Remedies & Therapies > Food Allergies / Intolerance

Recipe for dairy-free hot chocolate mix

(1/1)

CottageMama:
I'm a breastfeeding mama with a sweet baby who is severely allergic to milk...  SO I'm off milk products for a while.  I'm SO craving hot chocolate... any one have a good recipe for a dairy free hot cocoa mix?  Thanks! 

ladyhen:

--- Quote from: CottageMama on November 06, 2010, 05:08:23 AM ---I'm a breastfeeding mama with a sweet baby who is severely allergic to milk...  SO I'm off milk products for a while.  I'm SO craving hot chocolate... any one have a good recipe for a dairy free hot cocoa mix?  Thanks! 

--- End quote ---

You could make hot chocolate (from scratch) using almond milk or rice milk in place of milk.   The cravings for dairy are Very Strong and last for at least a month, so that may be why you are craving a source of dairy.
I would suggest that you be careful about using high allergen foods like chocolate if you have a baby inclined to allergies, though.  You may want to consider using carob. 

hth 

thus_I_fight:
If your baby is prone to allergies, you might also want to avoid the almond milk, and stick with rice milk.  Our daughter is allergic to dairy, and I use rice milk to make hot cocoa for her during the winter.  For a different flavor, you could also sub coconut milk for part of the rice milk.  I also like to add a touch of flavored extracts, such as orange or peppermint, to my hot cocoa.

mattcan:
Coconut milk makes a delicious, creamy hot chocolate, but it does taste like both chocolate and coconuts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version