Author Topic: Jet Lag  (Read 4722 times)

Offline growinginHim

• Learning
Jet Lag
« on: September 01, 2010, 03:46:59 PM »
Our family is blessed to be able to go to Scotland.  Scotland is 8 hours ahead of us (if it is 2PM where we are, it is 10PM in Scotland).  Anyways, that is to say, do any of you have suggestions as to herbs to take or tips to give to help prevent jet lag (i.e. drink lots of water, etc.).  Thanks so much for your help! :) ;)

Moderators, I hope I put this in the right location.  If not, could you please move the topic to where it should go?  Thanks!  :)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
Re: Jet Lag
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 07:03:49 AM »
My family did a trip to Germany a few months back. We have 4 little ones-at that time 8, 5, 3 and not yet 1.  My sis in law who lives there made the suggestion (AND IT WORKED) to get an overnight flight. It was an 11 hour flight so we had lunch and then dinner. After dinner we let the kids read books and watch a movie and the got them ready for bed. They drank water went potty and I gave them Calms Forte to help. It was about 11 ish our time (way past their bed time). The littles had their blankies and the olders got nice and comfy. They fell asleep and stayed asleep pretty much the whole night. The cabin was lights were dimmed. Oh and the offered water the whole night which was nice. By morning time (Germany time- it was more like afternoon I think) they turned the lights on everyone opened their windows and they served breakfast. Made it feel normal you know? In actuallity it was 4 in the morning for us. It worked pretty well- tricked the body- at least for the kids. Well we seemed to do ok also. There was a little drowsiness on the kids part but they were too excited to give in. Every night for the first few nights there I would give them Calm's Forte to settle down and go to sleep. Took no time at all for them to get into the same schedule as their cousins. Coming home was a differant matter. We didn't have the same flight schedule so we did have some bad jet lag then. I just limited naps and kept up the calm's forte. took about 5 days to really shake it. Nothing to keep us going like the days in Germany.
Anyways- don't know if the flight option is even in option for ya but that's all I got! HA

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 04:02:01 PM »
I've found it helpful to eat lightly, drink plenty of fluid on the trip, and avoid caffeine completely.
If you arrive in the morning, eat heartily, have some caffeine and an short, early afternoon nap if you feel like you won't be able to last until bedtime in the country you have arrived in. Avoid going to bed extremely early!!  Plan on an engaging, but non-stressful evening and try to go to bed on schedule with the new place. Let the curtains partially open so that the morning sun rising will reset your body clock.

Coming home I've always been exhausted from being so active and busy, and take naps AND sleep the night through no problem!

Offline growinginHim

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »
Thanks so much for your help everyone!  :-*  I plan to print this out to remind myself of your tips while on the trip.  ;)  I got the melatonin today, but unfortunately was not able to find the Calm's Forte.  >:(  Praise the Lord we have an overnight flight.  Sounds like that is the way to go.  Well, I'm off to finish the last minute packing!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 02:22:44 PM »
This might be to late to help but they say that Lemongrass EO helps.   Put some on a tissue and carry it with you and when you are feeling drowsy have a little sniff.   I love the smell anyway so sometimes just use it as a pick me up.
Have fun.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side