Author Topic: Need advice/encouragement- Feeding just me and the children (8mo & 3yo)  (Read 3251 times)

Offline allforHim

• Learning
Okay,
My husband is in the Navy so it's just the kids and I for weeks or months (one time it was a year) at a time...I have the hardest time while he is gone to stay motivated in all areas of life (some days are easier than others but it is a continual battle I am praying about). Especially when mealtime rolls around. It's basically me and the 3yo who is eating. The 3yo doesn't eat as much as I do and the 8mo eats table foods but nothing close to the 3yo...I would say it's close to cooking for one adult and a half (if that makes sense, lol).
So, I guess my question is: how do I shop and make healthy substantial meals just for us? Without leftovers or fresh produce going to waste? Side note: I do not have a deep freezer (on my "wish list" or should I say prayer list ;).
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Offline hisham

• Learning
Dear Feeder  ;)
     Start by choosing an easy side for the week. Make a good portion of say... boiled/steamed red potatoes, or a few extra cups of brown rice than you would need. Now you have something to work with that can fit tomorrows dinner needs. Sautee a little bacon, onion, garlic, carrot and broccoli then add in the extra rice according to what you and the kiddos will eat. Fry and egg with any extra boiled potatoes, put out some fresh veggies or fruit and you've made an easy inexpensive dinner. Any extra pasta, put out as a pasta salad the next night with a shredded carrot and some fresh tomatoes or bell peppers in it with some simple italian dressing over it.
     Plan your dinners by the week. When you do, those green onions or zuccini or cucumbers wont be wasted, you'll have bought enough for the portioned meals ahead. You'll also find your collection of meals will grow, letting you have a little fun with what you have! I will also make a fruit smoothie with any leftover fruit sitting around (keep some good & healthy yogurt on hand for this)...or muffins too (like you I don't want to waste the food nor make something that wont get eaten!) Who knows, you may bless the socks off your man next time he comes home with a great "protfolio" of good eats! - Just another Mom.
"Give God the glory"

Offline allforHim

• Learning
Dear Feeder  ;)
     Start by choosing an easy side for the week. Make a good portion of say... boiled/steamed red potatoes, or a few extra cups of brown rice than you would need. Now you have something to work with that can fit tomorrows dinner needs. Sautee a little bacon, onion, garlic, carrot and broccoli then add in the extra rice according to what you and the kiddos will eat. Fry and egg with any extra boiled potatoes, put out some fresh veggies or fruit and you've made an easy inexpensive dinner. Any extra pasta, put out as a pasta salad the next night with a shredded carrot and some fresh tomatoes or bell peppers in it with some simple italian dressing over it.
     Plan your dinners by the week. When you do, those green onions or zuccini or cucumbers wont be wasted, you'll have bought enough for the portioned meals ahead. You'll also find your collection of meals will grow, letting you have a little fun with what you have! I will also make a fruit smoothie with any leftover fruit sitting around (keep some good & healthy yogurt on hand for this)...or muffins too (like you I don't want to waste the food nor make something that wont get eaten!) Who knows, you may bless the socks off your man next time he comes home with a great "protfolio" of good eats! - Just another Mom.

Thanks for the advice! Especially about having some of the things pre-made and just adding to through out the week...
I am a very "spell-it-out-to-me" type learner, lol. Usually there is an easy solution and I have a little bit of a hard time seeing it at first. Thanks so much!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
we do leftover planning as well.  during weeks that we eat alot of rice (asian's here) i try to buy things that go well with rice that week (bulgogi [roast], hot pork [pork shoulders], eggrolls [prepared and frozen in advance], ham [for fried rice]).

on weeks we do american food, i get taters and we have all sorts of different taters (cubed, baked, fried, mashed, etc.)  usually i don't make taters ahead, because we like them better fresh, so we make more meat for leftovers (steak, chops, chicken, etc.) and then make the taters as we go (especially french fries).

sometimes we get on a breakfast all the time kick (eggs, hashbrowns, biscuits and gravy, etc.)  i generally cook alot of bacon all at once [btw, did you know that you don't have to cook bacon a strip at a time?  i just learned this.  lol].  the bacon can be used for salads, BLTs, the grease can be used for gravies for biscuits and then if you make eggs, taters, bacon, etc throughout the week, you can throw all of it in the pot and make hash and eat with pancakes or toast or leftover biscuits.  the leftover biscuits are a hit around here with butter and honey as well.

we also have soup days.  i boil 4 chicken leg quarters at one time.  i debone the chicken and divide it in half.  i also divide the chicken stock in half.  i take half the chicken and either make sandwiches or mexi stuff with it.  i take half the chicken and half the stock and make chicken soup.  i take the last half of the chicken stock and make italian wedding soup.  

so boiling chicken on one day, gives me 3 meals plus leftovers.  for just you and baby, you could probably get by with one or two chicken quarters for this OR you could go ahead with the extra and freeze the chicken and stock after you divide it into say maybe 4 servings.  boil chicken once, debone once, get 6-8 meals out of the deal.  we also eat rice in our soup (added while serving - don't cook the rice in the soup or it will get soggy :P ), so i usually follow (or precede) asian food week with soup days to use up any leftover rice.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:57:35 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!