Author Topic: Food costs  (Read 3201 times)

Offline bobopip45

• Wide Eyed
Food costs
« on: October 18, 2010, 11:14:40 AM »
Hi,
I am new at posting, although I have been reading for a while.  I have a question about food costs.  I have about $100.00/week to feed a family of 5.  2 of them are adults and 2 are teens.  How do I eat lean meats and fresh fruits and veggies on this limited budget?  Any suggestions?

bobopip45 :-\

Offline momhome

• Learning
Re: Food costs
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 11:37:56 PM »
Hi! I understand your dilemma. This is what I do: first make a menu plan. At least a week at a time if not a month. Then, make out your grocery list based on that plan and stick to it. If you can clip coupons and shop sales, then you can save a lot of money on non-perishables. Use the money you save to help with fresh produce & meats. And then shop the sales for those. Check out http://athriftymom.com/  she has a lot of tips on there. Another thing I do, is to cook totally from scratch. This actually saves a lot of money, and its healthier.  ;)
God-fearin, homeschoolin, 1800s kinda gal :-]

Offline bobopip45

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 03:07:42 AM »
thanks for your ideas.  i do most of them already.  l am also a homeschooling mom living on one inome. it has become quite tight around here due to the economy. but your ideas and those of any others are much appreciated.

thanks

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 11:00:33 AM »
If you live in an area that Azure Standard freights to.. I have saved SO much money by buying through them! www.azurestandard.com

Buying in bulk if often more money up front, but saves quite a bit over time. And you have something to live off of if things go bad. Recently we couldn't go grocery shopping for 2 months. If I hadn't bought in bulk we woiuld have been at the food bank. But because I bought bulk, and when time were good bought extra, we ate really well for having not gone grocery shopping for 2 months. :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:04:44 AM by HappyWifey »

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »
It seems like I'm always trying to tighten the food budget, too, so I know it can be really hard! Especially when I'm determined to eat as healthy as we can possibly afford.

I totally second the Azure recommendation. They occasionally run FANTASTIC deals (I got 70+ organic avocadoes for $15 once, or another time they had close to 30 pounds of organic butternut squash for $9... they'll frequently have organic apples for close to a $1 a pound - or even less!), and I try to take advantage of those.

If you don't have access to the Azure deliveries, then make friends with someone who has a garden.  :)  I realize that this time of year isn't exactly a prime time for gardens, but when they're in season, it's amazing how helpful it is when people start sharing their unwanted surplus produce. I don't know how much time and space you have, but growing your own garden can be a good option, too.

Around here, it's not terribly unusual for apple trees to be left neglected, with fruit falling off and rotting on the ground. The owners are often too busy to tend to them, and might be happy for you to come pick them and take them away. One of my friends actually advertised in the paper that they were willing to pick the apples and take them away, and they ended up with LOTS of apples.

If you are close to a Sam's Club, it might be worth investing in a year's membership. The one near me regularly sells their BIG tubs of organic lettuce (spinach or mixed greens) for about $3. We can't even eat it all in a week! They also sell Tillamook cheese for a much cheaper price than I can get anywhere else around here, but unfortunately, not cheap enough, most of the time... *sigh*

Make your own bread from scratch, and use sourdough. I'm still getting the hang of the sourdough thing, but once I've conquered it, that should be $2 a week that I WON'T be spending on yeast, anymore.

Invest in a culture (such as one from www.Culturesforhealth.com) and start making your own yogurt. It can save lots of money over the long haul.

Meat is one thing I still haven't managed to find a cheap source for. And certainly not healthy meat! So we're trying to do more meatless meals. My current source for meatless protein is lentils, simply because they're cheap, and they seem less "beany" than some other legumes! I served a Lebanese Lentil Soup the other night that was QUITE cheap, and everybody really liked it -- it didn't even seem like we were eating bean soup.

And then, if you get REALLY desperate, here's a blog about a guy who eats on a dollar a day. Granted, he's only feeding one person, he's ALL about playing the coupon game, and his definition of eating healthy is far different than mine, but... it's still quite amazing how much food he ends up with for almost no money at all.

Eating Well on $1 A Day

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:53:57 PM by Jade »
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc