Author Topic: Oral Yeast Infectinon while Breastfeeding - WHAT CAN I DO?!  (Read 4522 times)

Offline andraya3

• Wide Eyed
I'm desperate!! I got an oral yeast infection when I was pregnant - right at the end of my pregnancy and didn't want to take any antibiotics, so I took a bunch of probiotics and grapefruit seed extract instead - it slowed it down but didn't make it go away. After the baby was born things have gotten worse. The yeast infection in my mouth won't go away no matter what. I am currently not eating breads and sugars - except for a few fruits now and then. But I'm so hungry all the time, and I've heard you're not really supposed to do a diet while nursing. I'm currently on a 2 week dose of Nystatin antibiotics...mainly because I'm desperate and I don't know what else to do. It's not working though - in fact, I think it's getting worse.

If anyone has any advice on what I can do while nursing (I'm already doing probiotics and grapefruit seed extract), please let me know...I'd love to know what would work...and I'd love to quit "starving" due to not being able to eat a lot of foods.

By the way, I am exclusively breastfeeding still - my baby is 2 months old. She does not have a yeast infection, and as far as I can tell I have no other signs of yeast except in my mouth (so, no vaginal yeast problems, and no yeast on my nipples). Please help!!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Oral Yeast Infectinon while Breastfeeding - WHAT CAN I DO?!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:39:44 PM »
wow, that about stumps me! the only thing i can think of is genetian violet, but that would make your mouth purple.  they mostly use it for babies.  i hope others have some ideas!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline alexsa

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 07:56:44 AM »
one thing that was worked for me and others in the past is mixing a little olive oil with a few drops of tea tree oil and applying to the effected/affected areas.  Hope you get over this soon.  When I have had problems with yeast it helps to eat no fruit at all.  For at least three weeks.  So for breakfast I would have a couple of eggs and maybe oatmeal plain, and lunch some kind of protein with veggies or a salad or rice pasta with tomato sauce, then dinner protein and veggies and salad.  It's strict but it helps me.  I will pray for you.

Offline ARTfarmer

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:38:17 AM »
A black walnut tincture swished around or painted inside your mouth with a Q-tip will help kill the yeast growing.  I'd not recommend ingesting it while you're nursing.  Do it as often as you can.  Keep doing the probiotics and GSE, it is helping...consider upping your doses of those as well.  Eat as much protein as you can so you're not hungry all the time.

Offline Tikvah

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »
sorry that you are going through this.  My dd and I struggled with thrush awhile back.  I would treat your mouth the same way I treated the babies mouth.  This is what I did.  Get your hands on some "white oak bark" dried herb, (you can order it online from mountainroseherbs.com)  make a decoction by boiling about 1 oz dried herb in 1.5 pints boiling water, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes then strain out herbs.  Now for the baby I put this tea into a fine mist amber bottle sprayer and would spray it liberally in her mouth many times throughout the day and after nursing.  When I did this the thrush was visibly gone in under 24 hours.  For an adult you could try spraying but I would also take a mouthful and swish it and gargle it and hold it in the mouth for awhile.  One thing I discovered about the yeast is that it is persistent.  I kept thinking I had beaten it (on me especially) but then I would realize that it was still there.  If I were you I would:  Swish and gargle White Oak Bark tea; Swish and gargle salt water; keep up with the GSE, Keep taking LOTS of probiotics;  Continue steering clear of refined flours, grains and ALL sweetener;  Don't starve yourself  :)  make sure you are eating plenty of good foods -- veggies, meats, eggs, YOGURT or KEFIR, cheese...; Swish and gargle with hydrogen Peroxide (I put this in baby's mouth with a toothbrush to help erradicate her thrush); Coconut oil is antifungal, I put this in babies mouth also; Incorporate lots of garlic into your diet, raw is best ; I personally decided NOT to use gentian violet and would advise against it.  Above all, when you think you have it beat -- DON"T STOP your treatment plan, keep going for maybe 2 weeks longer.  Yeast is tough.  I hope this helps bring you some relief.

Offline amy

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 02:50:35 AM »
Are you sure it's just yeast?  It sounds like a possible allergic reaction to something.  Yeast infections can be a symptom of exposure to an allergen.  There's a homeopathic remedy called "histaminum hydrochloricum" that has been effective on a variety of allergic reactions.  Start by taking 5 pellets 5 times a day for 2 days, then 3 pellets 5 times a day for 2 days.  After these 4 days, you'll know if it's helping or not.  You can continue the 3 pellets 5 times a day for up to 7 days.  If it is an allergic reaction, this should get rid of the symptom (the oral yeast), but it may come back if you're exposed to the allergen again.  If it's not an allergic reaction, taking this remedy won't hurt you any...it just won't help, but at least you'll eliminate that possibility. 

Assuming it is just yeast and nothing else...have you tried putting plain yogurt directly on the affected area and leaving it there?   One of my babies used to get yeast infections on the skin of his low abdomen where the diaper rubbed.  I left his diaper off and put plain yogurt on like a cream and left it to dry...worked like a charm.  I know your mouth can't dry, but if you leave it sit on the affected skin for as long as possible, it may work better.  As a last resort, what about that sticky medicine they prescribe for oral yeast in babies...is that the Nystatin you mentioned?

Amy

Offline andraya3

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. :) I thought I'd respond to some of the questions - I am not positive that it's yeast, but I'm pretty sure it's not an allergic reaction because I am not the only one who has it - my 3 year old son got it at the exact same time I did - and I was diagnosed with a yeast infection by a dr....so I just thought I must have passed it to him before I knew I had it...and that we both have the same thing.

Yes, I've tried putting plain yougart on the area - it's really hard to keep the yougart on top of your tougue/in your mouth for a long period of time though...and it didn't work.

We also did try genetian violet - 2 times. It worked the first time and then came back. It didn't work the 2nd time at all.

We are using Nystatin now (it's the sticky yellow stuff :) ) from the dr., as well as limiting our diet very much. Mine is looking SLIGHTLY better and my son's is looking WORSE?!?! How can that be?

Sigh...it's very frustrating and I feel especially bad for my son who keeps asking WHY he can't have a piece of bread, or even a piece of fruit. :(

How long are we supposed to keep up a sugar/yeast free diet?? Also...does anyone know if it's bad if we still have dairy products? I've heard that we should cut out dairy as well - but I don't see how we can do that since I'm nursing and need some sort of fats, and my son is growing (and also is a skinny guy) and needs something to keep him going to - aka: milk and yougart. (he drinks goat milk if that makes any difference?)

Offline growinginHim

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »
For an adult you could try spraying but I would also take a mouthful and swish it and gargle it and hold it in the mouth for awhile.

I personally decided NOT to use gentian violet and would advise against it.

Tikvah,

You mentioned making a white oak bark decoction and having an adult hold the solution in their mouth for awhile.  After holding it in their mouth, do they spit the solution out or swallow the stuff?

Also, you mentioned you that you have personally decided not to use gentian violet.  Do you mind sharing why?  ??? :-[ :-\  Sorry, I am a newbie to this whole health thing and am trying to learn everything I can!  ;) :) ;D

~Rachel

Offline torpesita

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 03:08:26 AM »
When i was breastfeeding i got a terrible yeast infection on my nipples and my baby got it in her mouth as well.In addition to probiotics, i took a clove or two of garlic every day chopped into small pieces and threw it back like vitamins, washing it down with water or juice. ( alternatively you can bury the garlic in raw honey and take it that way but i found the other way more tolerable ) . I had been dealing with the yeast for a couple of months without realizing that's what it was but it was gone within 3 days of this regimend and never came back. The garlic will pass through your breastmilk to the baby which they will not only like but will be excellent for their health and the prevention of the yeast passing to them as well. Good luck!