Author Topic: Homeopathy - What it is and how it works  (Read 22596 times)

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Homeopathy - What it is and how it works
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:24:36 PM »
For the purposes of this thread, I’m going to use our personal experience in treating our son’s ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura) as an example of what I’m trying to explain in any given section.  There won’t be much specifically on his case until the next time I post.  For now, I’ll try to lay some foundation first.   Much of what I will quote will come from the book Homeopathy A to Z Home Handbook by Alan Schmukler. 

The basis of homeopathy is that like cures like.  “Homeopathy is medical science that uses natural substances to mimic illness and stimulate healing.  Any substance that can produce symptoms in a healthy person can cure those same symptoms in a sick person.”  (Homepathy an A to Z Handbook by Alan Schmukler). 

For example:  our DS had ITP, which meant that he had low platelets (in his case, zero).  This meant that he could easily bleed if he fell, was touched, kicked something, or just sitting there, could have had a brain bleed.  On the basis of “like cures like” he was initially given lachesis.  Lachesis is snake venom.  Why snake venom?  Because in larger quantities, snake venom could make someone bleed to death.  But given in molecular amounts it caused his body (his immune system to be exact) to produce platelets and also make his cell integrity stronger so he couldn’t bleed. 

An example from the book quoted above:  Coffee can overstimulate the mind and trigger insomnia.  Homeopathic coffee (molecular amounts) can help restore sleep disturbed by an overactive mind.

This is essentially the same thing they do with ADD kids.  They give them a stimulant that in a normal person would send them flying.  But it the ADD kid, calms them down significantly. 

In what situations would one use homeopathy: 

1)  when antibiotics fail – homeopathics never develop resistance to germs
2)  when cost matters - it is inexpensive.  One dose costs about 8 cents
3)  One can prescribe without a diagnosis – based on a person’s symptoms – this is helpful when you can’t afford testing or doctors are unable to determine what is wrong
4)  Homeopathic remedies are safe and free of any chemical side effects
5)  They can be used prophylactically and in fact can be used to vaccinate your child safely (no additives)
6)  People who are allergic to antibiotics or other drugs can safely use homeopathy without reaction
7)  You will heal faster then with traditional medicine
8)  You can sometimes avoid surgery (ie. Polyps, tonsils, hemorrohoids, ulcers, gall bladder problems, etc.)
9)  Homeopathic remedies remove toxins from the body

Homeopathy can be used for first aid, acute care, and prevention.  On pages 11-12 of this book there are some excellent examples of epidemics where those treated with homeopathy (in hospitals) all survived whereas those treated with conventional medicine died. 

How did homeopathy start:

What one will find in most of their searches is that Samuel Hahnemann was the “father” of homeopathy in about 1790.  A search of this guy’s life and beliefs will send one running for the hills!  However, if you continue to search deeper into other cultures I found that homeopathy was practiced in places such as India long before Hahnemann put a name to it. 

When we first looked into homeopathy for our son, we started researching it because origins matter to us.  As we read about S.H. we started to back away.  However, a friend was able to send us some information about other cultures that were practicing it (without the homeopathic name) long before he came along and without all the voodoo stuff.   While S.H. put a name to it, it existed in practice long before 1790.

Before the late 1800’s, there were 200 some homeopathic hospitals in America.  That’s all they used to treat patients and they did so with good success.  This was also prior to the licensing of doctors.  In the late 1800’s the AMA was formed to try and force doctors to become licensed.   Medical schools taught less and less homeopathy and it became more and more difficult for homeopathic practioners to practice it in a hospital until they were finally just pushed out.  The last homeopathic hospital closed in America I believe in the early 1900’s.  Right about the time the drug companies started coming on the scene.  Today, in other countries, homeopathic hospitals are actually quite common. There is a full history of homeopathy in American hospitals in the book
Family Guide to Homeopathy: Symptoms and Natural Solutions by Andrew Lockie .  He gives an excellent history.  This is also a good book to have on hand for treating the family. 

Energy patterns:

Every culture/religion has a name for what they believe keeps a person alive.  Hahnemann called it “vital force.”  In India it’s called “prana.”  In China it’s called “chi.”  If you look more deeply into what is meant by "vital force" it comes down to the thing that keeps us alive.   This is the area my husband and I had to pray over the most.  Because we do recognize that the body does have protons, neutrons, and electrons and illness is caused by the body getting out of balance.  So I suppose you can call it what you want, but the bottom line is, when the immune system, in particular, gets off track, illness occurs. 

The “job” of a homeopathic remedy isn’t to cure illness.  It’s to put the immune system back into balance (or back on track if you will) so the body can heal itself.  This is the part that made the most scientific sense to my husband and I because we do believe that God created our bodies to heal if we give them what they need.  We also believe God created all we need to heal our bodies outside of traditional medicine of today. 

How Does Homeopathy Heal?

Remedies are made using plants, minerals, elements (phosphorus, gold, etc), animal substances (bee sting toxin, snake venom, etc), and disease substance (this is also how vaccination is done homeopathically).  Remedies are made by putting a small amount of a given substance in a bottle with water or grain alcohol.  It goes through a process of successive dilutions and succussion (essentially shaking very hard).  How many times the substance is diluted and succussed is how they determine potency.  In homeopathy, the more it is diluted, the stronger it is.   When a substance is the dilution wanted, then lactose pellets are added and the remedy is succussed.  Whenever you take a homeopathic remedy you NEVER want to touch the pellets because the remedy is on the outside of the pellets.  The pellet is just the carrier for the substance. 

So by now, you’re wondering, how on earth can something so diluted heal?  Let me give you a few examples that we found and one we tried.

1.   The pickle jar.  Ever wash a pickle jar from the store only to have it still smell like pickles?  What if you put water in that jar and shook it around?  Often, the water then has a slight pickle taste.  But the pickles are gone.  What’s left is actually molecular amounts of the brine that was in that jar.  What if you washed that jar, say, 100 times?  Eventually that pickle smell would probably go away.  But if you put even a drop of pickle juice in that jar again, the smell would be pretty strong again.  We did this test with the pickle jar at home only we washed it 12 times (the equivalent of a 12C homeopathic potency).  And yup, still smells like pickles and the water still has a slight pickle taste.  We did use a store pickle jar for this test.

2.   Antibiotics in our rivers.  They have done a number of studies where they have found birth control pill hormones, antidepressants, and antibiotics in the water of rivers in small amounts.  We know that drinking this water has long term effects on a person’s body, throwing it hormonally out of balance in many cases.   But how could such a small amount actually affect a person?  They don’t know.  It just does.  Homeopathy is similar in fashion.  How can molecular amounts so small heal a person?  The honest answer is, they don’t really know; they just know it does (and have hundreds of years of patient proof). 

Before you decide that you HAVE to know how it works before you could use it let me ask you a question.  Do you know how Tylenol works?  What about prednisone?  What about “name any drug here.”  If you look up acetametaphen (sp?) (Tylenol) in the Physicians Desk Reference, where it says how it functions it states this:  UNKNOWN.  I had my sister pull out her PDR (her husband is a doctor) and in page after page after page, drugs were listed that had “unknown” as the “how do they function.”  So while doctors prescribe drugs and the FDA approves them, in many many cases they have no idea HOW it works, they just know it works.    I didn’t go through the whole PDR with my sister, but I would venture to guess they have very few drugs that they actually know HOW they work.

And thus it is with homeopathy.  The underlying thinking and science is that in molecular amounts, a substance that would normally cause disease actually tips the immune system just enough to tell it that it needs to fix a problem.  And then it goes about fixing the body on it’s own, as it was created to do. 

It was the pickle jar test, the river/drug issue, and the PDR unknown factors that helped us come to a place where we felt homeopathy was not a “spiritual” issue or mode of healing, but truly a natural one. 

Many on here use calendula or arnica as herbs.  As homeopathics they are greatly diluted and used internally to heal the body.  There are a number of people on here who use homeopathic arnica.  I’ve used it as a pain killer since May for my broken leg and sprained ankle.  There are a few man made remedies, but they are very few and were made for specific purposes. 

I will have to stop this here for now.  So this is a starter on homeopathy.  I think the next thing I need to type out is how homeopathy goes about choosing a remedy.  Just because I can use Calc Phos for my ankle pain, does NOT mean it will work for the person next to me.  Because our pain may be in different forms.  There might be 50 different remedies for pain.  But each remedy has very specific types, places, ways it feels better, ways it feels worse, etc.  So I will try to cover that in the next installment.

For now, it’s bedtime.  J

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:13:37 PM by mykidsmom »
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Millerfamily6

• Learning
Re: Homeopathy - What it is and how it works
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »
Thank you for sharing this info. on homeopathy; I've always wondered about it, and have only used a few things, but not consistently.  I had read one of your posts about Luke, but didn't catch the date of the post.  How is he doing, now?  Did you use only homeopathy for his condition (was it ITP)?  Is that a virus?

Thanks for sharing on here.  This forum has been such a blessing to me, and I feel like this is where I belong as I have noone in my sphere of influence who is like-minded and looks to more natural remedies, and none who question allopathic, traditional medicine. They use every drug an M.D. prescribes them, and how dare I question a Doctor  :o  They think I'm strange.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 01:33:44 PM »
Patti, my dr. mentioned homeopathy again (he beat me to it). I ended up with 1 dose taken at the office of I'm not sure what (he told me but I don't remember) and these three things to be taken together first thing in the am and before bed.

Unda 2- kidney afflictions
Unda 50- female reproductive system
Unda 1000- Thyroid & Parathyroid Degeneration

Basically, he said they were for cleansing the body. The secretary said she goes a long time without menses (my age) and he gave her a female on and she had her period the next day. Crazy.

The thing is it was expensive!! 60 something for all 3. Is that in range? What about your recommendation not to take them together.

I don't know what to think. I may return them. If I had the $$ I'd take them happily, but spending so much right now... :-\
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:49:13 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 08:22:02 PM »
Patti, my dr. mentioned homeopathy again (he beat me to it). I ended up with 1 dose taken at the office of I'm not sure what (he told me but I don't remember) and these three things to be taken together first thing in the am and before bed.

Unda 2- kidney afflictions
Unda 50- female reproductive system
Unda 1000- Thyroid & Parathyroid Degeneration

Basically, he said they were for cleansing the body. The secretary said she goes a long time without menses (my age) and he gave her a female on and she had her period the next day. Crazy.

The thing is it was expensive!! 60 something for all 3. Is that in range? What about your recommendation not to take them together.

I don't know what to think. I may return them. If I had the $$ I'd take them happily, but spending so much right now... :-\

MJ,

Those are not considered homeopathic remedies.  I actually took Undas for quite some time years ago for cleansing.  Those are actually considered tinctured supplements.  Thus, why they are so expensive.  I have yet to pay more then $15 for a remedy that has enough remedy to last me 10yrs at least in each bottle.  Most remedies cost about $10.  Since you only take 2-4 pellets at a time, the remedies themselves usually last a very long time (you do not repeat homeopathic remedies over and over again).   So what he's calling homeopathy, is NOT traditional homeopathy.

There are a number of remedies for depression but they have unique features.  Ignatia is for depression from grief.  Silent brooding, much sighing, sometimes hysteria.  Worse from warmth, coffee, or odor of tabacco.

Aurum is for suicidal depression.  It involves grief, self-reproach, images of one neglecting their duties. and can be worse in the evening.

And from there there are 12 others.  Hmmmmm.  I have most of these.  Perhaps we can chat and I can send you a few pellets to see if it helps?????

Just a thought.  But as you can see, there are lots of different characteristics to choosing a remedy.   Which is why it is so very important to have a good practioner.  I can ask mine if she knows of one in your state (or she does phone consults too).

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 03:28:07 AM »
On the thought of Homeopathy- I did take a homeopathic tincture when I was getting off of antidepressents. It seemed to lift my mood,ect.  

If I had alot of anxiety about something it helped! Yes Homeopathy does work! Just two sprays under my tounge, sometimes I would be going about my work and the worry would lift alot, so that I wasnt tense, ect!!!

http://www.iherb.com/Liddell-Letting-Go-Anxiety-Tension-1-0-fl-oz-30-ml/9647?at=0

They also have a Blues tincture I havent tried that
http://www.vitacost.com/Liddell-Homeopathic-Postpartum-Blues-Spray

Aconitum napellus   eases worry and feelings of restlessness
Ambragrisea   for feelings of despair
Hypericum perforatum   treats feelings of sadness and unhappiness
Ignatia amara   for a tendency to be uncommunicative
Nux vomica   treats a tendency toward isolation
Spigelia anthelmia   for over-sensitivity and issues related to the heart
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 03:30:49 AM by herbs girl »

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 09:27:12 AM »
I stumbled upon something relating to homeopathy, that make a lot of sense.  I never understood taking a tiny bit of something that would normally make a person sick...how does that make a person well?

Well...I'm glad I asked  ;D

I've been doing research relating to immuno-neurological disorders.  In a very simplistic model of the immune system (as it relates to what I'm studying), you've got T cells, and they are the main response internally.  A secondary system is also in place, in case T cells are compromised.  The B cells are normally held in check by the T cells, but when the T cells are not doing their job, they B cells take over as the body's backup defense.  B cells are the inflammation causing immune cells.
So, the third type of cell that I was looking at are called Natural Killer (NK) cells.  These are the hit men of the immune system, and are being looked at extensively for use in cancer treatment.

Anyhoo...scientists used to think that NK cells just floated about in the body after being made in the bone marrow.  But they have since realized that the NK cells congregate (collect) in the peripheral lymph system...of which the tonsils are a part.

So, get this...the NK cells hang out there waiting to pounce on germs as they enter the body, and when they do find one, they release a protein that gives instructions to the T/B cells as to what's about to hit, and how to fight it.

So.  If you've followed me through all that, I think that the homeopathics give the NK cells something to attack and that wakes up the immune system and tells it what to do to knock out the real nasties that may already be laying dormant in the body (nerves and blood).  So the homeopathic remedy is nothing more than a jump start for the immune system to instruct it on how to kill, kill, kill.

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
Gwen, you are basically correct with all that.  What h-pathy does is tip the body off that something is present that shouldn't be.  When the body goes to work fixing that issue, it is now "awake."  The body  then begins to heal other issues that are wrong in the body.  H-pathy works like peeling an onion.  The body will heal the outer layer first (usually the newest symptom one has) and peel away the layers until it gets to the core of the body  - which is the gut.    A remedy is re-dosed when symptoms return because once the body does a certain amount of healing, the body has to be “reminded” again to get the immune system to “stay focused” for a lack of better wording.  In doing this, a person will see their body heal completely over time.  Length of healing depending on the severity of their health issues.  Each time a person takes a remedy dose they’re trying to keep their body “awake” to what it needs to do immunity wise. 

However, you gave it a much more scientific explanation then I could have.   :)

patti
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:17:00 PM by mykidsmom »

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 03:07:35 AM »
Patti, I am so fascinated by this!  Thank you SO much for posting. :)

Do you have any recommended resources/reading/websites on homeopathy that you trust?  I'd love to know more.

G
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 07:32:41 AM »
gwen, 

I have a good home resource book, 'Homeopathic Medicine at Home', by M. Panos, that has a great overview and recommended uses.  The foreword is written by Dr. Robert Mendelsohn, whose opinions I trust. 
Might be able to find it on ebay or amazon. 

We see an MD trained in classical homeopathy in Germany.  Have seen some pretty amazing stuff with him!  He formulates many of his own remedies and also has a compounding pharmacist that he works with. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 07:50:58 AM »
Thank You Ladyhen!!!

<copying to my wish list now>

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 11:03:11 AM »
I find this a very fascinating subject....... How do you find a good Homeopath? Specifically one who isn't into the "voodoo" stuff?  ;) 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »
I find this a very fascinating subject....... How do you find a good Homeopath? Specifically one who isn't into the "voodoo" stuff?  ;) 

It's HARD!!  Word of mouth is best because then it's at least someone you can trust telling you.  My homeopath does take out of state patients via phone (since most treatment is based more on an interview then physical issues).  She does usually request a picture because it helps to see someone.  :-)  Otherwise, ask around to your health friends, etc.

patti

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru

Offline denisew

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 06:08:08 PM »
My dad has a blood disease where he has way to many platelets. The dr. has prescribed chemo starting today. Any ideas on treating this naturally with homeopathy? He is scared to death....

Denise in AL

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 07:14:32 PM »
My dad has a blood disease where he has way to many platelets. The dr. has prescribed chemo starting today. Any ideas on treating this naturally with homeopathy? He is scared to death....

Denise in AL

Denise, you bet this can!  If you want the name of my homeopath, PM me.  She charges $300.  End of story.  No expensive supplements, etc.  The $300 includes the remedy he would need.  Chemo can make the remedy take a little longer to work, but it will work!

patti
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:11:19 AM by mykidsmom »

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 06:05:55 PM »
I just wanted to throw my .02 here for homeopathy.  I have had Graves Disease now for 20 years.  My blood tests were often very high on the thyroid hormones.  For 20 years we used homeopathy for my thyroid, never once taking the drugs the doctors prescribed.  Well, last month I went to a regular MD, which I haven't done for at least 6 years, to see what my thyroid is doing now that I am older.  She took blood, and had an ultrasound done of my thyroid.  I was a little nervous about the ultrasound.  I was sure that with my history, my thyroid would be covered in nodules.  I was shocked when they told me my thyroid was very healthy for my age and condition.  Not one nodule!!  She said even normal thyroids at my age of 42 often have nodules.  My thyroid only showed a little thickening in the middle.  My numbers were all in the "normal" range, but showing a slowing down of the thyroid.  This is what I had suspected with my symptoms.   I give God the credit, and thank Him for providing the homeopathy for us to use, and the wisdom to use it.
I hope this helps someone in their decision to try homeopathy.  It really does work.
mauimom

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 08:06:14 PM »

Love your testimony mauimom! That is fantastic!   ;D  I sure wish we'd known about it sooner!  Keep up the good work.

patti

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 01:37:23 PM »
Mauimom-

What homeopathy products do you use for your thyroid?

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 01:53:25 PM »
We have used the same company for 20 years.  They formulate their own products which go along with their testing procedures.  The company name is Consolidated Wellness Solutions. 

Offline growinginHim

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 10:35:36 PM »
Patti,

In your opinion if one was to try and deal with PCOS, do you think homeopathy would help or do you think other things (changes in diet, etc.) might be more beneficial?

~Rachel

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 07:07:07 PM »
Patti,

In your opinion if one was to try and deal with PCOS, do you think homeopathy would help or do you think other things (changes in diet, etc.) might be more beneficial?

~Rachel

Hey Rachel,

I'm just now seeing this question.  Yes!  H-pathy can definitely help PCOS.  I actually have many of the symptoms of it and I'm straightening out quite well.   I was told it usually takes about 4 months for hormones to completely fix themselves.  Although the remedy works the entire time towards that end.  It's not just magically at 4 months your fixed.  I noticed hormonal differences right away.  But I can tell I'm still not 100% there yet (I'm 2 months in).   H-pathy is perfect for treating hormones and it will treat anything else that's wrong at the same time.

patti

Offline growinginHim

• Learning
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 11:18:33 PM »
Patti,

~Rachel

Hey Rachel,

I'm just now seeing this question.  Yes!  H-pathy can definitely help PCOS.  I actually have many of the symptoms of it and I'm straightening out quite well.   I was told it usually takes about 4 months for hormones to completely fix themselves.  Although the remedy works the entire time towards that end.  It's not just magically at 4 months your fixed.  I noticed hormonal differences right away.  But I can tell I'm still not 100% there yet (I'm 2 months in).   H-pathy is perfect for treating hormones and it will treat anything else that's wrong at the same time.

patti

Thanks for the info Patti!  So if I were to go about trying to help with PCOS would the best way be to try and get in contact with the person you recommend for h-pathy, or is there some pellet that is specifically recommended for such hormonal imbalances.

~Rachel

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 03:06:39 PM »
Patti,

~Rachel

Hey Rachel,

patti

Thanks for the info Patti!  So if I were to go about trying to help with PCOS would the best way be to try and get in contact with the person you recommend for h-pathy, or is there some pellet that is specifically recommended for such hormonal imbalances.

~Rachel

You would want to use an h-path.  A VERY good one.  I can recommend mine because I know her very well and know she is good.  She's also treating several other welltellers.  Otherwise, I can't help much with recommendations.  Just know that just because someone says they practice homeopathy doesn't mean they know what they're doing!  It took us 3 before we found a good one. 

patti

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 07:35:21 AM »
You may notice some of your posts or comments have been removed from this thread. This is  due to violation of rule # 7. Please review the rules Rules and Guidelines for WellTellMe 2009

Explanations and theories for or against the physical processes of homeopathic medicine are welcome. Discussion on religious or moral appropriateness does not fit the purpose of this forum. If you wish to discuss please do so privately or off forum.

If you have any questions or comments regarding this action please feel free to contact me through a Private Message.
~boysmama

Offline SongGirl

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 05:46:32 AM »
Hi!

Homeopathy appeals to many because of it's more "natural" than many of the drugs and stuff out there. However, there are concerning connections with homeopathy that you may wish to be aware of. Here are some links. Two are from a Christian perspective and one is secular.

http://www.watchman.org/na/homeopth.htm
http://www.inplainsite.org/html/homeopathy.html
http://www.holisticonline.com/homeopathy/homeo_how_it_works.htm

BTW, not trying to step on anyone's toes here. I realize that different families feel free to do different things. Just trying to help you to make wise decisions regarding yours.

Personally, I am uncomfortable with the potential occult connections with homeopathy. Although they may work, sometimes we need to be asking ourselves why they work. I totally understand that even if you take homeopathic remedies, that does not mean you endorse the occult. My family did them for a while too . . . until we came across information like this.

Hope you make a vaccination decision you're comfortable with, and more importantly that everyone stays healthy!  :)

-T

ADMIN NOTE:  it has been brought to my attention that this post might violate rule #7.  after reviewing the content, i am going to let it stand as the poster has taken efforts to inform without sermonizing or making any absolute or discrimantory statements.  

please refrain from debating the information offered in this post, but please, feel free to use the information for your educational benefit.  if you disagree with the information given, that's okay.  use it or ignore it at your own discretion.  

~hb
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:16:23 AM by healthybratt »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 01:52:57 PM »

Most of what you will find on the web is bunk in regards to h-pathy.  When we did our research we went back to the 1600's and 1700's before Samuel Hanhemann (sp) came up with a name for it.  I would recommend the book Homeopathy and the Christian.  While not written by a christian (although I'm sure he calls himself that) he does an excellent job of pointing out that true classical  homeopathy sticks with the physics and science of it.  Anything that practioners add to it (of which occultic stuff at times is) is NOT classical homeopathy.  There is a difference and we found it important to understand that.  Once a person understands there is science to it (it's VERY physics oriented) then it is no different then allopathic medicine except in it's administration and source of remedy.  There are some MD's that practice the occult too, but it doesn't mar every person that is an MD because that is not what the standard is.  I would seriously consider WHO my homeopathic practioner just as I did what/who my medical doctors are.  There is no difference with homeopathy in that respect. 

Here is one article on the science of it.  http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/dilution-theory-may-answer-homeopathy-riddle-616300.html

There are multiple others regarding different aspects of it.  I recommend not using too broad of a brush when painting your picture because you have missed a lot of other information that is not mystical, spiritual or otherwise but is logical and helpful.  We fasted and prayed long and hard on using this as we would have rather given our son to God then to do something that would spiritually harm him. 

Offline mrsmjf

• Learning
    • Sword Seek
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 05:14:32 PM »
This is something that I am prayerfully considering as well. My husband doesn't believe that homeopathy can work at all but is totally on board with herbs and other natural treatments. I have been suffering from some kind of thyroid/ adrenal issue and I am seeing a naturopath who also practices homeopathy in a month. There is something about homeopathy that rubs me the wrong way but I'm not sure if its just me or the fact that it seems like it can cure anything and that excites me and scares me... Certainly lots of things have occult histories but are not actually occult or pagan unless we practice them that way, like Christmas trees for example... I do not mean to violate any rules, I'm just working out these thoughts as I sit here. If anyone has any more thoughts on this and would like to PM me please do. I'm open to learning about h-pathy, the good or the potential bad that there may be.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »

It sounds as if you are going through some of the same struggles we did when it came to treating our son.  I think no one can "convince" you or your husband.  That really has to come from much prayer, reading and consideration.  I have friends who no matter how much evidence they've seen it work in our boy and there was no voodoo involved, still won't touch the stuff.  And they continue to suffer with ailments as a result.  As with all healthcare, it is a decision only you and your husband can make. 

That said, I do not trust an ND that also practices homeopathy.  The reason why is they typically have had 6mos. to a year of schooling with their ND degree vs. the 3-5yrs that a classical homeopath takes.  They use a limited number of standard remedies and don't have much experience with some of the more odd ones.  My husband is a great case in this way.  The remedy he ended up needing was not even close to "standard" and we could only get it from Austria.  It is Samarium Phosphorus which is a mineral off of the periodic table.  An ND who's not had much training would never be able to figure this out.  They'd keep throwing remedies at him wondering why he wasn't getting well.  This did happen with our boy when we first started.  An h-path gave him several remedies that were not his constitutional and they just did not help.  He was sick, we needed a cure.  So, all that to say, make sure you verify that your ND that is using h-pathy is using classical constitutional homeopathy.  Otherwise, everything else will treat issues acutely but never bring healing right at the very core of your body which is what you really need.   We are treating my thyroid and adrenals as well (in addition to a few other health issues) and I'm doing well on my remedy. 

"Let every man be convinced in his own mind."  That is the place you and your husband will have to come to.  But don't give up the reading/studying because not only did h-pathy save my boy's life, it is healing our entire family of some pretty severe food allergies, heavy metal issues, etc.   And I'm not sure too many are on this board anymore, but there are quite a few Welltellers using it now as well with good success.   :)

Blessings,

patti

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 06:08:01 PM »
Attention patti!

I am reading about oxalate toxicity on a Yahoo group, and a member just asked for a recommendation for a homeopathic doctor.  I am hoping you might go over there and post the contact info for the one you are using.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates/message/73497

Or I can link to your WTM post about her....

~~~

As an aside, the Low Oxalate Diet seems to be very helpful for a wide range of symptoms, but long-term adherence does not help one regain the ability to handle oxalates.  That indicates to me that homeopathy may be needed to achieve deeper healing than the LOD protocol can attain.  You are familiar with that scenario, yes?  As long as one follows a strict diet/supplement plan symptoms are minor, but an infraction causes a setback, sometimes undoing months of progress.  That is managing symptoms but not really healing to normal function, I think.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
Thanks, patti!  I will pass it along to the Yahoo group.