Author Topic: How to deal with extreme pain  (Read 4800 times)

Offline beelover

• Learning
How to deal with extreme pain
« on: May 28, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »

I know pain is a symptom and you need to get to the bottom of it.  But what do you do when you have someone who you are trying to treat naturally and before the herbs kick they are in extreme pain.  I am talking so severe that the pain meds  just take the edge off it.

For example my mom suffers severe migraines that last anywhere from 10- 14 days some months she only has one good week out of a month. If she does not take the Maxalt she vomits uncontrollably and then her electrolytes go out of wack and she starts passing out on us.

My youngest sister for the last few months has been having on and off again extreme pain in her jaw.  the dentist can't find anything wrong with her teeth so we are suspecting TMJ. But are not sure since she also has RSD and that can cause these symptoms too

Any way we are trying to find the problem so we can treat it with herbs and the diet is pretty good.  ( They are both seeking to improve) But what can I do to help take the pain away so they don't have to take pain meds?

Also has anyone here ever known anyone personally that got rid of their migraines?  Mom has had them for twenty three years and we have spent literally thousands of dollars on natural remedies and so far nothing has worked. Thanks

Offline ladyhen

• Master
Re: How to deal with extreme pain
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 05:50:43 AM »
I haven't been able to use the 'Search' function on the site nor look through any of the Discussion boards for the topics, but there are other threads on here about finding the causes for migraines.   Wish I could find them right now so that you could read through and maybe get some ideas.   ???

I know quite a few people, including myself, who used to have migraines.  The cause isn't always easy or quick to identify, but it is worthwhile to keep trying.   It could be diet, environment, physical, pharmaceutical, hormonal, or . . . ???

I would begin by finding a chiropractor, myopracticioner, or other doctor who is proficient at spinal manipulation, cranial adjustments, herbal medicine, and possibly accupressure or accupuncture. 

For most people, eliminating chemicals from their personal care, home care, and as much as possible from their environment reduces the strain that their body has to deal with tremendously.  I was amazed at how much improvement I saw just from changing soaps, shampoo, and laundry products. 
A 'good diet' is something that most people think they have, but probably don't.  I would suggest that they eliminate processed foods as much as possible.  That means that you eat foods that are recognizable; meat that looks like meat -- not ready-made meatballs, breaded patties, lunch meats, or frozen in a sauce foods.  Fresh vegetables as much as possible, also fresh fruit.  Brown rice, whole wheat bread and pasta, beans and other legumes and nuts, fish - again, not breaded.   It is important to eat a variety of foods as close to their natural state as possible.   If you buy processed foods, look at the label and see what ingredients are in them.  Start looking up what some of these are and what they can do to you.

It will take some time to see results, too.  It took several months before I was able to see enough improvement to keep me encouraged.   

Managing pain naturally is difficult.  You have to be a detective to recognize just what triggers increases in your pain and what helps. 

Your sister's pain sounds like something that would definitely be helped by chiropractic.  I don't know what RSD is, so can't comment on that.

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 11:49:04 AM by DHW »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 05:17:24 AM »
i think migraines are a reaction to toxins (IMO).  mine were caused by aspartame (nutrasweet).  if the body continues to take the toxin into the body then the migraines will continue in spite of any medical or herbal intervention.  if the toxin has been discontinued but the reactions remain, then detoxing, or healing a leaky gut might be something to consider.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 05:19:54 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!