Author Topic: Painful Post-Partum Intercourse  (Read 5154 times)

Offline onebusymom

• Wide Eyed
Painful Post-Partum Intercourse
« on: October 28, 2010, 03:28:53 AM »
I am due with my fifth child in approximately 8 weeks. I was wanting to gather some info and advice on how to help heal the vaginal and perineal area after giving birth. Each and every child birth has caused intercourse to be very painful to me for several months afterwards (extreme stinging and burning). Store-bought lubricants make it worse. Has anyone used Intimate Solutions Restore to help repair this delicate area? Any other ideas on how to not have to endure this for months? Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 03:38:21 AM by onebusymom »

Offline herbs girl

• Master
Re: Painful Post-Partum Intercourse
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 04:17:28 AM »
I have used Restore for other reasons, but a basic herbal oil for thos parts would be very good and could only help.

Here is a few more

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/postpartum-recovery/new-mama-bottom-spray.html

http://www.motherlove.com/product/1911-Sitz-Bath-Spray.html?Screen=PROD&Product_code=1911

Shonda Parker in her book The Naturally Healthy pregnancy

Recomends PeriClens by Intitmite Solutions for the first 10 days following birth. PeriClens can be found on her website.

Lavender  was shown to be effective in relieving perineal discomfort following childbirth when mom u sed them in thier bath for 10 days following birth.

Offline RunAmokFarm

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • Naturally-reared, moderately-sized Aussie puppies!
    • RunAmok Farm * Moderately-sized Australian Shepherds
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 04:29:07 AM »
I haven't had much for pain down there after childbirth, but the store-bought products cause me the same discomfort.  I agree that using herbs would likely help, as would taking Vitamin E orally, and topically.  (Take larger doses of the Vitamin E AFTER you have had your baby, not before.)

Also, to make "relations" more comfortable, have you ever tried coconut oil??  It smells pleasant, works very nicely, and has never caused any reactions for me - whereas the other stuff always causes stinging/burning...

WARNING
They do say to never use oils with cond*ms - and I am betting that would include coconut oil.  In spite of that, we have used CO for years and have never had a problem (using Troj*n cond*ms) but shortly after our last baby, we did use another brand which did NOT hold up.  <gasp!>  Of course, I don't know if it was the CO that caused the cond*m to fail... but considering the warnings about oil, it made me wonder... for a couple weeks, it made me wonder!!  <grin>
Jaque
NR Australian Shepherds & SARF consultations
www.runamokfarm.com
Custom Pyrography (woodburning)
www.jaquemchenry.com

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 01:46:56 AM »
Aloe vera is another option.  It's expensive, but the most natural feeling.  :-[ (I can't believe I'm sharing that!)

Offline motherhen7

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »
There is a natural lubricant based on kiwifruit extract, that is very good for sensitive people.  Down here in Australia and New Zealand it is called "Sylk".  It is very, very good and natural feeling.

Also, vegetable glycerine is another option, it is in most of the lubricant brands, but their additives/preservatives maybe what cause stinging in some people. 

If you use Aloe Vera Gel, get one without preservatives, or with a preservative that you know you are not sensitive for the same reason.

The sitz bath is also excellent.  Comfrey salve should comfort and heal too.  There is a good thread on sitz baths here on WTM.  I made some up the other day.  Waiting for number 7 to arrive any moment :D

Also, try and be relaxed as possible, take your time with DH, make sure you are fully ready.  If Dh can gently bring you to *rgasm, it should really help before intercourse.  If you are fearful of the pain, it will cause more pain.  So lots of lube too.  But wait to try and get your own lube happening first, that is the best indicator of you being ready.

Hope that helps.

Motherhen6 ( almost7)

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 05:42:02 AM »
I second the coconut oil.

wendy