Author Topic: Low carb slows metabolism??  (Read 5939 times)

Offline bboytim

• Learning
Low carb slows metabolism??
« on: December 11, 2010, 08:29:15 AM »
This is from the guy I have been reading - 180degreehealth. He has lots of studies and research (not his own - he sites them on his site) to back this info up.... This is from one of his blog post.

It's no secret that reducing carbohydrates in your diet to an extreme level slows down the metabolism.  It does this by lowering production and/or synthesis of the active thyroid hormone - the one that REALLY counts, T3 - triiodothyronine. 

So, he also says this will go WAY beyond what the mainstream says, but I am pretty used to that. I was just wondering - we know now that the low-fat thing was a big mistake on their part - how do we know the low-carb thing is not also? They had lots of "studies" to prove low fat, just like they do low carb. This guy was a low carb guy for awhile and claims it lowered his body temp (which translates into a lower metablisom)...
He has lots of interesting ideas - overfeeding (he says lower calories also = lower metabolism and that after an inital weight gain, the body will realize it is not starving anymore and drop the weight), doing as little exercise as possible for awhile while your metabolism reves up...etc..

Any thoughts on this??

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Low carb slows metabolism??
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 05:33:09 PM »
In general I agree with the idea that low carb is another misguided avenue to health. There may be a time and place for short term low carbing.

Overall I think balance is the best. Aim for your calories to be divided evenly between the three major "groups". 1/3 GOOD fats, 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs. Make sure those carbs are from whole foods, and if you have insulin issues stay away from the low glycemic carbs like sugar, grains, and starches.

Offline growinginHim

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:13:07 PM »
He has lots of interesting ideas - overfeeding (he says lower calories also = lower metabolism and that after an inital weight gain, the body will realize it is not starving anymore and drop the weight), doing as little exercise as possible for awhile while your metabolism reves up...etc..

Any thoughts on this??

I have not done any research on this, but a couple of years ago I remember reading an article my dad had cut out about calorie restriction increasing life span in animals.  It showed a bunch of really impressive graphs.  Just a minute, let me see if I can find anything out...  After a google search, I found several articles with the same general info.  It even appears that there is a Calorie Restriction Society (http://www.crsociety.org/) out there, which has one of the graphs I remember seeing in the article about effect on calorie restriction on lifespan.  Anyhow, like I said, I am no expert, but I personally would research the issue a bit more before I made any firm conclusions.  HTH!

~Rachel

Offline bboytim

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »
Thanks to both of you. I have also seen the calorie restriction folks. I am really wondering if indeed, God did make us all different after all..  :)
I have a friend swearing to me by low fat and I know I go nutty eating low fat – the only fats I have in my diet are olive oil, nuts, seeds and coconut oil – so only good fats. She says I should cut them all out – it works for her, but I don’t think it will for me.
This weight loss has been a long hard road and I am trying to find the answer. Nothing works and I have tried it all. And I have heard that
A)   I am lying about the amount of calories I take in (usually around 1300 no matter if preg or nursing)
B)   B) I am not trying hard enough on “such and such” program ( I am a type A that goes all out no matter what I am doing)
C)   I am just destined to have this extra weight (that keeps going up..)

In all honesty I am starting to lean towards the people (my midwife and 2 naturopaths) that have told me I don’t eat enough and my body is in fat storage mode and will not move out of it until I eat more. I don’t think I want to overeat, but am trying to focus on getting more food in. hard for a girl that was totally taught calories in calories out. I recently read “Good calories Bad calories” and he says (with medical back up) that the precision to which we would have to eat calorie wise (meaning counting our calories) is like a peanut a day. Meaning, if we ate an extra peanut a day over what we needed, it would be stored as fat.. .it is hard to explain in writing - I found the book at the library though, if anyone is interested in reading it…

Offline bboytim

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 07:05:24 PM »
Found this website interesting - here is an excerpt:

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/land_of_hunza.htm

The energy and endurance of the Hunzakuts can probably be credited as much to what they don't eat as what they do eat. First of all, they don't eat a great deal of anything. The United States Department of Agriculture estimates that the average daily food intake for Americans of all ages amounts to 3,300 calories, with 100 grams of protein, 157 grams of fat and 380 grams of carbohydrates, In contrast, studies by Pakistani doctors show that adult males of Hunza consume a little more than 1.900 calories daily, with only 50 grams of protein, 36 grams of fat, and 354 grams of carbohydrates. Both the protein and fat are largely of vegetable origin (Dr. Alexander Leaf, National Geographic, January, 1973).

That amounts to just half the protein , one-third the fat, but about the same amount of carbohydrates that we Americans eat. Of course, the carbohydrate that the Hunzakuts eat is undefined or complex carbohydrate found in fruits, vegetables and grains, while we Americans largely eat our carbohydrates in the form of nutrition less white sugar and refined flour.

Needless to say, the Hunzakuts eat no processed food. Everything is as fresh as it can possibly be, and in its original unsalted state. The only "processing" consists of drying some fresh fruits in the the sun, and making butter and cheese out of milk. No chemicals or artificial fertilizers are used in their gardens. In fact, it is against the law of Hunza to spray gardens with pesticides. Renee Taylor, in her book, Hunza Health Secrets( Prentice-Hall 1964) says that the Mir, or ruler of Hunza, was recently instructed by Pakistani authorities to spray the orchards of Hunza with pesticide, to protect them from an expected invasion of insects. But the Hunzas would have none of it. They refused to use the toxic pesticide, and instead sprayed their trees with a mixture of water and ashes, which adequately protected the trees without poisoning the fruit and the entire environment. In a word, the Hunzas eat as they live -organically.

Offline growinginHim

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »
In all honesty I am starting to lean towards the people (my midwife and 2 naturopaths) that have told me I don’t eat enough and my body is in fat storage mode and will not move out of it until I eat more. I don’t think I want to overeat, but am trying to focus on getting more food in.

From personal experiences, I have noticed this too.  There are many times when I try to loose weight and therefor limit my food consumption, only to go on a vacation for a week.  While on vacation I typically break my diet and enjoy the different foods that particular vacation spot has to offer.  In more than one instance, I have come back weighing LESS than when I left.  I know this is the theory behind a couple of different diet plans (I am blanking on names at the moment).  These diets generally have you eat a TON of food in a very limited time every so often.  HTH!

~Rachel

Offline goingforten

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 02:45:56 PM »
I've been doing GAPS diet for a while and my metabalism has slowed down to the point where I'm always cold.I tried taking extra coconut oil and red pepper but it didnt help much.Any suggestions on what can do to speed it back up again? I also can't lose wieght anymore even with all the excercise im doing.I had been losing steadily so its been dissapointing.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »
Goingforten check out this thread, esp the info SC talks about in the 1st post of the thread: Iodine: Sources, Inhibitors, Symptoms of Deficiency

Likely low thyroid is a problem even if your Dr says that your test results are 'normal'. Check out Dr. Brownstein's web site. www.drbrownstein.com

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline goingforten

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 10:27:03 AM »
thanks herbalmom. I actually had to go off the diet and resume eating carbs and sugar. It's been over a week and I'm back to feeling normal. I don't know if it's coincidence or not but I'm way not as short tempered as I've been for the last couple weeks.I feel almost like a different person. My weight didn't go up even with me eating a lot more carbs and sugar. This has been one change that's easy to adjust to.  ;D 

Offline Hudson

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 10:22:51 PM »
Always count the calories in your meals and make sure you don’t eat more than you need to maintain or lose weight. If your net calorie consumption  including those you burn when working out  is higher than your daily requirements, you will gain weight even if you work out.