Author Topic: How to make a yogurt starter or culture  (Read 11157 times)

Offline GarlicMom

• Adept
How to make a yogurt starter or culture
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:51:17 AM »
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/332305  You need to read the article close to the bottom of the page by wyersmd    This was very interesting and I am going to attempt it and see how it turns out.  Since we have plenty of ants and my sweet daughter got bit the other day I think they owe us ;)
This is only for the brave determined ones and you will need a long stick and keen eyes to make sure the ants don't crawl up on you.
Let me know if anyone else tries this with me and your results.
And be not weary in well doing for in due season ye shall reap if you faint not. Gal.6:9

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: How to make a yogurt starter or culture
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:57:20 PM »
I like this!  :) Do follow up on the story if you try it.

I have in the past attempted a yogurt culture with fresh raw milk and fresh, scalded milk and wild bacteria. I hold the milk at thermo loving temps (110*) as the cultures in yogurt are quite temperature sensitive and refuse to grow otherwise. Some attempts were actually quite good, it's just more than I can keep up with at the moment, when bulk starter culture is so inexpensive and available. You use a similar process of several cultured batches to increase the bacteria strength  before actually making a batch of yogurt (as described in the "ant" post.)

Wild mesophilic (buttermilk) is much easier as that is room temps.  ;)

Offline Beth

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:20:01 AM »
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/332305  You need to read the article close to the bottom of the page by wyersmd    This was very interesting and I am going to attempt it and see how it turns out.  Since we have plenty of ants and my sweet daughter got bit the other day I think they owe us ;)
This is only for the brave determined ones and you will need a long stick and keen eyes to make sure the ants don't crawl up on you.
Let me know if anyone else tries this with me and your results.

well, now that is interesting!Please let us know if you try this. I don't have access to raw milk or I might be willing to try myself.
ya learn something new everyday. :)
"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline Sewbusy

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:10:41 PM »
Perhaps the cows have a shortage of the good bacteria in their milk for the same reason we humans have shortages... Antibiotics:)  I DO know that good bacteria can be passed through milk because my nursing babies poop changes when ever I take lots of probiotics....    And I am very curious to see if this works ( not that I am willing to try :) I am just going to stick with kefir)

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 04:03:36 PM »
I have high speed internet now so hopefully I will be posting more ;D I wondered if the lady that was going to try the "ant" thing ended up doing so. And I also wondered if you can just take a good probiotic and use that as a "starter"? Is this totally absurd or has anyone tried this?

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 05:42:27 AM »
That was a pretty funny read  ;D But no, I am not going to try it.  I'll just keep using my previous batch of yogurt, or a fresh bit of the freeze-dried kind, as my starter, thank you.