Author Topic: Are there any natural hair conditioner recipes?  (Read 11583 times)

Offline corrabelle

• Wide Eyed
    • The Mayberry Sparrow
Are there any natural hair conditioner recipes?
« on: July 22, 2010, 08:53:11 AM »
I have pretty long hair and was wondering if anyone had any good conditioner recipes. I've tried vinegar, but it seems a little too rough. Combing my hair after a shower is already a battle, the vinegar didn't help any! It did leave my scalp feeling awesome though.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: Are there any natural hair conditioner recipes?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »
I have pretty long hair and was wondering if anyone had any good conditioner recipes. I've tried vinegar, but it seems a little too rough. Combing my hair after a shower is already a battle, the vinegar didn't help any! It did leave my scalp feeling awesome though.

Did you use the vinegar diluted?  My daughters and I all have extremely long, thick hair and use about a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a quart of water as a final rinse that we leave on.  Our hair is so easy to comb after showering.    My blond daughter substitutes a tsp. of lemon juice for her acid rinse. 

For hair care we have found that we don't need to wash the entire length of hair, only our scalp.  Rinse gently after washing and then pour on the vinegar/water and leave it on.   Also, we use wide toothed combs, start with combing the ends and work up gradually, and comb while wet.   You can add a drop of essential oil to the rinse water for scent. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline corrabelle

• Wide Eyed
    • The Mayberry Sparrow
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:23:18 AM »
I did dilute it, but perhaps not enough. I am blonde, is the lemon better for blonde hair? I only use a wide tooth comb on my hair.
I've also been taking fish oil for skin/hair dryness.
I do only do a scalp shampoo, If I shampooed the length of my hair regularly it would dry out most likely.

Offline 6psnapod

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »
I  have long coarse very thick hair and a trick I've learned is to comb it out while the shower spray is "raining" down on it- my back to the shower head. Or, with my side to the shower head.  It combs out very easily. The only drawback is that for some reason doing this makes my hair hold a lot more water and takes longer to dry.

I always use conditioner as well though.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 03:00:49 AM »
I never diluted my vinegar rinse that much either, but I've never had any problems.  Here's what I do:
1.  I brush my hair out before I shower, and then I wait for it to be mostly dry before I comb it with a wide-tooth comb
2.  I use a quality bar of soap by One With Nature instead of shampoo
3.  After towel drying my hair, I rub aloe vera into the ends and any dry parts.  Aloe is very moisturizing and it also works as a mild hold hair gel, but it will comb smooth without any buildup, too.
HTH   ~L

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:12:55 AM »
 I dunk the tip of my fingers on one hand into Coconut oil and rub my hands together then rub them through my hair. Not the scalp, but just the lower length, before I try to comb it.
   There are times i have used a bit too much, but it is usually very nice and soft and does not get oily either (except for those times i use da bit too much or got too close to my scalp). I have stopped using conditioner all together now and use this for the most part.
Tennille

Offline motherhen7

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 05:33:28 PM »
tynnille,
I know that in India coconut oil is what they use in their hair too, or even olive oil.  Their hair is very thick and strong, and the coconut oil really seems lovely in their hair. Is your hair fine or thick?  Do you use it on your hair when it is wet, towel dried or fully dry?

I think I'll try it again- I just don't want to look oily.

Mine is fine and very straight and has a nice smooth natural texture but it doesn't seem to suck up the oils, I also do have to wash daily- if I skip a day I still look like a teenager ::)  My Mum was the same and she is now in her mid 50's and can wash every second now that she puts some permanent highlights in her hair.  Seems to dry it out enough.  I have tried all the tricks about washing less frequently, I just produce plenty of oil, my skin tends to be moist too, though I rarely get a pimple thanks to all these children- my Mum still gets pimples at 50.  ok, getting off the subject....

I've tried jojoba oil too.  What i have done is use the coconut oil or jojoba as a heated conditioning treatment, wrapped in plastic and a warm towel for an hour or even over night, then shampooed as usual.  Works well that way for me- but usually takes two washes to get it out.  Good for dandruff as well if you massage it into the scalp and leave over night with some lemon juice.

I was thinking of making a conditioner for lightweight hair like mine using some oils and nettles, chamomile and plain henna, that sort of thing that I have on hand around the place.  I'll let you know if I have any success- I'm picky  ;D  I do like the light conditioners, but the vinegar just doesn't  leave my hair tangle free- like store bought (good health food shop) conditioner.  If anyone has tried making a recipe that resembles store conditioner please post your recipe!  I hate paying so much money for good quality conditioner, that isn't loaded with Dimethicone and waxes that build up.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:32:34 PM by motherhen6 »

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 02:05:42 PM »
My daughters and I have long hair......theirs is extremely long (past their waist).   We use aloe vera gel with some rosemary oil mixed in.  Just spray it on towel dried hair.   It isn't really like commercial conditioner but it is good for your hair and helps when combing out.   I always finger comb my hair when it is wet.  HTH
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 04:08:35 PM »
I just read today that milk kefir is great for hair.  This do not use shampo or conditioner they use milk kefir and it makes you hair beautiful and shiny she said.

Offline motherhen7

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:12:06 PM »
So how do you use the milk kefir?  Like a leave in conditioner treatment then rinse?

I've given up on the milk kefir- no one liked it.  WE are happy drinking the tibicos though.  I guess I could have saved the milk kefir grains for hair ::)

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 03:48:05 PM »
seizethedayz.blogspot.com/2008/09/washing-my-hair-with-kefir-and-kombucha.html

She says soak your hair in either kombucha or kefir.  Rinse throughly.  Do not use every day or your hair will start to smell vinegary.  She says the kombucha has caused her hair to become thicker and less grey.

Has anyone tried this?

Offline motherhen7

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 06:26:45 PM »
I just tried the Kombucha today, mostly a green tea Kombucha that was a bit too vinegary to drink.  Seems fine, even though a little flat.  My hair is fine texture so it is very sensitive to anything different. 

If I keep it up I'll report back.  I have a gallon (4lt)   that is not really nice to drink.  I was only going to toss it anyway.  SO might as well pour it on my hair before it goes down the drain ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 06:21:55 AM »
I did dilute it, but perhaps not enough. I am blonde, is the lemon better for blonde hair? I only use a wide tooth comb on my hair.
I've also been taking fish oil for skin/hair dryness.
I do only do a scalp shampoo, If I shampooed the length of my hair regularly it would dry out most likely.

shampoo may be the problem.
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,429.msg104.html#msg104
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 05:39:31 AM »
I second the aloe vera.  My hair is way to fine to ever use any oil because it just weighs it down, but the aloe is very light and non-greasy.  I'd love to try kefir, though.

Offline laurieredv

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 04:01:38 AM »
I just tried the Kombucha today, mostly a green tea Kombucha that was a bit too vinegary to drink.  Seems fine, even though a little flat.  My hair is fine texture so it is very sensitive to anything different. 

If I keep it up I'll report back.  I have a gallon (4lt)   that is not really nice to drink.  I was only going to toss it anyway.  SO might as well pour it on my hair before it goes down the drain ;)

I am curious. I've often contemplated using kombucha for a hair rinse. Did you continue to use your bucha on your hair? What were your results?