Author Topic: Scared to try more food/more fat for weight loss & is this Biblical?  (Read 5573 times)

Offline bboytim

• Learning
I am reading right now about eating more to lose this weight. I have been reading from a website called 180degreehealth (warning - he can be vulgur at times) and he recommends overfeeding to  lose weight. He has a lot of claims - one of them being your body will gain weight in the beginning, but will begin to shed after it hits a "set" point and is no longer in starvation mode. I have been told many times (and am being told again by my midwife this pregancy) that I must eat more to  lose weight. "Typical" day for me is around 1300 calories and in my reading of "Good Calories/ Bad Calories" that is less than studies with starvation diets being 1500 calories a day. I am scared to death to eat more, but also wonder about this overfeeding being Biblical? He recommends it for 30 full days and then says you will just naturally want to cut back as your body realizes you are no longer in famine/starvation mode.
We have already been eating whole foods - whole wheat bread with fresh ground wheat, raw fruits and veggies, nuts, seeds, etc..
I can look in my pantry right now and the packaged food includes - OG pasta sauce (with no sweetener), OG olives, OG fire roasted tomatoes, and almond butter. Everything else is a nut, seed, dried fruit, polenta, rice, etc.. We have switched over to grass fed beef (after being high raw for a LONG time) and all we have is grass fed beef, venision, our home raised chickens, and some wild caught salmon as our meat. I have been eating this way for 5 years now and continue to gain weight - try I am having my 5th baby in 6 years coming April - but I would have thought that my weight would have at least once went back to pre-pregnancy. I breastfed until they wean (but have only had one go past a year breastfeeding - I have lost my milk all the other times). I have tried low fat, high fat, all raw, high raw vegetarian, and have recently been doing no grains. NOTHING takes off this weight. I started at 160 at the beginning of my 1st pregnancy 6 years ago, but I have ALOT of muscle and wore a size 8 at that time. Each pregnancy has resulted in weight gain, but I do not lost it after baby. I was 200 at the end of 4th pregnancy and 215 at the beginning of this pregnancy (5th in 6 years). During my post partum between these two pregnancies I have been seeing a personal trainer, did the Dr Schultz 30 day cleanse, juiced, walked and ate well - and did not lose a pound (but actually put on 15). I am not talking about little weight gain here either - a pound or 3 over a few years  - I am talking about putting on 15-20 pounds at the drop of a hat.
So - my question for those of you that have been following a whole food or high fat or even eat a lot of food type lifestyle - has anyone actually lost weight doing this? Even an inital weight gain would be ok with me, as long as it started coming off. I cannot "afford" a 20 pound weight gain though just to "try" something out. I am so scared to start eating more food.
I also have reactive hypoglycemia that I am battling with - so I know that makes it harder to lose weight.
Any help would be greatly appreciated and I am really praying for a good response and lots of help - I have been praying that the Lord just tell me what He wants me to do and help my not worry over it.

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
Re: Scared to try more food/more fat for weight loss & is this Biblical?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:14:01 AM »
Have you tried the Carbohydrate addict's diet?  You can find a ton of info, if you do a search under that title.  I gain weight easily as well - am exclusively breastfeeding right now, and can still easily gain weight on a low calorie diet, low fat diet...

CAD makes a huge difference in how I feel...  I can lose weight easily, and feel "strong".  You would want to be careful to get enough variety in your evening meal, but think it might help you to try it -- especially since you have such high quality meats, nuts, etc available to you...
Jaque
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline bboytim

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 08:23:11 AM »
I have looked into that. The Guy at 180degreehealth recommends a HIGH carb diet and says you will damage your metablism with a low carb diet. He says he knows it is against "main stream" advice, but has lots of studies to back this up -
Low-carbers? Well, don’t even get me started with that. They’ve done a fantastic job at
showing that insulin resistance and rising insulin levels are a key biomarker for virtually all
degenerative diseases. I’ll give them that. Their belief that carbohydrate ingestion causes that is
one of the most easily-refuted hypotheses on earth. Traditional cultures eating very high
carbohydrate diets had phenomenally low blood sugar and insulin levels – far lower than anyone
on a low-carb diet, which is probably why those cultures had no heart disease, diabetes, obesity,
and so on.

Offline growinginHim

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:20:51 PM »
Low-carbers? Well, don’t even get me started with that. They’ve done a fantastic job at
showing that insulin resistance and rising insulin levels are a key biomarker for virtually all
degenerative diseases. I’ll give them that. Their belief that carbohydrate ingestion causes that is
one of the most easily-refuted hypotheses on earth. Traditional cultures eating very high
carbohydrate diets had phenomenally low blood sugar and insulin levels – far lower than anyone
on a low-carb diet, which is probably why those cultures had no heart disease, diabetes, obesity,
and so on.

Bboytim,

I guess I have been indoctrinated a little too much by conventional medicine, but I thought insulin was released by the body in response to ingestion of food, particularly carbohydrates.  Am I confused?    ???

~Rachel

Offline bboytim

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »
That particular quote was from the 180 degree health blog I was reading. I guess I did not make it clear enough that it was a "quote"  :)

That is actually what I am kind of asking – this guy has a lot of research to back up his statements. He sites lots of other cultures where their carb intake is high (whole food carbs – potatoes, corn, millet, wheat, etc..) and their instances of diabetes and blood sugar issues are none existent. He himself has done test on himself – taking his blood sugar and eating a lot of whole food carbs and taking blood sugar. He claims it is not the carbs that give us blood sugar issues, but refined carbs and we need to get them TOTALLY out of our diet. He personally overloads on carbs and says it is the healthiest way to eat (everyone of course has their healthiest way to eat…)..

Offline bboytim

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 07:00:52 PM »
I just found this online also..

The energy and endurance of the Hunzakuts can probably be credited as much to what they don't eat as what they do eat. First of all, they don't eat a great deal of anything. The United States Department of Agriculture estimates that the average daily food intake for Americans of all ages amounts to 3,300 calories, with 100 grams of protein, 157 grams of fat and 380 grams of carbohydrates, In contrast, studies by Pakistani doctors show that adult males of Hunza consume a little more than 1.900 calories daily, with only 50 grams of protein, 36 grams of fat, and 354 grams of carbohydrates. Both the protein and fat are largely of vegetable origin (Dr. Alexander Leaf, National Geographic, January, 1973).

That amounts to just half the protein , one-third the fat, but about the same amount of carbohydrates that we Americans eat. Of course, the carbohydrate that the Hunzakuts eat is undefined or complex carbohydrate found in fruits, vegetables and grains, while we Americans largely eat our carbohydrates in the form of nutrition less white sugar and refined flour.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 06:09:59 AM »
I think that was a great post.  Eating more is not the only way to break out of starvation mode.  Eating every 2 hours works, too.  Also, many of the foods in your pantry, while healthy, are in the carb family and (especially with blood sugar issues) that can cause weight gain, lethargy and other problems.  Peas, beans, corn, rice, nuts, seeds, grains, etc. are all carbs.  Each has a place in a healthy diet, but it should be a very small portion of the diet, outweighed by healthy lean meats and fruits and most of all, by vegetables.  Veggies are the key.  Every time you substitute vegetables for carbs, you are taking a step toward success.  Of course, this is just my opinion, but I have cycled through a 35-lb weight fluctuation several times by switching on or off this way of eating, and my energy levels are always better when I'm thin and low-carb.  Plus, I have always had a sweet tooth, so I try to sub fruits for sweets.