Author Topic: Recipe for dairy-free hot chocolate mix  (Read 4332 times)

Offline CottageMama

• Learning
  • Mama of 4 littles
    • Homemaker's Cottage
Recipe for dairy-free hot chocolate mix
« on: November 06, 2010, 05:08:23 AM »
I'm a breastfeeding mama with a sweet baby who is severely allergic to milk...  SO I'm off milk products for a while.  I'm SO craving hot chocolate... any one have a good recipe for a dairy free hot cocoa mix?  Thanks! 
Cottage Mama

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Recipe for dairy-free hot chocolate mix
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:09:23 AM »
I'm a breastfeeding mama with a sweet baby who is severely allergic to milk...  SO I'm off milk products for a while.  I'm SO craving hot chocolate... any one have a good recipe for a dairy free hot cocoa mix?  Thanks! 

You could make hot chocolate (from scratch) using almond milk or rice milk in place of milk.   The cravings for dairy are Very Strong and last for at least a month, so that may be why you are craving a source of dairy.
I would suggest that you be careful about using high allergen foods like chocolate if you have a baby inclined to allergies, though.  You may want to consider using carob. 

hth 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 02:49:49 PM »
If your baby is prone to allergies, you might also want to avoid the almond milk, and stick with rice milk.  Our daughter is allergic to dairy, and I use rice milk to make hot cocoa for her during the winter.  For a different flavor, you could also sub coconut milk for part of the rice milk.  I also like to add a touch of flavored extracts, such as orange or peppermint, to my hot cocoa.
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline mattcan

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »
Coconut milk makes a delicious, creamy hot chocolate, but it does taste like both chocolate and coconuts.
May we all find answers to our health questions, and reach the best level of health we're capable of.