Author Topic: Daughter is having a pain in her neck  (Read 8764 times)

Offline bylerbunch

• Learning
Daughter is having a pain in her neck
« on: February 11, 2007, 12:10:19 PM »
I'm new to herbal medicine, and this is my very first post!  I have a quick question for now...

My 9 yr. old dd suddenly has a pain in the back of her neck!  She is in so much pain she is crying.  Normally, I would treat with tylenol, but I would like to try something natural if you have any suggestions.  Right now she is taking a warm shower.  I thought maybe the heat would help her to feel better.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Beth
Honored Wife of Dean and Blessed Mama of 8 awesome children!

Offline kerimae

• Learning
    • A Happy Home Media
Re: Daughter is having a pain in her neck
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 07:54:42 PM »
I would find a recommended chiropractor first.  Did she have any falls or accidents lately?  Is she going to school and carrying a large backpack?  In the meantime, use ice instead of heat.  Good luck!

Keri
Happy help meet and mama of many, including one with Down Syndrome, looking to joyfully serve the Lord out of a happy home.

Offline Pitty-Pat

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 07:59:04 PM »
Does it hurt when she looks down....chin to chest?  Neck pains make me nervous because of the possibility of menengitis.  How's she doing?
"...it [feminism] is mixed up with a muddled idea that women are free when they serve their employers but slaves when they help their husbands." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline bylerbunch

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 02:35:21 AM »
Thanks for your replies!  She is doing much better -- I think she may have just pinched a nerve.  She was sitting for a long time as her older sister taught her how to knit, and I think having her neck in one position for a long time caused the pain.  The heat did help, but I'll remember ice for the next time!

Beth

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 04:26:11 PM »
Thanks for your replies!  She is doing much better -- I think she may have just pinched a nerve.  She was sitting for a long time as her older sister taught her how to knit, and I think having her neck in one position for a long time caused the pain.  The heat did help, but I'll remember ice for the next time!

Beth

For a crick in the neck, heat followed by liniment- coconut oil with NO MORE than 1/2 teas eucalyptus, peppermint, or wintergreen ess. oil (DON'T use wintergreen if allergic to aspirin) per 1/4 cup coconut oil rubbed on works very well for my family. It can be used for sore backs, sore & stiff necks, aching muscles from overuse, etc. If you make it w/eucalyptus it's works as chest rub for colds too. I make about 1/4 cup at a time, keep in the fridge (make sure no one eats it) & warm it up when needed by placing the jar I store it in (with the lid on to keep water out in case of splashing) into a bowl of HOT water. If you are going to apply heat, take a hot shower, etc make sure it's done BEFORE the liniment is applied because applying heat after can cause it to get too hot & burn the skin.  I know that she's better now but this way you'll have a tip you can use next time.  HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 05:00:31 PM »
It must be getting late.  I thought this post was about someone annoying your daughter, you know, someone was being "a pain in the neck"...  :D
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 05:36:46 PM »
If you don't have an overly stocked dry herb supply, I would try the following:

Alternate heat and cold every 3 to 5 minutes. You can use an ice pack and a moist, warm towel or a hand held shower head. This REALLY helps to alleviate pain and inflammation. If you don't have ice packs, a package of frozen vegetables will do the trick. For the towels, you can place your oven on the lowest temperature and place moist towels inside of a brown paper bag. Don't leave the oven unattended.

For a penetrating rub, use olive oil with cayenne pepper. One or 2 capsules if you have it in supplemental form. If not, use a tsp of cayenne in 3/4 to 1 cup of olive oil, mix well and  rub into painful muscle.

Hope she is feeling better soon. For small ones, you don't usually have to use very strong measures to get good results. HTH
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 06:32:05 PM »

There are some really great streches you can do to help align your back and neck properly.  My favorite looks kind of like muslims praying to allah, but it works really good.  you kneel, with your knees shoulder width apart, sit down like that, then bend over and rest your forehead on the floor, streaching your arms out as far as you can.  I kind of walk my fingers across the rug for extra strech, and stay there for as long as you need to feel streached, like a minute.  This usually does the trick for me, a day or so of this and it's usually gone.  Well, as long as it doesn't hurt so bad that you can't anyway.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 03:27:29 AM »
She was sitting for a long time as her older sister taught her how to knit, and I think having her neck in one position for a long time caused the pain.

This very thing has happened to me after knitting and crocheting!

The chiropractor has wisely informed me not to be in any position for more than 20 minutes at a time.  He says to get up and walk around the room once and stretch your arms and neck by shrugging your shoulders, etc.  This really does help, if you can remember to do it!

I think that because she was trying to learn how to knit than she was probably more tense about hand positioning than she will be once she learns it.   New skills seem to require a really stiff neck during learning before your comfortable with it enough to relax!  (for me, anyway!)

HTH

I

Offline merrymaiden

• Learning
    • Windfallings of Grace
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 07:20:44 PM »
My sister, 12 yo, has had almost-constant neck pain for the past four days. She fought a mild cold since the day before her neck began hurting. Now the cold is gone but the neck pain persists. She has been very tired since the first day -- no energy at all. She rests on the couch every chance she gets during the day (still keeping up with school =) and sleeps in bed all evening.

The pain is in the nape of her neck. We've given her gelsemium and byronia homeopathic medicines, I've rubbed an arnica homeopathic gel on her neck, and I've massaged the area with chamomile/olive oil. So far, the massage oil is what has given the most relief. We've applied heat to the area, also. I am going to try a eucalyptus liniment tomorrow if she is still in pain, but if that doesn't work I don't know what else to do but wait it out.

We've ruled out meningitis. She has no nausea, no migraine, no delirium -- just a persistent neck ache.

BTW, our nearest chiropractor is 500 air miles away. ::)

We would appreciate any thoughts and advice!
Glad in the LORD,

Miss Naomi ~ II Corinthians 3:5 & 9:8
Windfallings of Grace

Offline uptrapperdansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 06:40:53 AM »
We sometimes get neck pains before/during/after a cold or infections. I believe it has something to do with the glands and infections. I am actually suffering with this right now. Colds and such are going around and we we have been trying to keep on top of it. Neck pain and tiredness would definitely indicate and infection of some sort. Her body is just trying to fight it.

Let her rest and do poultices. Garlic, cayenne are some ideas. Thats all I can think of right of the top of my head. Hope that helps some.
Check out my testimony song!
A true story of God's delivering power!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab-MUxfeWJo

Offline merrymaiden

• Learning
    • Windfallings of Grace
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 08:30:39 AM »
Thanks! Glands and infections do seem to have a connection to neck pain -- makes sense. Her neck ache hung on for about five days. I decided to continue with the chamomile oil and gentle massage. It did wonders in easing the pain.

For the chamomile massage oil:

1 C. loose dried chamomile flowers
1 C. extra-virgin olive oil

Place in a jar, set in a sunny place for one week and shake every day or so. Strain oil with cheesecloth and discard herbs.
Glad in the LORD,

Miss Naomi ~ II Corinthians 3:5 & 9:8
Windfallings of Grace