Author Topic: A CURE FOR SIDS???  (Read 26259 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: A CURE FOR SIDS???
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 07:00:25 AM »
I wonder if these gases will disappear over time?  I've never bought a new mattress for my kids.  They were all second hand and I never had any problems.
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 08:45:35 AM »
I'm not sure about gases, but I do know that when you're trying to seal a mattress from releasing allergens into the room, a simple vinyl cover doesn't work very well. I have a very nice allergen-proof cover on both our mattress and the crib. It's very possible that something like this would do the same as what ya'll are talking about.

Allergies are so common now that it's become a very big business with all kinds of products to protect from environmental allergens--including toxic gases. We actually have a store in our town that sells a lot of allergy relief and cleaning supplies--something like a Clean Living store, I think--including mattress covers. The things they sell are really a lot nicer than what you'd find in a department store. It's possible that you might find something like this in your area that will have what you're looking for. You can also try checking out a medical supply store. I think you'd have better luck there than somewhere like Home Depot.

HTH,
Aura

There are some specific gases that, when expelled from the mattress, are toxic to baby because they "pool" around the breathing space of the baby (and I believe it is worse when the baby is sleeping on the tummy, but not impossible with baby on the back) and then strangle the baby due to the lack of oxygen.  The plastic in these covers is guaranteed to be,particle-wise, small enough to block these specific gases.  Therefore, the gases are blocked and forced to the underside/floor for release.  On the underside of these mattress covers, there are holes for release of gases.

I guess you'd need to determine if the allergy mattress covers were of the same plastic.  :-\  Also, there would need to be an opening in the bottom to expel gases.

I wonder if these gases will disappear over time?  I've never bought a new mattress for my kids.  They were all second hand and I never had any problems.

I've wondered that myself.  I wonder if the testing done was with different ages of mattresses, or only new ones, but I don't recall reading anything about it at the time I investigated and ordered my cover.

I seem to also remember wondering if the mattresses in question were only older ones?  Perhaps they are using different materials in the newer ones?  But I wasn't willing to take a chance with #9 baby because she, along with some of my others, would ONLY sleep on their tummies.  We got no sleep at all otherwise.  I had at that time met and been acquainted with a family who had recently lost a baby to SIDS. :'(
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 12:25:36 PM by cecac »

Offline here-n-there-a-little

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 02:36:32 PM »
The ONLY plastics that are safe (according to the research in previously posted links) to wrap a mattress are clear & colorless polythene or clear & colorless polyethelyne and at least 125 microns or 5 mils.  All other plastics either let gasses pass through or produce the toxic gases themselves.  Older mattresses are more dangerous because the fungus that feeds on the phospherus, arsenic, and antimony gets a stronger foothold in the bedding materials and produces more gases than in the newer mattress.  Statistics show that for every child that sleeps on a used mattress, their risk for SIDS increases.  That is why there are more SIDS deaths in lower income families, because wealthier families usually have/buy newer bedding.

Offline yasmine

• Adept
  • God is my strength and my shield!
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2007, 07:22:10 PM »
hey I just bought from target, an egg crate-like thing for the mattress for more cushion . It smelled strong aand I read it was made of, polyurethane. Is the a toxic substance? Can some one tell me even if it might be?

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2007, 04:36:25 AM »
Does it help to lay the mattresses out in the sun?  When we were growing up, my dad had the mattresses out in the sun twice a year.  We were the only family I ever saw doing that, but he insisted.  I was just wondering if that would help with the outgassing.  I'm about to buy a new crib mattress as our baby is growing out of the bassinet.  I'm nervous about this.  We're also going to get a new mattress for our bed and sometimes the baby sleeps with us.  I know my husband won't let me put our new mattress out in the backyard  :)  but I could probably get away with doing the crib mattress.  Any ideas?

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 07:07:54 AM »
 Has anyone ever heard of a buckwheat futon?   I make our own buckwheat hull pillows and they are very comfortable, infact we always take them with us when we stay somewhere else over night!  Here is a  link :  http://www.metaefficient.com/archives/mattresses/efficient-buckwheat-futons.html

Another link:  http://www.jackcrisp.com/

We have been thinking about getting one of these for a while now.  With moving recently and having a new baby its been put on the back burner.  But with this information about SIDS it has me wanting to buy one or try making a buckwheat futon.    I had planned on making one for the baby bassinet, but never got around to it yet.  She's  going to out grow the bassinet soon enough anyways, that I think I'll make one for a play pen or pack and play  that she'll be sleeping in during the day. 

The only problem is that it's not water proof and would need something to keep it from getting wet.   I had plan on getting a wool puddle pad, but apparently they have chemicals too.   Anyone have anyother ideas?   I would also need something for our bed during the night as she sleeps with us.   

Blessing's,
                                                        RB
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

cecac

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 11:57:55 AM »
hey I just bought from target, an egg crate-like thing for the mattress for more cushion . It smelled strong aand I read it was made of, polyurethane. Is the a toxic substance? Can some one tell me even if it might be?

If you go to the linked site, it will give a list of the toxic gases believed to be responsible for crib death. 

HTH,
Cara

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 04:58:23 PM »
Just an update: The Home Depot in my city does not carry the specified plastics for mattress wrapping.  I didn't check anywhere else yet and I think I might just go ahead and order the mattress wrap from babesafe.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2007, 05:57:41 PM »
Just an update: The Home Depot in my city does not carry the specified plastics for mattress wrapping.  I didn't check anywhere else yet and I think I might just go ahead and order the mattress wrap from babesafe.

You may want to call a paint store (drop cloths are often heavy plastic) or a good hardware store and ask for 5 mil clear polyethelene.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline cinmama

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2007, 06:32:29 PM »
Anyone know if increased circulation in the room helps these gasses disperse?  It seems logical enough.  We have always used fans in the bedrooms for noise control (with 4 boys runnin' around, there's always noise), and there are also ceiling fans in all of our rooms.  Maybe i'll go turn it on 'high' :).

I got pretty nervous when reading all of the info on this thread.  Think i am gonna just go ahead and buy one of these covers.  Piece of mind is worth $30.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2007, 09:17:06 PM »
The buckwheat futons look great for older children & adults & I may make one for myself but I don't think they would be a good idea for a baby. I have had buckwheat pillows before & with the way the buckwheat hulls move & mold themselves to your contors if a baby was to sleep on one I would think there would be a high risk of them burying their face in the futon & suffocating. Just my opinion. Blessings ~herbalmom

Has anyone ever heard of a buckwheat futon?   I make our own buckwheat hull pillows and they are very comfortable, infact we always take them with us when we stay somewhere else over night!  Here is a  link :  http://www.metaefficient.com/archives/mattresses/efficient-buckwheat-futons.html

Another link:  http://www.jackcrisp.com/

We have been thinking about getting one of these for a while now.  With moving recently and having a new baby its been put on the back burner.  But with this information about SIDS it has me wanting to buy one or try making a buckwheat futon.    I had planned on making one for the baby bassinet, but never got around to it yet.  She's  going to out grow the bassinet soon enough anyways, that I think I'll make one for a play pen or pack and play  that she'll be sleeping in during the day. 

The only problem is that it's not water proof and would need something to keep it from getting wet.   I had plan on getting a wool puddle pad, but apparently they have chemicals too.   Anyone have anyother ideas?   I would also need something for our bed during the night as she sleeps with us.   

Blessing's,
                                                        RB

Offline samswife

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2007, 09:25:57 PM »
This is all very interesting!!

samswife:)

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2007, 02:30:06 AM »
Anyone know if increased circulation in the room helps these gasses disperse?  It seems logical enough.  We have always used fans in the bedrooms for noise control (with 4 boys runnin' around, there's always noise), and there are also ceiling fans in all of our rooms.  Maybe i'll go turn it on 'high' :).

I got pretty nervous when reading all of the info on this thread.  Think i am gonna just go ahead and buy one of these covers.  Piece of mind is worth $30.

I don't know  ???  They did say that these gases are heavier than air which is why they pool on the mattress surface rather than rising and floating away.  It is also why they say a baby sleeping on their tummy is more at risk because that is where the gases pool. I have thought of the fan thing, but don't know if it would solve it or not and the info doesn't mention anything like that.

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2007, 02:42:28 AM »
The buckwheat futons look great for older children & adults & I may make one for myself but I don't think they would be a good idea for a baby. I have had buckwheat pillows before & with the way the buckwheat hulls move & mold themselves to your contors if a baby was to sleep on one I would think there would be a high risk of them burying their face in the futon & suffocating. Just my opinion. Blessings ~herbalmom

[/quote]

I agree that the buckwheat hull futon could pose a high risk of suffocating a small child.   I'm wondering if adding enough buckwheat hulls to make it firm and then adding some type of outer cover would make it safe?? 

My husband is going to check  paint stores  and  lumber yards for the specified plastic. 
I'm also wondering what type of shower curtain we bought at Lows?   On the tag it said, " That it was ECO  friendly and wouldn't smell bad like your reg. plastic shower curtains."   It is some type of plastic though.   Might work to cover a mattress??  We will look into this and give an update sometime.
                                                           Blessing's,
                                                               RB

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
  • Music in my kitchen :)
    • The Most Important Job in the World for a Married Woman
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2008, 06:32:55 AM »
OK, I'm reviving this thread because I have a two month old and am getting a little freaked out by what I have been reading about mattresses and toxic gases causing SIDS.

Dr. Mercola's website has much more extensive research than the cotlife200 website:

http://www.mercola.com/2000/nov/5/victory_over_sids.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2001/oct/27/sids_prevention.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jan/14/crib_death.htm

So here is my question... rather than wait who knows how long for a package to come from Australia (the BabeSafe mattress cover), does anyone know where I can get Polythene sheeting to cover my mattress as described in Dr. Mercola's website????

Okay, I'm joining you in the "getting a little freaked out" club.   :)  I've never even heard of this.  I read through the article on Dr. Mercola's site (sids prevention link you provided), but I couldn't figure out of it's for a certain age group, a certain age mattress (my DD's is from 2004 brand new then for DS), should I purchase the cover now, etc.??  Would I need a new cover for each new baby?  If I have more children, do I need a new mattress and then the cover?  WOW!!  Scary stuff!   :o
Wife to Ron for 8 years (on 7.13.10 :)), and Mama to DS 6yo, DD 3-1/2yo, and DS 19mo! . . . and DD#2 due in August, 2010.

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2008, 04:18:52 PM »
OK, I'm reviving this thread because I have a two month old and am getting a little freaked out by what I have been reading about mattresses and toxic gases causing SIDS.

Dr. Mercola's website has much more extensive research than the cotlife200 website:

So here is my question... rather than wait who knows how long for a package to come from Australia (the BabeSafe mattress cover), does anyone know where I can get Polythene sheeting to cover my mattress as described in Dr. Mercola's website????

Okay, I'm joining you in the "getting a little freaked out" club.   :)  I've never even heard of this.  I read through the article on Dr. Mercola's site (sids prevention link you provided), but I couldn't figure out of it's for a certain age group, a certain age mattress (my DD's is from 2004 brand new then for DS), should I purchase the cover now, etc.??  Would I need a new cover for each new baby?  If I have more children, do I need a new mattress and then the cover?  WOW!!  Scary stuff!   :o

According to the research I've done, it pertains to infants.  Once their bodies get big enough, it says something to the effect that their bodies are able to deal with the fumes and 'all they may have' is a headache or no reaction at all.  But, other stuff has said that the fumes may be what causes headaches, possibly in adults???

You only need one cover and you can use any mattress regardless of the age of the mattress, you should just air it in the sun prior to covering.  I havent seen anything about a cover becoming compromised.  Athough if it gets punctured, that would make it 'leak' fumes which would be bad.

The older the mattress the more the fungus has had a chance to get a foothold in it and create the toxic gases.  But, if you have the right kind of cover, it doesn't matter the age because they will not be able to reach the baby.

So, here is what I am doing: I have a mattress from 2004 which has a cover.  I plan to use that through however many kids we have.  I have another cover for our pack and play because she sleeps in that half the time too.  As long as the cover doesn't get punctured, they are good to go.  I don't plan on taking the cover off and my dd will use it until she transitions to a big bed.

Here is another interesting thing: My cousin asked a friend of hers who is a chemist about the info.  He too, had never heard of the information, but said that the chemical breakdown that the articles provide appear valid... SCARY!

In case anyone is concerned that the plastic would be bothersome to sleep on, it really isn't a nusiance.  I have one medium thickness cotton quilt on top of the cover and a sheet over that and one really wouldn't know that there was a thick layer of plastic on it.  The only nusience it is is that it is slippery when changing the quilt and sheet.  I have been very happy with it and have had such a peace of mind with the 'layer of protection' it is providing.

Offline lovetoreadmom

• Master
  • Music in my kitchen :)
    • The Most Important Job in the World for a Married Woman
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2008, 03:32:40 AM »

According to the research I've done, it pertains to infants.  Once their bodies get big enough, it says something to the effect that their bodies are able to deal with the fumes and 'all they may have' is a headache or no reaction at all.  But, other stuff has said that the fumes may be what causes headaches, possibly in adults???

You only need one cover and you can use any mattress regardless of the age of the mattress, you should just air it in the sun prior to covering.  I havent seen anything about a cover becoming compromised.  Athough if it gets punctured, that would make it 'leak' fumes which would be bad.

The older the mattress the more the fungus has had a chance to get a foothold in it and create the toxic gases.  But, if you have the right kind of cover, it doesn't matter the age because they will not be able to reach the baby.

So, here is what I am doing: I have a mattress from 2004 which has a cover.  I plan to use that through however many kids we have.  I have another cover for our pack and play because she sleeps in that half the time too.  As long as the cover doesn't get punctured, they are good to go.  I don't plan on taking the cover off and my dd will use it until she transitions to a big bed.

Here is another interesting thing: My cousin asked a friend of hers who is a chemist about the info.  He too, had never heard of the information, but said that the chemical breakdown that the articles provide appear valid... SCARY!

In case anyone is concerned that the plastic would be bothersome to sleep on, it really isn't a nusiance.  I have one medium thickness cotton quilt on top of the cover and a sheet over that and one really wouldn't know that there was a thick layer of plastic on it.  The only nusience it is is that it is slippery when changing the quilt and sheet.  I have been very happy with it and have had such a peace of mind with the 'layer of protection' it is providing.

You said you use a med. thickness cotton quilt on top of the plastic.  Is a mattress cover okay to put over it and then the sheet or is this bad also?

I have always put a mattress cover on before the sheet, so I was just wondering.  Thanks for your insight.
Wife to Ron for 8 years (on 7.13.10 :)), and Mama to DS 6yo, DD 3-1/2yo, and DS 19mo! . . . and DD#2 due in August, 2010.

Offline Mrs.Michael

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 06:42:10 AM »
I had been debating on buying one of these for quite some time now....needless to say after reading all of this.....30$ is a cheap price for peace of mind....even if this is not as accurate as we would like. It sounds viable...better safe than sorry....i just purchased one..and will probably be sleeping with baby on the floor untill it gets here :).....

Offline crystaldew

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 09:30:44 AM »
what i have read indicates that any material used on top of the protective cover should be all natural  (100% cotton, wool) because anything with "fill" -pillow, puffy covers, mattress cover- has some of these toxic gas producing materials in it. we have not covered our bed (baby sleeps with us at night) because he sleeps on his back and is right next to me. as for naps (on tummy!), his co-sleeper mattress has a bebesafe cover. i put a towel and then the fitted sheet on top. for extra layers we use towels, flannel receiving blankets,etc. which are easy to take off and replace if wet. if needed, i put a small waterproof pad under his lower half only (we are doing EC). i'm not sure if that is best, but it's a compromise.
*peace*

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2008, 09:52:10 AM »
What I use is like a huge lap pad. It covers the whole top of our mattress but not the sides (it hangs over the edges a little) or bottom.

It's just like these only huge.

It is a waterproof material with a slightly fuzzy surface. It's was cheap at Wall-Mart and I figured it would do the job - if the job is just to keep fumes from coming up thru the mattress while baby sleeps.

WR
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 09:56:28 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2008, 02:48:17 PM »
[You said you use a med. thickness cotton quilt on top of the plastic.  Is a mattress cover okay to put over it and then the sheet or is this bad also?

I have always put a mattress cover on before the sheet, so I was just wondering.  Thanks for your insight.

According to the info in those links, only all cotton fabrics should be used on top of the mattress cover.  The mattress cover should either be purchased from bebesafe or use only polyethyl or polyethylene of 5 mil thick and clear only.  Any other plastic either lets fumes through or contains chemicals in it themselves that can be toxic.  I can't remember if wool can be used.  I would think it is a natural fiber.  Mattress covers that you buy in the stores have the wrong kind of plastic and usually have nylon and polyester which are not natural fibers.  My all cotton quilt acts just like a mattress cover for softness.  And if the baby wets through, all you have to do is wipe the plastic.  It is a very nice plastic/ very easy to clean with a damp cloth.  To be honest, if baby wets, it is actually easier to wash the cotton quilt and sheet than it is to wash those other waterproof mattress covers.  I just hate washing those things.   Sorry if I sound rambelly... I've had a long tiring day  :-\.  I probably should have waited until tomorrow to respond.  :-[
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:52:19 PM by here-n-there-a-little »

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2008, 09:48:29 AM »
I found a source to purchase the polyethylene plastic sheeting to cover mattresses which is cheaper than buying the mattress covers.  As crazy as it sounds, I found it on Amazon.com!!!

Here is a link to one size:
http://www.amazon.com/6-Millimeter-Polyethylene-6ML-CLR-12X50/dp/B000H6VQ00/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1203470067&sr=1-3
They have different sizes and quantities.  If you are interested, just put polyethylene 6ML in the search box on Amazon and you will see your choices.  I know it sounds like a lot of plastic, but if  you have others to share it with, it is REALLY cheap.  I already have several families I know who are going to split it with me.

Here is a blurb about wrapping the mattress (from:http://www.cure-guide.com/Natural_Health_Newsletter/Baby_Bedding___SIDS/baby_bedding___sids.html):

HOW TO WRAP A BABY'S MATTRESS FOR SIDS PREVENTION
Instructions written by James Sprott

The advice to wrap mattresses applies to every mattress on which a baby sleeps (except a BabeSafe mattress) and includes: adults' mattresses; mattresses of other children; and all mattresses made of or containing natural products such as sheepfleeces, goatskins, kapok, tree bark, coconut fibre, etc.

The most convenient way to wrap a baby's mattress is by means of a BabeSafe mattress cover.  As an alternative, parents can purchase polyethylene sheeting to make their own mattress wraps.  If they select this option, the following instructions apply:

1.  Use thick, clear (not colored) polyethylene sheeting, available in the paint section of your local hardware store.  The thickness of the polyethylene must be at least 125 microns, or 5 mil.  On no account should PVC be used for wrapping mattresses.

2.  Place the polyethylene over the top of the mattress and down the ends and sides, and then secure it firmly beneath the mattress with strong adhesive or duct tape.

3.  The polyethylene should not be airtight on the underside of the mattress.  It must be airtight on the top and sides of the mattress.

4.  It is imperative to use the correct bedding with a BabeSafe mattress or BabeSafe mattress cover or polyethylene-covered mattress.  On top of the polyethylene place a fleecy pure cotton underblanket and tuck this in securely.  Then make the bed using  sheets and pure woollen or pure cotton overblanket/s.

5. Do not use any of the following items in your baby's bed:

Sheepskin
Sheepfleece underlay
Any form of moisture-resistant mattress protector
Acrylic blanket
Sleeping bag
Duvet

6.  Proprietary mattresses and mattress covers must not be used unless they carry the Campaign against Cot Death logo or are accompanied by a certificate of analysis showing that they contain no detectable phosphorus, arsenic or antimony (lower limit of detection 0.001% = 10mg/kg = 10ppm).

For more information about baby mattress issues read the articles at the healthychild website.

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2008, 12:48:42 PM »
Thank you for a source and all the information!    :-*   I never did get around to looking at Lowe's yet.    :-[

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2008, 07:02:01 AM »
Where is the best place to buy the BabySafe crib mattress cover?  If my baby is 10 months old and is just now moving to the crib, do I still need one?  She'll be sleeping on a very old mattress.  My dh said the mattress is still good (it's been in the attic for 5 years), but I have my doubts.  I want my daughter to be safe.  Any help appreciated!

Offline prolifeguyswife

• Adept
    • Colorado's Personhood Amendment 2008
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2008, 10:15:03 AM »
This is a great topic! A Dad in our Bradley-method class (4 years ago) was a scientist who had written a book about SIDS. His research pointed to second-hand mattresses being a cause for SIDS. His book says that most babies who die of SIDS are 2nd babies or further down the line in the order of siblings in a family. His theory is that there is mold in the mattress that can kill the baby. He claims that since the "Back to Sleep" campaign was introduced, there have been fewer incidences of SIDS because the babies are not as often face down, breathing in the toxic mold. His theory made sense to me - if you think about it, diapers "leak" onto crib mattresses all the time, and babies spit up on them from time to time, also. If that moisture gets locked into the mattress, why wouldn't it grow mold?

This time, we threw away the mattress from our oldest child, and saved up $129 dollars to get an organic mattress from Babies R Us. It did have a low amount of flame retardant on it to comply with state laws, but we got an organic mattress cover to cut down on her exposure to it. This mattress didn't stink like new materials as the old one did. We are missionaries who raise support, but the reading I've done made me feel that this was a very important purchase for her health.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2008, 01:24:10 PM »
I thought all modern crib mattresses were covered in vinyl so that they couldn't absorb fluids.  Also, wouldn't mold spores show up in an autopsy here and there, since most SIDS victims do get autopsied?   ~L

Offline HapEMom

• Learning
    • Better is Little
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2008, 03:48:45 PM »
Where is the best place to buy the BabySafe crib mattress cover?  If my baby is 10 months old and is just now moving to the crib, do I still need one?  She'll be sleeping on a very old mattress.  My dh said the mattress is still good (it's been in the attic for 5 years), but I have my doubts.  I want my daughter to be safe.  Any help appreciated!

If you order from http://www.babysake.com/BabeSafeUSA.htm
You can get one here with free shipping. This is where I bought mine.
It brought me some peace of mind...If dh is o.k. with you spending the $$ on one I would still purchase it even for a 10 month old. I bought mine before she slept in her baby bed around 6 weeks old. She slept with us before the crib but we didn't do anything to our mattress...they say you should cover every mattress the child sleeps on. I was much more concerned w/ her in her bed alone on her tummy. In my bed she slept beside me on her side...

HTH!

Amanda
Be blessed!

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><

Job 23:10  But he knoweth the way that I take: when he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2008, 03:53:50 PM »
yeah i  don't see how mold could get into a crib mattress w/ the material they are made of ??? I thoughht after 3 months you were petty clear of sids ???

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »
I don't know about all mattresses but every crib mattress we've ever had was quilted on top so the vinyl had needle holes all over it where the quilting was done. Not to mention where it was sewn at the edges. And they did get wet underneath there. We had to set ours outside to dry in the sun a few times when one or the other of us used too much water to clean up a mess.

WR
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 05:11:44 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2008, 05:07:47 PM »
interesting. i have never seen that...So I just bought a memory foam/high density foam bed...the thing stinks!!! now I'm wondering...we co-sleep...how do I know what materiall/gases it is making?