Author Topic: healthy salt substitutes  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Currlygirrly

• Currlygirrly
  • Learning
healthy salt substitutes
« on: November 04, 2010, 09:04:59 AM »
My ND wants me off salt competely. I need help making my foods savory without it. Any ideas?

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
Re: healthy salt substitutes
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »
Why off salt? Celtic sea salts are very good for you!

Offline Currlygirrly

• Currlygirrly
  • Learning
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 03:27:17 AM »
Thyroid issues

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 05:23:44 AM »
A good place to find some herb blends and sauces to try is Trader Joe's, if they have a store anywhere near you.   There is a store locator on their site;  www.traderjoes.com
It's also a good place to find pasta, rices, olive oil, coffee, and other good groceries. 

Try pepper blends, salt-free chili seasoning, curry powder, Italian blend, Chinese 5 spice, Greek seasoning, and other blends.  You may need to give yourself a bit of time to get used to the change.   Ginger is also a great spice to try, as it can reduce inflammation (like in thyroid  ;)). 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »
My ND wants me off salt competely. I need help making my foods savory without it. Any ideas?

I thought about you tonight while I was putting garlic and rosemary all over and inside the whole chicken I roasted for dinner.   ;D  Garlic really kicks up the taste AND it's good for you.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 09:20:27 AM »
Bragg's Salt-Free Herb Sprinkles is REALLY good! It tastes better than Mrs. Dash
http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-24-herbs-spices-sprinkle-seasoning.html

Offline Currlygirrly

• Currlygirrly
  • Learning
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 04:54:45 AM »
Thanks guys! I would definately use garlic except I'm "intolorant". I will try braggs  seasoning for sure! Thanks again!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:31:36 AM »
celery seed, onion powder (or onions) and peppers of all colors work well in combo or alone
  My favorite herb book!!