:04 AM »
I just remembered a friend years ago talking about her 2 year old getting eating some lye soap that was several YEARS old. She said it left burns in her mouth (must have been STRONG stuff!)  I'll keep the vinegar in mind! (and on hand!)

  Unless the lye in the soap was WAY more than needed. I can't see how that is possible. Unless she was allergic to a scent or something in the soap. ?
   My dd got into the soap before it was tracing. She tasted it. I tried to get her to drink some ACV but she refused. I had to hold her over the tub and dump it in her mouth. Never showed a sign of reaction.
   I know a 2 yr old that touched a lye water jar to her lips and they ballooned. They put on ACV and did a few more things but I cant remember what now.  It took a bit to get the swelling in the lips down. I think it was worse for her since it was straight lye to the lips (really sensitive area and no oil to buffer them.)
    ALWAYS have ACV (apple cider vinegar) on hand in a bowl with a rag when making soap. It counter acts the lye to stop further damage.
  ~Em

Offline paradisemamma

  • Adept
  • Posts: 78
Re: Help! 2 year ingested uncured homemade lye soap
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 04:49:29 PM »
 Our DD is doing well.  :)  Thank you for the helpful info. If   :-\ we make it again  we will be more informed. I so appreciate the info about the acv to help treat  direct exposure. I also am interested in any additional precaution/treatment ideas for lye as the "what if's" can happen......... and being a little bit more prepared is a good thing ;).