Author Topic: EEG Neurotherapy for autism and other neurological disorders  (Read 6319 times)

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
EEG Neurotherapy for autism and other neurological disorders
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:49:29 AM »
I haven't been here in a while, but I wanted to post and tell you about a new therapy I've found for our son with Asperger's syndrome.

I just started him on something called 'EEG Neurotherapy'.  It's pretty high tech, and tailored to him.

This therapy uses some sort of EEG machine.  They attach electrodes to his head (this doesn't hurt, and doesn't leave any glue behind).  They then somehow determine which frequency works best with him, and start the therapy.

he sits back in a comfortable recliner, and watches a game or video.  Somehow, the electrical impulses in his brain control the game.  Last night, at his first therapy, he flew a rocket ship.  Anytime that he gets stressed, or loses focus, the game shuts down.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
Re: EEG Neurotherapy for autism and other neurological disorders
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 09:01:04 AM »
This therapy is supposed to help his left/right brain connection.

It also helps his brain waves to get into better balance. We have 4 types of brain waves, described by Greek letters.  Alpha, Theta, and 2 others I don't remember.  These waves control different stages of activity.  The Alpha wave controls the high alert phase, the lowest one controls REM sleep, and the other 2 are in between.

Autisic/asperger's children use the high alert phase way to much.  That's why they don't cope with stress well, and melt down so often.  This therapy is supposed to bring that wave back into balance.  They'll still get angry, but decide that they don't need to react so strongly. 

We started him yesterday.  We're already, even after 1 session seeing better self control.  I'll keep ya'll posted on how it works!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 03:45:28 PM »
Awesome Skelliott!

My Dad has been having these treatments.  He's had really serious interpersonal issues his whole life.  He's more the ecclectic/creative genius type, and I never in a million years would have thought that he'd be diagnosed "on the spectrum", but apparently he's got an a-typical Asperger syndrome.  So he's been doing counseling, and also neurotherapy. 

The place he's going did a brain analysis, where they measure the electrical output of the different areas of the brain.  Some of his areas were extremely stressed ("on fire") all the time, and others were way under functioning.  Also, the areas weren't communicating well with each other...they weren't crossing over from one side to the other. 

Which looking back, this diagnosis makes PERFECT sense. Before, he'd continually re-hash situations mentally, and would constantly talk about himself.  He also seemed very unstable as one minute, he'd be discussing a situation logically, and the next, he'd hopeless and casting blame about the same situation.

I hadn't talked with him for a long time, and when he called me a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't believe the change in him.

He's had 7 treatments, and is showing great progress.  His current levels are coming into the normal range, and he is so much more focused and not lost in his own head as much now.  The balancing out doesn't affect his intelligence, but gives him more focus and clarity, it seems. 

Neurotherapy is also utilized by people in high stress jobs to help them have peak brain performance.
No drugs, chemicals or electrical currents are used.  The system just rewards the brain for the desired outcome (calming or focusing) by a visual 'game' like an airplane that flies.  If you lose focus or get really hyper, it stops.

Pretty neat stuff!
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:55:34 AM »
Oh, I meant to say 'thanks' to hi_itsgwen.  She's the one who told me about it.

Thank you!   ;D

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:28:25 AM »
♥ Sure Skelliott!   :-*
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »
Do you have any recommended sources of information about this? I wonder how we can find out if it's available in our area.
Thanks
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 07:05:41 AM »
I just googled 'eeg neurotherapy', and then my area, and it just popped up. 

hi_itsgwen has a low-cost resource in TN, she could probably link you to.  I believe this lady does phone consultations.

So far, after 2 treatments, my boy has been handling stress better.  He did have a meltdown yesterday, but it was much shorter, and I was able to talk him out of it.  He is also more upbeat, and told me he was reading people better.  he realized, at the age of 14, that when someone rolls their eyes, or looks away that means to stop talking about something.  He really didn't understand that before.   :)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 11:23:53 AM »
I believe that you'd need to be on site for the neurotherapy, but the place my Dad is going is called the Autism Solution Center in Cordova TN (a suburb of Memphis). 
The website is not in good shape, but you can find contact info there.

I would also probably just use a search engine with your city/state.  :)

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
I was able to watch part of his therapy session last Wednesday.  I could actually see the brain wave lines on the screen.  His alpha wave was way above the other waves.  No wonder he has a hard time controlling stress.  It's like he is in constant panic mode.  All the time.  So he has to constantly work at keeping himself calm.

We could see what happened when we walked in the door.  The wave shot up, even from that sound.  Autisitic/asperger's children have so much to overcome.   >:(

He's been keeping himself calmer over the last week.  I'll keep updating, so ya'll can see if it's something you're interested in trying for your kids.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 03:03:09 PM »
Thank you Skelliott!  I am very interested in following his progress, as I've been praying for you guys, and I am considering this for my boy as well. ♥

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 05:51:24 PM »
He has now had 5 treatments.  He's not under as much stress, since we pulled him out of school, so I'm not sure if this is right or not.  But, he seems to be calmer.  He's quieter when he talks, and doesn't yell as much.

His old reaction to any stress was to get very loud, very quickly.  But, lately, he's not loud as much.  He's way calmer when he talks to his brother.  And when his friend  spends the night, he gets way more involved in the action, instead of sitting by himself, and doing his own thing.  It's like activity doesn't overstimulate him as much as it used to.

I'm interested to see if this keeps up, or if I'm just imagining it.  I so hope it continues...

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 12:47:18 PM »
That is awesome Skelliott!  Have they mentioned 'cross over' with the brainwaves?

Looking back on the way my Dad communicated, his brain was very segmented.  He would either be logical, emotional, etc. and he would just mull and 'chew his cud' over issues because he couldn't gather his thoughts on things.  It came across as being almost a multiple personality thing, but it made more sense when he told me that his brainwaves weren't crossing over.

I know there's a lot of diversity in autism symptoms...that may not relate to your sons issues at all, but I'm wondering if they've mentioned this to you or not.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 01:39:48 PM »
Yes, absolutely.  Crossover is one of the things we're working on.  I think for people with the asperger's diagnosis, it's pretty universal.  I'll bet your dad and my boy are very, very similar.  So, thanks for mentioning it, and anything else you think of would be great!

Today, they showed me his graph so far.  It's already half the amount of spiking he did in the first treatment.   This is treatment six today.  He's adjusting well, so they're adding to the protocol for next time.  We're hoping for big things!