Author Topic: Foot Pain: Causes & Cures  (Read 25175 times)

Offline naturalmom

• Adept
Foot Pain: Causes & Cures
« on: October 06, 2006, 07:32:33 AM »
hi
i don't know where to place this.....so i am putting it here
i have a pain that is immensely painful only in my right foot, tho
and only on the bottom of my heel area
it hurts to walk on it barefoot so i most wear my crocs
they are the only shoes that keep me from hurting so bad
i am going to try and find the book that someone mentioned on here
called The Diabetes Solution by Dr. Bernstein as i am having a hard time controling my sugar levels and i am about 25 pounds overweight
it really is very painful, i feel like i am falling apart now that i am over 40;)
i guess what i am asking is, has anyone ever heard of something like this

"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."  by Ronald Reagan
In God I Trust
My Intro

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Foot Pain: Causes & Cures
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 07:37:22 AM »
How long have you had it?  Could it be a stone bruise.  These can be pretty painful and tend to heal slower than other bruises. :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 07:46:24 AM »
Sounds like a heel spur to me. 

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 07:49:26 AM »
You could also be in the early stages of developing a plantar wart on your heel.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 09:41:45 AM »
During this past pregnancy I started having severe occasional pain on the sides of my heel, the outside of my foot.  It would burn like a badly pulled muscle.  It was on one foot only for quite a while, then the other foot joined in.  Now I can't remember the last time it hurt, maybe a month ago?  My baby is almost 5 mos now.  I'm glad it's gone, but I still wonder what it was. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 06:47:38 PM »

Hi,

I think I've got a pretty good stab at this for you.  Does it hurt it's absolute worst after you've been off of your feet for awhile?  ie. after being in bed, sitting for long periods of time and then standing up?  It really sounds like plantars fascitis to me.  I had it with my last pregnancy and it's HURTS.  The good news is that usually stretches and wearing good shoes will heal it.  Me being me (as my husband says), I required surgery to cut the tendon that had just seized itself tight.  But I tried for a year to work it out before doing the surgery.  I also had a broken toe so they just did the two surgeries at once, otherwise I might have waited longer.  I also wore an orthotic boot for awhile.  That was a real pain but it did do a good job of stretching the tendon out.  I got it from a podiatrist.

So, first thing is really good, well fitted shoes.  Usually something that has a substantial sole (like running shoes).  I had mine fitted at an actual running shoe store and it was spendy.  I think $80.  Eeeks.  Second best, just find a good shoe (not cross trainer - running type) with a good sole. 

Second, you can stretch the plantar fascia tendon.  Put your hands on the wall with your feet out at an angle and push towards the wall until you can feel the stretch in your foot.  It actually feels really good and will make your foot feel better. 

Third, weight is a biggie.  I'm with you.  I want to lose about 40 (although I'd take 20).  Dr.Bernsteins book was one that I recommended awhile ago.  I have been using his diet for about a year now and doing pretty well.  I have other issues that are making weight loss difficult (hormone related) but my sugar numbers are great and I feel much much better that way!  I'll warn you, it's not easy doing his diet, but it does work and when you read his book you'll understand why.  I have to limit my carbs to 12 carbs per meal (he recommends less then that!).  One major problem using his diet fixed for me was falling asleep at the wheel.  I was terrible about this and never could understand why.  When I fixed my diet I haven't had trouble.  I can tell when I've not eaten well because I instantly have trouble falling asleep at the wheel again. 

Okay, I think this is enough for now.   ;D  Take care.

Patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline gloryganic

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 03:43:40 AM »
I agree that it sounds like plantar fascitis.  It's good that you're tending to it early, because if you try to ignore it or put it off, it can eventually become a heel spur. Only surgery can remove a heel spur.  Agree also with the importance of a good supportive shoe and stretching.  There is such a thing called a Strassburg sock that can be worn at night which keeps your toes in a position that doesn't allow them to point downward.  This pointing position is what causes the muscles to tighten and make that first step out of bed in the morning extremely painful.  If the stretching and good shoes don't seem to help, physical therapy is an option.  A foot doctor will most likely try to inject it with cortisone, but I know from experience that in the long run, that's not the best option.  Physical therapy is much less invasive.  They may use ultrasound or iontophoresis (both non-invasive ways to help the pain or reduce swelling), and they'll show you exercises and stretches to do at home.  I try to steer clear of doctors whenever possible, and I wish I had known about the option of physical therapy before it was too late.

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2006, 05:36:06 AM »
I am having similar pain in my left foot.  It is centralized to where my achili's tendon connects to the bottom of my foot.  It also causes bruise like pain when I touch the sides of my heal.  I have consulted my chiropractor and he said to ICE IT!  No heat, just cold, and often.  I rotate frozen soft packs, frozen veggies, frozen cranberries, even a frozen Capri Sun that was given to me - you get the idea.  Rolling your foot across a frozen juice can helps to ice and stretch at the same time.  At first my foot had a hard time with the cold, but now I hardly notice it.  Before getting out of bed in the morning or before getting up after sitting for awhile, rotate your foot and move it up and down.  This is to stretch it.  I have noticed improvement, except when I wear shoes with little to no support.  I think this came to be after a summer of wearing sandles and going barefoot when I knew better! :-\

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 06:21:33 AM »
It really sounds like plantars fascitis to me.
Here's the thread on Plantar faciaitus
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 07:16:25 AM »
I agree w/ the PF diagnosis (also called bone spurs)...I have it, and contrast soaks have helped immensely (ice cold, lukewarm, alternating).

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 07:25:14 AM »
I have very, very high arches and used to beg my husband to rub my feet and calves every night because they hurt so bad.  He saw an ad for a place called the Good Feet Store and we have one about 20 minutes away.  

So I went in and they placed a piece of white paper on an ink pad and had me stand 30 feet away and walk across it.  I had a heel and a pad and NOTHING in between.  The salesman brought out some Alznner's supports and put them in my tennis shoes (I wear Salomon all-terrain hiking tennis shoes) and I cried.  I had not been able to walk without pain in years.  I had just gotten used to it.  

After wearing the tennis shoes all day for about a month, the pain went away.  I am now able to wear a pair of Chacco sandals (very supportive) most days, and I wear the Alznner's about once a week or if I am going to be doing a lot of walking that day (grocery store, amusement parks, etc.)   I bought them about 3-4 years ago, and I have not had any pain since.

They were expensive, but they have a 20 year warranty and they are worth 4 times their weight in gold.  You can also return them after 30 days or something like that if you don't see a difference.  You can read about them at goodfeetstore.com
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline mamaketler

• Adept
  • Jumping on the bed is fun!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 09:23:26 AM »
For some time now I have had the worst pain in my heels. I am maybe 50lbs over weight but I am slowly loosing it. I am a mother of 4 little ones (5 to 10 months) so I am always walking and standing.
 I have a pain in my heels that does not seem to go away. When I rest and then get up it is worse. Sometimes when my feet dangle they throb. It is so bad that I actually have to stand up on them to relive the pain. I try to wear my shoe when they get to where they start hurting real bad.
 I am at a loss I am not sure what to do. Or where to start.
Help???
 Thanks
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 09:30:45 AM by healthybratt »
Did you know that I am SUPER MOM?

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 09:36:16 AM »
I used to have that problem.  Then I bought a nice pair of sneakers, nikes, and wore them almost every day, all day.  I replace them whenever I get pregnant. :)  I haven't had a problem since!  It is DEFINITELY worth the investment!  You can do so much more if your feet dont' hurt!  and you can get used to wearing them all the time if you're not a shoe person.  It's so worth it!

Offline Kristin_19_78

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 10:55:09 AM »
sounds like plantar fasciitis which can also develope into heel spurs, if yours hasn't already. some great info on stretches, treatment, and prevention on www.webmd.com  i just read a bunch of it for my pastor. and the advice about wearing a good pair of shoes ALL the time is right on!

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 10:58:35 AM »
Sorry this is so long - I'll try to learn to shorten this! ::)  But I thought this might help you too!  For me, the relatively low price made it worth the risk of trying!

For what it's worth, when I was fighting tendon fasciitus (sp?), I found something that gave me immediate, temporary ( and cheap) relief.  A man at church told me to try these shoe inserts called Heel Halos.  They come 2 in a package, and are around $5-6 a package; I've found them at CVS and Walmart so far.  When I put them on, I could at least walk immediately without noticeably limping.  I found they provided such great relief, I would only wear shoes that I could wear them in; since they were cheap, I bought a couple of pairs to have them in each set of shoes that I could wear without pain..  I wore them for months and months whenever I was up; I even wore my tennis shoes right until I went to bed because I could not go barefoot.  After about a year and a half, I found I could briefly wear tennis shoes without them.  Now, about 2 years later, I only wear them when my heels start to feel sore.
Since I was never officially diagnosed with tendon fasciitus/heel spurs, I can't guarantee they will help.  The man at church was diagnosed with heel spurs, and these really helped him.  All I know is that it felt like I was walking directly on the bone on my heel - first on one foot, and then eventually the other, and it went on for over a year.  I never had to go for official treatment - I just knew I couldn't afford expensive heel inserts, and I definitely did not want to go for the cortisone shots they might have wanted to do.  I hope maybe this might help him in the meantime!

Offline lynn

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 01:41:17 PM »
You need to wear the heel cushions, and get  good, comfy pair of sneakers and do heel stretches to loosen up the tendon.  When you get up in the a.m. stretch your heel by flexing your foot( point your leg out in front of you stretch your toes up toward your knee) Do this several x's a day.  Also loosing weight will help.  If it gets too bad an ortho doc will put you in a walking cast to immobilize the tendon and prescribe an anti- inflammatory :o not fun!  I'm not real knowledgable on any herbal cures but I'm sure someone on this site can tell you what is good to decrease inflammation.  Hope this helps :)

Offline Kari

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 05:17:18 PM »
The book PAIN FREE by Pete Egoscue has a section on feet.  The non-impact exercises (really stretches) actually heal your feet.  Our library has it, Barnes and Noble has it, and
Amazon.com.  It has helped so many of our friends we actually have to keep a loaner copy circulating.

http://www.amazon.com/Pain-Free-Revolutionary-Stopping-Chronic/dp/0553379887/sr=8-1/qid=1163128460/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7916789-6478526?ie=UTF8&s=books

I could hardly get out of bed from heal pain.  I saw results the first day; by the third day I was able to stop the exercises (take about 10 minutes) and haven't had problems for a couple of years since.

Hope you find some relief and solution.  Kari
Proverbs 23:26   My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.

Offline countrygirl

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 06:48:28 PM »
My husband has PF and we were just searching for a "cure" the other day to hopefully avoid a cortisone shot.  We found one strange remedy in our brief search and here it is:  soak brown paper in organic apple cider vinegar and place it in the heel of your shoe.  ?? He said an old man told him about it and it worked.  I don't remember how long he did it but now he just pours the vinegar in his shoe if his heel bothers him.   

My dh has experienced relief by doing the toe stretch before rising from bed and wearing shoes with a good arch support.  We are going to try and find some heel halos.  (thanks!)
Also, my dh did go to a podiatrist and the dr. x-rayed his foot and recommended the arch supports and tennis shoes (new balance).  The next step is a shot. Yuck!

BTW, if anybody knows why the acv would work, would you share?  I am new to all this stuff and I am amazed at the simplicity of things sometimes.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 06:57:01 PM by countrygirl »

Offline mamaketler

• Adept
  • Jumping on the bed is fun!
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 04:57:40 AM »
you know now that I think about it. I have a pair of addids that I wear and I have no problems as long as I wear them but bare  foot is a killer. So is flat shoes, ie flip flops and dress shoes. I will defiantly look into the soles for my shoes. and the exercises. Anything for relief at this point.
 It just keeps getting worse. First it was later in the day and when I wear flat shoes or barefeet.... but now it is just all the time. I can hardly walk in the morning, and when I sit for long while ( which is rare   ;))
 Oh how I long for relief!!!!
 Thank you all for you wonderful advice. I will practice this!!!
 Again thank you!!!
 Mamamk ;D
Did you know that I am SUPER MOM?

Offline johnnygirl

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 03:07:07 AM »
(Posting for my mom) I too had sore heels and used the support shoes and everything until a friend told me that it is actually a lack of calcium that causes this. My friend told me to take two calcium pills and one iboprofin before I went to bed. (It is important to do it at this time because it takes care of the inflamation.) I did it for five night and it was all healed. It has been over a year and it is still fine! I was sooo thankful! God bless and all the best. Anna 

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 05:10:03 PM »
Is it the muscles in your feet, or the joints/bones?
Sarahlarae

Offline uptrapperdansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 05:39:26 PM »
just a quick suggestion....look into bone spurs. HTH

~dan's girl
Check out my testimony song!
A true story of God's delivering power!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab-MUxfeWJo

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 06:40:31 PM »
just a quick suggestion....look into bone spurs. HTH

~dan's girl
Heel Spurs
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »
plantars fascitis.. I had this and actually still do if I don't wear the right shoes often enough.

At its worst, the pain was so bad I would crawl to the bathroom in the middle of the night cuz I just couldn't walk. It was bad!!!!
The biggest help for me was consistent anti-inflammatory (naproxim sodium was most effective) for about 2 weeks, flexing the heal before I got out of bed (you have to be sitting up though) and constantly (right up until I got into the shower before bed) wearing shoes with an added arch support and a cushy heal.

That was 7 years ago.  I still wear shoes almost all day.  I still use an arch support (just one from Walmart).  I have found that Sketcher shoes have given me the best support, comfort and cushion/shock absorption.  They cost around $60 but even I, the one who can't stand spending money on myself, think it is a killer deal to be able to walk pain free.  In fact, my morning will be starting sort of sucky and then I'll put my sketchers on and suddenly I feel full of energy and vim and vigor!! 

When I am wearing dress shoes or sandals, I try to limit it to 2-3 hours or my feet will hurt; not as bad as before but any pain is a waste of my time and energy if I can avoid it.  If possible, I use my inserts in the dress shoes.

YoopreMama

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2007, 01:34:53 AM »
I have been helped by chiropractics on my foot...he did some pressure stuff to loosen up the tendon (?) that was tight and pulling.  Marvelous help.  I also wear thicker heeled shoes more...no more barefeet so much, esp. in the basement on the concrete floor ironing!   :o

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 10:20:12 AM »
My hubby has been having constant foot pain in the pad of his foot, where the toes begin. After limping around like a wounded duck, I finally convinced him to go see his Grandma's reflexologist. I had a feeling his back was out of alignment or he had a stress fracture. (He is a bit of a baby, he was afraid it would hurt...good thing he didn't have to give birth ;) ) At his appointment the guy rubbed his feet and pushed on some points and asked him to tell him when it hurt. The man was able to tell my hubby had back problems and shoulder problems by looking at his feet! He also said hubby had an inflamed colon, but I believe that was from all the hot peppers from the garden he ate the night before. Anyway, he needs to go back next week but he is having some relief. We were very excited.
So, the moral of the story, just because it's a pain in your foot, it doesn't mean that is the root of the problem. I guess for every body part there is a pressure point in your foot. Our bodies are so amazing!
Jessica

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 08:34:23 PM »
I tried to get into the "heel spurs" thread but it said it was gone so I'm posting this here. 

I've got horrible pain in the ankle area of my left foot.  I had plantars facitis years ago (surgery fixed it) and this is not it.  My husband thinks it's a bone spur in my ankle bone.  So I have two questions.  I read lots of stuff about using comfrey for bone breaks, etc.  But is there anything I can do for an actual bone spur and is there some way to tell if it's actually broken off and lodged itself into the joint?  The pain hits on the inside portion of my ankle right where that little bone bump is.  I don't feel any extra bone there or anything but the pain is getting so bad I can't walk at times.  Is an x-ray the only way to tell or is there some way I can just treat this and it will go away?  I did restart taking my cal/mags which I had stopped a long time ago because I know bone spurs can be caused by a calcium deficiency.  But I need to know what to do now for the pain.  Is it possible to make a bone spur go away once you've already got it?

thanks,

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

YoopreMama

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 01:20:34 AM »
I'm so sorry for your pain, MKM.  :(  Would this thread help at all?

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,553.msg111409.html#msg111409

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2008, 06:17:07 AM »
Thanks, yooper.  I did try that thread but nothing there seemed to match up.  Anyone else have any ideas?  Is it possible to get rid of a bone spur in the ankle once you've got one (besides surgery)?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 11:19:59 AM »
bump